StarCraft® II

[Discussion][Suggestion]Battle.net Store

Edit: I dont expect anything to be done with this, I just like thinking up ideas, Thinking them all the way through and putting them on paper :P But if blizzard decides to take any part of this, I would be greatly honored.

Okay so Friday night I was looking over the battle.net forums and I saw an idea to have a marketplace for quick match. It was basic, you win a game you get 10000 credits, you go on with your life. So I started thinking this is what it turned itno

Battle.net Custom Games Shop.

Okay Heres the idea, A NEW UI shop where you buy portriats, Background pictures(New UI),Decals, and in the future Soundtracks to override your in game ones.

FAQ

What do I use to purchase These items?

Well I was thinking everytime you play a Custom game, as long as you stay in game for 10 minutes, you get 1,000 Credits win or lose doesn't matter, If you play a game that isn't in the top 10 maps you get 2,000 credits. This would Discourage playing page 1 maps every time and encourage trying new maps. You could also get an extra 250 or 500 credits for writing a review that is over 50 characters long. also another promising system, is to get credits every 10 minutes while in game, 1000 every ten minutes, as long as your not afk. if you go afk the timer for credits will stop.

Are there any other ways to earn?

• The campaign Awards 500 + 500 * difficulty easy is just 500 normal is 1000, etc
  • Quick match awards 1000 + a 500 Win bonus
  • An Online bonus Every hour you accumulate 500 bonus credits
  • What kind of Items?
  • Portraits(WoW portraits could be put here)
  • Decals(WoW symbols pandarian, or Vyrkul)(and diablo)
  • Background Pictures, Where that picture of Kerrigan as a ghost is in the new UI, that should be changeable by buying a Picture from the store.
  • UI Colors, I noticed that all new Ui, is not race specific, but a sleek new awesome blue thin outline, that should be changeable to any color we wish to have.
  • Mini Games, Future thing not right now, Games like Lost Viking Created by Blizzard of course. Just single player for fun games
  • Melee Loading Screens - Override the old loading screens in quick match with fun pictures created at blizzard, fan art would also be acceptable.
  • Name Changes( I would suggest one of the more expensive items meaning if a player plays 250 games he can change his name) Does not affect battle tag
  • WoW time?( Questionable i know, but this would give something to hardcore blizzard fans)
  • How Can Blizzard Monetize this?
  • Sell Credits online Example For 10$ you can buy 100,000 Credits( Would be the amount needed for like 2 portraits.)
  • Sell Cedits Per game Boost example: for 25$ you can boost your Credits you earn per game from 1000 to 2000.
  • If you decided to sell WoW time like this, you might actually encourage many who left to Re-join and then they would renew their subscriptions with real money if they didnt feel like playing the probably, 100-200 games needed to get the time.

• Benefit for casual players?

• Less Competition in wins or losses, because you are still going toward a goal
  • A prize for playing custom games.
  • Something that will never end that can be grinded forever
  • Benefit for mappers?

• More players to play our maps
  • Contructive feedback
  • A better chance for a player to play our maps over the page 1 list.
  • Battle.net 2.0 May actually feel fixed for us haha.
  • Possible Problems/Solutions

Problem: Players may leave games for the credits.

Solution: Players only get credits if Victory conditions or defeat conditions are met, OR a player must stay in game for atleast 10 minutes.

Problem: Players May Join games just for the credits

Solution: So? haha, Thats actually fine, they may join a game and try it and love it.

Problem: If the above Problem was solved by making them wait(which is the better of the 2), then players would have to stay in games they dont like for 10 minutes

Solution: They can still get out of game and write the review to recieve 500 points, So they would still get something. But they would have to write a decent review
    Edited by IShadowWolf on 6/1/2013 3:54 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Come to think of it, this is exactly how I thought the Xbox Live Achievement score and Microsoft points would work HAHAHA.

except in that you only got credits for getting Achievements.
    Reply Quote
    This doesn't really work with unit preloader as one of the custom games.
    Reply Quote
    You shouldn't get Points for that anyways... lol... that's very pointless, and isn't a game. Its a great thing to have I suppose, but you don't get rewarded, for not playing a game. lol.
    Reply Quote
    Wow lol, some really intelligent Responses going on haha.
    Reply Quote
    major loop holes in your idea, here's one that's very simple. I can make a map where as soon a you load, you win/lose, people spam it and get points. You don't even need to go that far, people will play shorter games more just because it's more efficient to get points.
    Reply Quote
    I think the concept could work if you got credits for playing regular games as well like the origional idea.

