StarCraft® II

[Showcase]Rise of Nigma - RPG, Demo Soon!

Sorry about the double post here, but noticed your edit. Did you mean support a dragon age type of editor support?

EDIT: Just noticed your edit Malpheus - Thanks for hosting! Thanks so much.
Edited by Nunu on 10/24/2012 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
I believe we already have some support for conversation trees that was recently improved in Swarm so that mod makers could utilize it as well. It would be cool if our engine could support that type of game, and we are open to suggestions on improvements to the engine that would make it easier for you to develop. Of course, the best suggestions would be small changes that make a big difference, since we already have more good ideas than we have the resources to implement every single one of them.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Tenarsis
I believe we already have some support for conversation trees that was recently improved in Swarm so that mod makers could utilize it as well. It would be cool if our engine could support that type of game, and we are open to suggestions on improvements to the engine that would make it easier for you to develop. Of course, the best suggestions would be small changes that make a big difference, since we already have more good ideas than we have the resources to implement every single one of them.

I was using the conversation stuff earlier with just the WoL editor, and... honestly I didn't like it lol :( I am looking more forward to HotS then if you say it was improved on. I do have one small change that would make huge difference, IMO -

Make a function to get "Last Destroyed Doodad" or "Last Removed Doodad", and a Doodad Group object type to go with it. That would enable me to easily create a distance render type of option for players. This would help out a lot of third-person projects that are already FPS sensitive.

What I currently am developing is a distance render function, like mentioned above. I use Renee's "Send Actor Message to Game Region With Filters for Specified Players" function to effectively "pick" all doodads in an area outside of the player's visual render distance and set visibility. But, in order to do this, I have to go into the data editor and add in new events to set terms. It's quite annoying and I can't go through all the doodads to do this, as I'm sure to miss some.

I'm sure being able to pick doodads and set them to doodad groups would be immensely powerful to other developers as well.
Edited by Nunu on 10/24/2012 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
I'm not sure that it would be possible to implement that function without some large changes.

You should think of every condition that triggers can test or function that they can call as a synchronous state. For example when you call "Last Created Unit", that it a synchronous game value that every client will know the value of, because every client has simulated the game to that point in the exact same way.

On the other hand, Actor is completely asynchronous. This means that triggers can never test for the existence of an Actor, or do conditional logic based on the state of an Actor like whether it is visible. Any logic that needs to be done inside of Actor has to be configured through Actor Events.

One thing that came to mind when reading your post was the Macros field in Actor. You might be able to configure a set of Actor Events in an Event Macro. Event Macros are actors that solely exist to define a set of Actor Events that can be easily reused in other Actor entries.

I hope we can find some way to get what you want, or maybe even implement optimizations into the engine itself to make this unnecessary. Unfortunately it is likely to be a medium to large size task unless we can come up with some clever solutions.
Reply Quote
Data work is very difficult for me as it is - I'm no expert in it yet :( I'll try and practice around with the macros field in the future. I'll let you know my results with using Renee's functions.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Tenarsis
This looks really cool! Great work with the custom interface and visual effects. For some reason it reminds me of Dragon Age. The engine wasn't built for that type of game but we would love to support it.

The most important thing Blizzard needs to do to support projects like Nigma is working on the key-input delay. Once you use WASD or similar movement systems together with a custom interface the battle.net delay gets a big issue.

When the sc2 map editor was released, alot of people wanted to go crazy with it and develop new and innovative games, like shooters or 2D games. But all this games require custom controls and custom interfaces. Once these people realized that the battle.net delay made their maps alot less enjoyable via battle.net, alot of those people scrapped their projects and left the scene. Instead we are back to tower defense style games. Dont get me wrong - Im not saying that these games arent fun. Im just saying that its kinda sad to see such an amazing potential of the editor, but so less creativity on battle.net due to the battle.net lag problems.

Not only that it makes the movement feel sluggish, the same thing happens for the interface aswell. Trigger Dialogs suffer from battle.net delay aswell, meaning that all the UI is laggy, what makes it even worse.

I know its not an easy task to "fix" the input delay, but personally i honestly believe it would be one of the most important fixes for the Arcade ever. Map makers could finally use the full potential of the editor and develop more crazy stuff. It is nice that you guys are working on the editor and fixing alot of stuff, but compared to key delay this all are "details", so to say. The truth is that the editor itself is very very good and can do nearly everything thats imagenable, but the game engine itself is limiting it.
Edited by Mille on 10/25/2012 12:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A good amount has left tho, ego. But, a lot of great ones are still here :)
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I know I promised you this Sunday would be the demo test. However, I'm creating content at a much slower pace than I anticipated.

