StarCraft® II

Rotate Minimap

I am looking to rotate the minimap for a player to 180 degrees of normal

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Reply Quote
As far as I know mate it is not possible - it is something that has been suggested to us but I could never implement - and I forgot to ask Blizzard for it. I presume it would theoritically be possible but would require a native function from Blizzard.

It might be wise to bump your post Monday morning in case it is lost off the first page, but I doubt it :) If I remember I will link the reps to this post because I am interested in an answer as well.
Reply Quote
thanks for the interest, rotating the minimap would be extremely useful in the game i am making (starcraft version of battleship :D). It could also be useful for rpg's where when moving a unit the minimap could be zoomed in to the unit, and rotate the direction the unit is looking.

here's hoping blizzard likes the idea too.
Reply Quote
have you tried the dialogs? use the minimap template then rotate it...
Some minimap features wont work on dialogs.
Reply Quote
It would be better if there was a custom function to do it, because at least for my project I need all minimap functions available.

This has been said to us many times that our second team should have the camera rotated by 180 - so in _your_ view, regardless what team you are on it is always on the left - which is what we want to do (because then it matches the dynamic UI).

However, if we do that then the minimap is "upside-down" for the second team which leads to all kinds of bad problems (we actually implemented this for a couple of tests). It might not be possible to have a dynamically rotating minimap from a unit rotation point of view (which can theoritically be implemented) as it might take too long to implement vs other things that are badly needed ... but ...

I honestly would just be really happy with a single 180 rotation (or even pushing it to 90 degree rotations), because then that would theoritically fit in the UI (even though the minimap isn't a perfect square for 90).
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 04:10 AMPosted by Dogmai
It might not be possible to have a dynamically rotating minimap from a unit rotation point of view (which can theoritically be implemented)

As far as the rotating minimap for an RPG goes, it is simply theoretical, i haven't tried it yet, but i figure that it should be possible to set the minimap settings to a region (via the set camera bounds trigger) then move the region to a unit whenever the unit moves (probably a periodic event) then the minimap would update for that. and the rotating, would just be gravy for a thing like that.

the map would basically look similar to a call of duty map where your character is always at the center of the minimap but the minimap therefore moves with, and rotates with your hero.
Reply Quote
I have tried hooking this up as a Panel within a dialog.

Dialog - Hooks up an existing Panel in the standard UI called "UIContainer/ConsoleUIContainer/MinimapPanel/Minimap"

And although this can be resized etc, it cannot be rotated.

Xuzaca, saviour of souls, where are thou be?
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]