Forcing people to play customs to get access to this stuff even when they hate customs would just make people resentful. But making it more efficient than laddering to earn points by playing less known customs would be an effective method to nudge people towards exploring new maps.

getting points for reviewing maps would lead to terrible reviews. Don't like this suggestion.
    Reply Quote
    I think the concept could work if you got credits for playing regular games as well like the origional idea.

Forcing people to play customs to get access to this stuff even when they hate customs would just make people resentful. But making it more efficient than laddering to earn points by playing less known customs would be an effective method to nudge people towards exploring new maps.

getting points for reviewing maps would lead to terrible reviews. Don't like this suggestion.

10/28/2012 05:11 PMPosted by CaveOfWondrs
    major loop holes in your idea, here's one that's very simple. I can make a map where as soon a you load, you win/lose, people spam it and get points. You don't even need to go that far, people will play shorter games more just because it's more efficient to get points.

I mean no offense to either of you, but i dont think you both read the entire thing.

1. I actually Put taht in the possible problems section, I put that if you make it so you have to stay in a game for atleast 10 minutes, that would fix the problem without fail.

2. I also put you get some for Quick match with a small bonus for winning QM, also you get some for Campaign. There are multiple ways to earn.

Glad you read it and both have Viable reasoning's
    Reply Quote
    cool!
    Reply Quote
    Okay so Friday night I was looking over the battle.net forums and I saw an idea to have a marketplace for quick match. It was basic, you win a game you get 10000 credits, you go on with your life. So I started thinking this is what it turned itno

Battle.net Custom Games Shop.

The intro makes it sound like you were thinking of a "custom games shop" instead of or seperate to the origional idea. Not in addition to it.

I think you have restructured/edited your post since my post but you probably mentioned that you would also get points for quickmatch as well. It is in there now but sorry if I didn't notice that bit the first time through.

Actually I just skim read the new leveling changes that Blizz are bringing in.
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7681240/Heart_of_the_Swarm_Preview_Leveling-10_25_2012

It sounds like they are working on something simillar. I like the less well known maps = more points idea.

players earn experience while playing Blizzard matchmaking modes and custom games on Blizzard maps.

The Leveling system is how you will earn most portraits and decals in Heart of the Swarm.

They would want to keep a consistant theme across their UI but I don't see why that has to mean only one background image.
    Reply Quote
    Theme? Honestly I love the new UI, but the theme seems to just be New Age, the only thing that is Race themed, is the Metal frame. if that was removed then they could make it where we could change its colors and everything else :P

and yeah that was actually in the original post, the only thing I have edited is when I added in the top 2 or 3 sentences, Cant blame ya if you missed it, its a bit long haha.
    Reply Quote
    I was doing some more thinking today, and the only issue I could see, is if they did decide to continue with their plans for the map marketplace. that could Interfere With something such as this, It could be added as a new tab though too, So it could work like that, ACTUALLY come to think of it.

What if. They did it similar to the League of Legends Marketplace. ? Where you CAN spend your money on it, or you could buy it with a really high amount of credits?

I mean this would be a new Buisness model for them, and for the world possibly, Because they would be Giving mappers the money exchange but they would get active players Play time to build up the credits.

It would be evened out, Similar to Riots system, like I said it would be new, and this would help further Monetize places. I'm only a Mapper, so I dont know much about Finances :P But I think it would be a good number. me thinks anyways hah.
    Reply Quote
    10/27/2012 03:59 PMPosted by IShadowWolf
    You shouldn't get Points for that anyways... lol... that's very pointless, and isn't a game. Its a great thing to have I suppose, but you don't get rewarded, for not playing a game. lol.
    You seriously scatter "lol" too much in to your posts.

Also, they had a point, you said win or lose doesn't matter you get points. So therefore someone makes a map that insta-wins or loses you as soon as you start and you just farm credits that way. It's impossible to create any kind of progression from the arcade because custom maps can literally abuse anything. It would have to be from Blizzard made or sponsored maps, like when they spotlight an arcade game they just add their tag to it and voila! a system is born.
    Reply Quote
    11/21/2012 03:43 PMPosted by RuneK
    You seriously scatter "lol" too much in to your posts.

Also, they had a point, you said win or lose doesn't matter you get points. So therefore someone makes a map that insta-wins or loses you as soon as you start and you just farm credits that way. It's impossible to create any kind of progression from the arcade because custom maps can literally abuse anything. It would have to be from Blizzard made or sponsored maps, like when they spotlight an arcade game they just add their tag to it and voila! a system is born.
    Sorry for the late reply :P I actually just came here to bump, and ask for a redirect to the new Suggestions forums haha.