Thus, I am pushing it to the Sunday proceeding this one. Expect the demo on 11/11/12. Thank you for being patient for those who are following this project.

EDIT: One last thing, I am looking for a website developer to work on www.riseofnigma.com. Please contact me if interested.
Edited by Nunu on 10/30/2012 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
How did you get the text to look like it is kind of glowing like in this photo
http://postimage.org/image/fyfdp3abp/full/

I could really use that :)
Reply Quote
How did you get the text to look like it is kind of glowing like in this photo
http://postimage.org/image/fyfdp3abp/full/

I could really use that :)

That button is what I made. The text is in the image itself. Use photoshop's layer properties - Outer Glow/Inner Glow. I also have a drop down shadow on it, I believe.

EDIT: I believe the font styles in SC2 allow you to add drop shadows and glow as well.
Edited by Nunu on 10/30/2012 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Hey, Nunu.
I'm a mapmaker as well, and have been experimenting with advanced triggers latly, particularly TPS triggers. I've finished a beta build of my TPS trigger, its good, with the exception I can't seem to make it work for more than one person. Do you think I could take a look at your TPS triggers?
Reply Quote
What specifically doesn't work for more than one person, Duke?
Reply Quote
I be-leave i finally have a map to look forward to besides the blizzard dota map.

On a side note would you be adding extra content after the map is finished by making some maps what could add extra dungeons / raids?
Edited by MyStrawberry on 1/5/2013 5:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes, there will be extra content upon initial release. The first map only allows you to level up to 15, you will not get further experience past that. There will be a 16-30 map, a 31-45 map, and a 46-60 map.

There will also be a lvl 60 dungeon in the first map - so you can go back to it and revisit if you wish to.

On top of all this, I also have a planned "Main City" map which will feature just a large city for all player levels in which they can do all sorts of things, such as PvP.
Reply Quote
This is sad to split such a good project into multiple maps... if at least there could be something to allow changing map. For example, in the lobby you download all the associated maps. All players starts in the same map but then you can move on to the other maps loading them. Staying in group if possible, allow to come back to the previous map, etc.

The other thing that would be awesome is be able to constantly join a game no matter it is started, skipping the lobby. You could keep the max number of player to what it is, but allow to join special games this way. If map is full simply create a new open game and other people will join eventually.
Reply Quote
I could only dream of such features, Fenix.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Nunu
Want to play NOW? Let me know, and we can do some test runs!

I'd love to, this looks way to awesome to not play. These days, I'm mostly available in the afternoon (maybe I get on at 3PM at the earliest, or at 8PM at the latest), so I might add you and PM you next time I'm on SC2 and also notice that you're on.

10/23/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Nunu
The demo will be coming out in 1-2 weeks from today. I will be releasing a teaser video sometime soon.

I have yet to check for this demo, but I did find a vid (one that's about 1.5 years old):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUaYNbbb-8

During the vid, you said that we won't be restricted to choosing a class, but at the start of the video, there's a button for "Zealot." Is that just a skin, and there will be other skins (like DT and HT) or is it more (each has at least 1 unique spell/skill)?

Also, its been a while now, so how's it going atm?

Hope to meet you on SC2, and gl hf w/ this.

Update: Aw, there's no demo :(. Guess I'll have to find u in SC2 then Nunu.
Edited by Setho on 2/13/2013 3:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
The demo is not out - I felt it was a bad idea to release an unfinished project. Sorry about that - I am still working on a boss battle at the moment, and doing some finishing touches to ranged weapons/attacks and some skills for ranged players.

You will not be restricted to choosing a class - you have around 900 skills to choose from. There are about 30 skill trees, but you are free to go into any 30 and put points anywhere. The "Zealot" is simply a skin, yes. There will be other skins. Kerrigan will also be one. There is nothing special about the various types of characters skin you choose. You do not gain any bonus for choosing Zealot.

It has indeed been a while! I go to school, work on weekdays, and I also do other things on weekends, which leaves me with very little time for my project that I love so much. Everything is still going great, though, I promise you that.

I go on SC2 very rarely just to check out the current "competition". If you catch me, feel free to ask me to test.

Thanks for the interest!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]