StarCraft® II

When to get gas

Hi, I'm fairly bad at Zerg and was wondering when I should be getting gas when going for a macro style. I tend to wait what I feel is far too long to be getting my geysers. Always floating thousands of minerals and never ever having any gas :(
Reply Quote
It depends on the matchup. Protoss doing a FFE you get 2 gas at 6 minutes. This assumes you're doing the 3 hatch build.

Terran I like to get double gas after I start my second set of Queens. I'll get the 2 other geysers when I saturate the natural.

Against Zerg I prefer a 10 overpool opener. I'll grab a single gas on the 16 drone after I put down a 15 hatch. I'll put 3 guys in gas and build a Baneling Nest with one of the guys in gas when I get 50. I'll grab ling speed as soon as I hit a hundred. I've found this doesn't starve me too much for minerals and allows me to get plenty of Banelings if the other person goes hyper aggressive.
Edited by Rathelm on 11/10/2012 1:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well, I usually get a single geyser after I start my nat hatch and my spawning pool so I get MB shortly after the pool is done and I can still get my two queens. I leave them in there for a quick lair tech as I haven't found a need for the extra minerals as I can still build all the drones and overlords I need and any buildings I need. Sometimes I get extra queens, sometimes I don't, I think I'm going to settle on getting 1 extra queen for now. My creep spread is pretty decent. I get a 3rd regardless before my nat is fully saturated.

Another problem I might have is I don't know when to get a macro hatch. Though with getting gas earlier this MAY not be as much of a problem.

I usually get ALL the rest of my geysers after my 3rd is up and there is a queen for it. This is at like, 12 minutes though.
2 Minutes later I have 5k minerals and 500 gas >.<
Reply Quote
It sounds like you're slow on your injects then. When I get gas early in my ZvZ build I'm mineral starved. The reason against a FFE you get gas at 6 minutes is because anytime before that you'll hurt your drone production. Macro hatches depend, but a good rule of thumb is right after you get your third. If you're going really ling heavy you may need it sooner.
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Rathelm
It sounds like you're slow on your injects then. When I get gas early in my ZvZ build I'm mineral starved. The reason against a FFE you get gas at 6 minutes is because anytime before that you'll hurt your drone production. Macro hatches depend, but a good rule of thumb is right after you get your third. If you're going really ling heavy you may need it sooner.
I'm slow on injects later, early on I inject as the timer is up. I have nothing else to do really, all the macro is in one spot, so it's easy. I'm getting better at it later.
You may be mineral starved when you get gas early but I don't get gas early.

Maybe I'm injecting fine but not droning enough.

I use lings for defense and react to my enemy's composition accordingly.
Reply Quote
when to get gas is also a mystery for me, it's just that it doesn't get talked about a lot.
Reply Quote
yeah I think your problem is your drone count. I ALWAYS go for fast ling speed so I get my first gas as soon as my first queen pops out. I get ling speed, and then when I have another 150 gas I get my lair and my 2nd gas, then I drop my two evo chambers and get double gas at my nat. After that how many other geysers I get depend on what unit comp that I'm getting. Muta/ling/roach I'll usually get one more geyser at the third, ultra/brood/ling or ultra/infestor/muta I'll constantly be running out of gas so every base I have will get double gassed even if theres no drones on minerals.

I hope that helped!
Reply Quote
it depends on the build, but in general vs toss u want to take 2 gas at 6:00 and another 2 a little later, around when the first 2 finish is a good time. against zerg u want to take 1 gas fairly early, 17 supply is when i do it. vs terran u can do almost anything. some will take gas before pool, others will take no gas until they are on 3 base.
Reply Quote
i prefer a speedling expand lately so i 14gas14pool a lot. just really helps to have that early map control to see what my opponent is doing and how i wanna react in the early game. Since most everybody plays super greedy early on now out of pure fear of brood infestor i feel like zergs gonna have a lot more early game aggression options start to pop up in the future
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]