StarCraft® II

[Discussion]Mockups of a potential unit wizard

I'm not sure whether this is something the developers want, but ever since launch I have been anxiously awaiting a potential unit wizard to be added. As it stands now, potentially thousands of map editors such as kids in school, young people after work, or parents with a lot of responsibilities are excluded from making maps because the skill ceiling is just too high to be tolerable.

I saw a post three days ago from a developer asking us to formulate our ideas into an actual graphic, so I took a shot hoping this would clarify what we're looking for a little bit.

What is the unit wizard?

The unit wizard is a tool for beginning map authors to create their own custom units based on existing units within the editor.

What type of units can the unit wizard create?

The unit wizard will create basic structures and units. Examples include a custom barracks that creates custom units, a missile turret customized for tower defense (will only do damage, effects still added the traditional way in data editor), or a buffed super marine to be used in your custom map.

What are the limits of the unit wizard?

The unit wizard will only create a stationary or moving unit based on your selections, with the ability to use its weapon and do the damage you specify.

The unit wizard will NOT do the following:

- Add effects, behaviors, or buffs to the weapon or unit
- Create brand new graphical effects
- Allow you to specify abilities for a unit

What is the overall goal of the unit wizard?

Our goal here is when you're done with the unit wizard you will have a basic template that can be easily modified to make your ideal unit. The model, actors, unit, weapon, damage, and footprint will be completed, leaving you to fine-tune any further details such as ramp-up speeds.

Ideally the typical user will only need to define damage counters, customize the command card, and apply effects from the weapon (such as for custom TD towers) after the wizard is done in order to have a functioning custom unit.

http://i.imgur.com/ldZTo.jpg

In this screenshot we see a new menu option available from the right click menu in the data editor. Choosing it begins the all-new unit wizard for beginning map editors.

http://i.imgur.com/0J5i7.jpg

The first step is selecting a unit to base our new unit on. The details of this unit will determine things by default such as model, projectiles used for the weapon, move speed, actors, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/0okc5.jpg

Now we're in the unit wizard. It's going to walk your hand through creating your very own custom unit, with a little help from the initial unit you selected. When this process is completed a brand new unit will be added to the data editor with working abilities, actors, models, etc. that can be modified like any other unit.

http://i.imgur.com/fPJ3Q.jpg

As you see, each time you make a selection a new menu appears asking you to further clarify what sort of unit this is going to be. The options revealed after each step can potentially change based on your selection.

http://i.imgur.com/XtVnP.jpg

Finally, when you're ready to set the basic statistics of the weapon, you can punch them into a simple field. Of course we know there's a lot more details to these units, but everything that isn't asked for here will be carried over from the unit we chose initially when starting the wizard.
Reply Quote
The problem for a long time was that people were asking for a wizard but not specifing to any certain degree exactly how it should work. It is a good start, what you have posted, and no doubt more people should input and create mockups and iron out the workflow that they wish it to have.
Reply Quote
Don't bother. Blizzard "Doesn't get what the purpose of these wizzards is" and furthermore they are not interested in acting on community suggestions.

I had a long and drawn out discussion that got nowhere and you will be just as ignored.

There is only one dev that can even be reached and the rest are "really busy". We already know what "really busy" really means don't we? We'll be seeing them in 2 years maybe.
Reply Quote
Don't bother. Blizzard "Doesn't get what the purpose of these wizzards is" and furthermore they are not interested in acting on community suggestions.

I had a long and drawn out discussion that got nowhere and you will be just as ignored.

There is only one dev that can even be reached and the rest are "really busy". We already know what "really busy" really means don't we? We'll be seeing them in 2 years maybe.

I know you made one yourself. Don't spose you could link me to it?
Reply Quote
Developer
Ash,

Thank you for posting this here, as I had no real way of responding to the thread on Reddit (I did see it on Reddit though :) ). Like I mentioned in the other thread that I just recently moved over to the custom maps forum (we have a duplicate post now unfortunately), this gives us some cool ideas of how to approach designing a system that would work for helping to automate the creation of new units.

Thanks again for posting and we'll keep all of this in mind for future development of a system of this nature. Feel free to continue the discussion in this thread, as I plan on locking the other one since it is a duplicate of this (and with you being the creator of the [OC], I'll allow this one to stay active so as to focus the discussion further).
Edited by Deletarius on 10/29/2012 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Personally, while any sort of Wizard system would be very good at this point, I would prefer flexible entity-based wizards that mapmakers can create and be used by themselves and by others.

Yes, I am aware it's much more complex to pull it off. But let's be honest, Blizzard cannot created every type of Wizard but they could do the mechanics to support all custom ones.

For ease of creation, the custom wizards can be made in XML files, added to some specific folder and would be usable by the editor.

In such idea of thought, said entity-based (ex : unit, behavior, effect, etc.) wizards can spawn any static data from the wizard itself but it can be flexible by spawning the data from yet another wizard while keeping the links correctly.

