StarCraft® II

supply is not always +8

Is there a reason why sometimes you get plus 11 for a supply depot? In my build orders, my supply cap jumped from 51 to 62.

sometimes it's from 35 to 46.

This seems rather imbalanced and strange. One player gets an advantage at a random time over the other.

I don't know if this happens with the other races. I don't think it happens with protoss, as I usually play protoss, although I haven't gone through my replays as protoss.
Edited by hurdler on 10/30/2012 5:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 05:56 PMPosted by hurdler
Is there a reason why sometimes you get plus 11 for a supply depot?

You don't.
Reply Quote
A command Center gives +11 which is why you see jumps of 11
Reply Quote
oh wow. I never knew that. Thanks! I was trying to google if this was a glitch or not, or whether it was the result of a recent patch or I had just gone crazy since I didn't actually see a supply depot in the replay. Is this for every command center?

Also, what is the reason for this? Is it because the other races don't have to have a worker building their version of the cc? (although this kind of isn't true for zerg, but zerg has to deal with that with all their buildings)
Edited by hurdler on 10/30/2012 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
nexus gives 10 and Hatchery gives 2 i believe.
And yes this goes for every base you build
Reply Quote
OOOH.. Ok. Thanks! Yea, now that I think about it more, I thought I had seen max supply counts that weren't correct mod 8 but never had the patience to figure out why.

again, is there a reason for this?

edit: derp, I guess it's because that's what you start off with...., with the exception of zerg.

edit 2: I never fail to be impressed with the design of this game. They really do think of everything.
Edited by hurdler on 10/30/2012 6:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OOOH.. Ok. Thanks! Yea, now that I think about it more, I thought I had seen max supply counts that weren't correct mod 8 but never had the patience to figure out why.

So that in the beginning of the game, each race has the correct amount of supply.

CC = 11.
Nexus = 10.
Hatch = 2 + 8 (from Overlord).

As to why the CC has 11... Who knows? Been like that since Brood War, and so that's what it is.

10/30/2012 06:16 PMPosted by hurdler
edit: derp, I guess it's because that's what you start off with...., with the exception of zerg.
:D! Don't worry about it. We all ask dumb questions. I knew a guy who once asked why all his workers were dying randomly.
We all told him it was the invisible protis sni-
But it was actually Dark Temp-
Edited by IndigO on 10/30/2012 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ahh ok. I am relatively new (never played brood war), so I don't know much about sc1.

Maybe terran has the extra supply because when scv's are building depots/cc's, it's like one less supply that can be used to do other useful work? And if you play correctly, you should have at least one scv building a depot for most of the game (up til 200)

yea and I take back my exception to zerg comment, as I forgot you get an ov at the beginning.
Edited by hurdler on 10/30/2012 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 06:19 PMPosted by IndigO
As to why the CC has 11... Who knows? Been like that since Brood War, and so that's what it is.
In BW it was 10 supply. It was increased to 11 to offset the boost Chronoboost gets Protoss.
Reply Quote

So that in the beginning of the game, each race has the correct amount of supply.

CC = 11.
Nexus = 10.
Hatch = 2 + 8 (from Overlord).

10/30/2012 06:16 PMPosted by hurdler
:D! Don't worry about it. We all ask dumb questions. I knew a guy who once asked why all his workers were dying randomly.
We all told him it was the invisible protis sni-
But it was actually Dark Temp-

It's like that because SCVs have to build and will go idle from mining, other workers don't and you can only build one SCV at a time in comparison to Zerg which lose the drone when they go to build, which btw they don't need a lot of buildings to build anyways so the point is moot. The 11 supply is to keep each race steadily making workers in the early game.

If I remember Each race besides Terran make a supply generator at 9. Terran which is 10, bringing the count for Terran workers mining to 9.
Edited by KoKoRo on 10/31/2012 1:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You mean you'd never noticed how at the beginning of the game, with nothing but your command center, you start off at 11 supply? : P
Reply Quote
nexus gives 10 and Hatchery gives 2 i believe.
And yes this goes for every base you build

Hatcheries are 2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]