Okay then. lets see. Thats true as you say people COULD abuse it, But thats why other measures would be put into place such as the 10 minute Rule, So even if they are abusing it, they are still just sitting in a game for 10 minutes waiting for the Victory, and of course blizzard could ban these types of maps with some very simple rules added to the publishing of maps, Make it so they cant publish a map without it having so much changed on the Arcade. Not a perfect solution but a solution none the least.

Also Can any Blizzard Developer reading this Move this to Suggestions?
    Reply Quote
    Well its been a while and I thought I should necro this again. I still think its a great idea, that would really be fruitful in bringing the arcade to even terms with the ladder.
    Reply Quote
    For the sake of bringing discussion to this idea that has never been bumped I stopped the Necronuke button and used a revive!
    Reply Quote
    For the sake of bringing discussion to this idea that has never been bumped I stopped the Necronuke button and used a revive!
    lol its in customs games its got a whole week before it goes off page haah.
    Reply Quote
    Here is a little problem:

There will be no more effort put into the arcade on their part. They clearly don't really want it. They are supporting it because it does increase revenue and probably profit but their hearts are set on the singular goal of esports.

The official number of StarCraft 2 sales (around release) was nearly 4.5 million copies.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_II:_Wings_of_Liberty
    As of December 2010, the game has sold nearly 4.5 million units.[78]

Heart of the Swarm on the other hand sold 1.1 million copies in a similar situation. That is shortly after release.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_II:_Heart_of_the_Swarm
    The game sold approximately 1.1 million copies worldwide in its first two days on sale,[33] and was the top-selling PC game for the first quarter of 2013.[34]

StarCraft 2's recorded sales history goes something like this:
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_II:_Wings_of_Liberty
    On August 3, 2010, Blizzard announced that StarCraft II sold more than one million units worldwide within one day of its release. After two days, when Blizzard began selling the game as a digital download on its website, approximately 500,000 additional units of the game were sold, bringing the total up to 1.5 million worldwide and making it the fastest-selling strategy game of all time.[77

Now since HotS is an expansion for a game that's been out for nearly 2 years I think its reasonably safe to conclude that the bulk of the sales will be in the first month or so and that pre-orders will make up a far larger portion of the total sales.

I think its clear they took some losses. It could be that only one in two people actually bought HotS.

Did the arcade revive with HotS?

The answer is obviously no. The mapping community themselves were divided on this point and I think it's clear which general group was actually showing a clear capacity to reason on this account.

Now lets ask, is Blizzard likely to spend the kind of man hours (and therefore money) to redesign battle.net to the specifications you are talking about?

And please remember that the StarCraft 2 Programmers do not work on Battle.net. That is an entirely separate and understaffed (see Blizzard jobs) department/team and furthermore its quite clear that every member of that team is embroiled with the Titan project.

Granted doing that was the exact same mistake they made last time:
    HotS - Titan
    WoL - D3

I think over here we can all say where their Battle.net development team would be better spending their time but we are very unlikely to get them back to do any work on the arcade until we get closer to LotV. And even then they are in no way set up for the kind of system that a money market would require to work and furthermore they have absolutely no experience with the Free 2 Play model and so far every single person they have brought in to do that stuff for them has failed horribly (and a few careers ruined too).

Blizzard just isn't the dream company it used to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what can be done? If there is anything it will probably be with whatever spare capacity their community management team and their programming staff can free up. Budgets are unlikely to be granted for much of anything on this count.

Rock in a hard place.

So what can they do for time instead of for direct money?

One of the biggest things the arcade community needs is centralized organization.

Here is a thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8569327800

Now I obviously cannot do jack to get that moving and SC2mapster also failed in the end.

However, run the scenario through your minds. A project like that but organized by a community manager or developer.

No much involved: A sticky, a few signup threads (mentor and apprentice) and some method, probably forums, of getting the master and apprentice to work on it And a few free and legal software links (like Teamviewer, Skype, Dropbox, LogMeIn's viewer, TeamSpeak, etc).

The community can make it run but Blizzard has that "magic blue" that seems to make people actually take something seriously.

Bottom Line: There is little to no chance that the arcade will be changed. And there are too few new maps to make any changes to any good regardless.

One of the things that would help would be to organize the community but since all community efforts have proven a failure such organization has to come from Blizzard.
    Remember the "magic blue".
    Reply Quote
    I never thought it would happen :/ It was just an idea, way to not discuss the idea :P
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]