Example :

That's a long example but it would generate a SuperMarine with the wanted actor, lightning weapon, attached to the wanted behaviors.

However, the starting wizard could start from any entity type. Just it would be more logical to start from an unit, ability, behavior or other key specific ones.

(Starting) Wizard #1 : Unit
Wizard name : Create basic unit
Main entity type : Unit
Sub-Links : Creates unit linkable with an actor, a weapon, an ability and a behavior.

Chosen Unit Source : Self Wizard (forced due to being the main entity)
Chosen Unit Id : SuperMarine
Chosen Custom Data 1 (linked to Unit's Name) : Super Marine
Chosen Custom Data 2 (linked to HP) : 200
(and any other specific custom data wanted)

Chosen Actor Source : Actor Wizard #2 (named " Create a Terran Actor")

Ability Source's choices : None, Other wizard, Existing ability.
Chosen Ability Source #1 : None (when you don't want to add one with the wizard).
Chosen Ability Source #2 : None
Chosen Ability Source #3 : None
(preferably any number of them)

Weapon Source's choices : None, Other wizard, Existing weapon.
Chosen Weapon Source #1 : Weapon Wizard #3 (named "Create a Terran Weapon")
Chosen Weapon Source #2 : None

Behavior Source's choices : None, Other wizard, Existing behavior.
Chosen Behavior Source #1 : Existing "Dodge 25%" behavior. (id : Dodge25)
Chosen Behavior Source #2 : None

Wizard #2 : Actor
Wizard name : Create a Terran Actor
Main entity type : Actor
Sub-Links : None

Chosen Actor Source : Self Wizard (forced due to being the main entity)
Chosen Actor Id : SuperMarine
Chosen Custom Data 1 (linked to a choice rather than data) : Marine Model

*Due to choosing "Marine Model", it would spawn everything correctly specifically for a Marine Model including actor's sounds and whatnot*

Wizard #3 : Weapon
Wizard name : Create a Terran Weapon
Main entity type : Weapon
Sub-Links : Linkable with a Effect to the weapon.

Chosen Weapon Source : Self Wizard (forced due to being the main entity)
Chosen Weapon Id : PowerfulWeapon
Chosen Custom Data 1 (Range) : 6

Effect Source's choices : Other wizard, Existing effect.
Chosen Effect Source : Effect Wizard #4 (named "Lightning Bolt")

Wizard #4 : Effect
Wizard name : Lightning bolt
Main entity type : Effect
Sub-Links : None

Chosen Effect Source : Self Wizard (forced due to being the main entity)
Chosen Effect Id : LightningBolt
Chosen Custom Data 1 (linked to damage) : 50
Chosen Custom Data 2 (linked to a choice rather than data) : 4 lightning rebounds (Listbox of 1 to 10)
*Then it would generate all the right actors, sounds for a lightning gun*
Edited by Honejasi on 10/29/2012 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That's one extreme shown as in everything is closely related to the entity.

On the other extreme, if an entity wizard can create any needed entity along with it, it can also allow ultra-simple custom wizards (to the user) that could generate a static unit (ex : "Omega Tank") with static abilities, behaviors, weapons, etc. etc. all correctly linked to each other.
Reply Quote
Glad to see good ideas being read.
Reply Quote
Ash,

Thank you for posting this here, as I had no real way of responding to the thread on Reddit (I did see it on Reddit though :) ). Like I mentioned in the other thread that I just recently moved over to the custom maps forum (we have a duplicate post now unfortunately), this gives us some cool ideas of how to approach designing a system that would work for helping to automate the creation of new units.

Thanks again for posting and we'll keep all of this in mind for future development of a system of this nature. Feel free to continue the discussion in this thread, as I plan on locking the other one since it is a duplicate of this (and with you being the creator of the [OC], I'll allow this one to stay active so as to focus the discussion further).

Thanks a bunch for replying. I don't want to marry you into any official stance, but I was wondering what the developers thought about the learning curve involved in Galaxy Editor? I can certainly come up with more fun ideas for easing users in, but if it's a low priority issue I'm sure discussions would be better suited on other things.
Reply Quote
Developer
Ash,

Thanks a bunch for replying. I don't want to marry you into any official stance, but I was wondering what the developers thought about the learning curve involved in Galaxy Editor? I can certainly come up with more fun ideas for easing users in, but if it's a low priority issue I'm sure discussions would be better suited on other things.

We understand that there is a learning curve associated with the StarCraft 2 Editor at the moment, and we're working hard on improving the ease of use of the tools overall. Any time that you feel as though you have a cool idea on how to improve things in either a specific aspect of the editor, or have some general thoughts or ideas, please feel free to either create a post or reply to the Suggestions and Improvements thread which we have stickied: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6307501153

Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming everyone :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]