StarCraft® II

edit: mech questions

Anyone tried this in midgame?

Generally zergs seem to get rely on infestors or roaches or both to get them to hive tech. Scanning and seeing a whole bunch of infestors really makes me not want to attack. Any thoughts on getting some ghosts and emp'ing in mid game before hive tech? i feel like from there i can pretty much just kill him if i get good emps.

I thought about it in late game but i feel like ravens are a better choice then.
Edited by John on 11/2/2012 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
not really worth it, siege tanks are mech's counter to infestors and roaches

if you are a rich terran , do it
make all ghosts, it sounds fun
but if youre playing for reals just more tanks XD
Reply Quote
Seems like it would be tough considering you wouldn't have the barracks to produce many of them. Though I've never seen Terran use ghosts on me unless it was already bio heavy and I had ultras.
Reply Quote
Ghost EMP vs Templars is good because Toss makes about 2-6 at most

Infestors are made in the double digits. By the time you make enough Ghosts to emp them mass lings/roach kills you. In the old days yes, when only 4-8 infestors lumbered about. Then having 4-10 ghosts didn't eat up too much of your supply--but now that it's infestors gone wild, emping down 4-5 infestors means that the other 15 will still kill you.

Better to use tanks to zone out the infestors and prevent them from hitting instead of using ghost to counteract them.

Its not that Ghosts are bad vs infestors, it's just the nature of he matchup. However, if they brought back the old version of snipe and just simply had it say "can't target massive" or "-20 damage to massive" then I can see how having midgame ghosts to push through the current 6queen trend would be an effective strat. 2-3 ghosts sniping down 2-3 queens during the push to allow your hellions to break through would be a nice play.
Reply Quote
thanks, i agree. Next question.

Is there a point at which i HAVE to push with mech? I generally just try to outlast the zerg.

However on certain maps this hasnt been working.

For instance on cloud kingdom after my 4th, is there a position i can set up at to defend if i try to take a 5th? The 5th being that far corner position.

Im not sure how to defend and make it so he cant just go right into my natural. Ideas?
Reply Quote

Is there a point at which i HAVE to push with mech? I generally just try to outlast the zerg.

For instance on cloud kingdom after my 4th, is there a position i can set up at to defend if i try to take a 5th? The 5th being that far corner position.

Im not sure how to defend and make it so he cant just go right into my natural. Ideas?

nope
you can literally just sit there bro
just make sure to make the craziest most exotic/ridiculous army mix and max ups + pfs everywhere

iive actually had a couple of games where i end up losing my army to his after we mine the map out and it's hilarous.. you dont realize how much !@#$ they need to kill all the PF's you made throughout the game.
Reply Quote

nope
you can literally just sit there bro
just make sure to make the craziest most exotic/ridiculous army mix and max ups + pfs everywhere

iive actually had a couple of games where i end up losing my army to his after we mine the map out and it's hilarous.. you dont realize how much !@#$ they need to kill all the PF's you made throughout the game.

I've had a couple of games like this, where I was mined out on all but 1 base, we just had a big trade, and I'm like "crap, I've only got 3 Thors, 2 Tanks and some Hellions. I'm so dead!" and then he sends a handful of lings and maybe some desperation Drones, then gg's, and I'm like "Oh, OK..???".

I watch the replay and find out that he was completely mined out. :D
Reply Quote

Tactically speaking, the base in the corner is the best spot to take as a 5th because you can position your main army up the ramp from your 4rth and be able to move back and forth between the two bases assuming you PF+Bunker up the ramp to your nat.

Once you're at 5 base you can turn that stretch of land between your third and the fifth (above/below your 4rth) and just add more production facilities doubling the size of your base.

At which point your 6th expansion should be the open base near the natural/watchtower as you're now trying to deny expansions.

There's no "need" to push--but you *should* be developing your map position. The longer the game goes the more Planetaries you build to keep runbys honest.
Reply Quote
thanks guys. Now lets say im positioned right at the top of that ramp after my 4th, so im defending my 5th. And he gets his entire army of say....roach ling ultra and goes for my natural, the PF slows him down, but at that point should i go for a base trade?
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 02:19 PMPosted by John
thanks guys. Now lets say im positioned right at the top of that ramp after my 4th, so im defending my 5th. And he gets his entire army of say....roach ling ultra and goes for my natural, the PF slows him down, but at that point should i go for a base trade?

The "correct" answer is that you're scouting should spot him before he gets to your ramp and your planetary will stall him for the 3-5 seconds it takes your army to engage him.

The "realistic/non-pro" answer is "it depends"

In general, if your army has to get through a wall of spines before it hits the first hatch, I'd turn back and save my main. (You can float your production to the space between the third and 5th since that area should be secure and you'll be maxed anyway)

Between extra planetaries and macro orbitals you shouldn't feel too hurt by the loss of supply depots at the main. The addons should be fine since if you're maxed you won't need all your buildings producing non-stop.

So it depends on how many planetaries you have, where they are, how many spines zerg have, where those are, and judging if you can race based on that.

But you should really intercept before their main army hits a weak point in your defense. Planetary + wall should stop runbys and backstabs, but it will only last seconds vs a main army even with scvs.

If you're running out of mineral patches you could also leave extra SCVs at PFs on autorepair and depend on Mules for mining mins.

I don't have the multitask to do all that though, so I know it's really hard and there's a reason pro players can do it and I can't.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]