StarCraft® II

When to attack a Terran

Back with more questions on playing on the ladder.

One of my recent games was a ZvT. I was ahead in almost every way (more bases (up to 6 to his 4), had brood lords, etc.), but I lost because I had to leave so I could live the afk part of my life.

My main point is: When do you attack a Terran if you can beat his armies?

I tried an overlord doom drop w/ lings, but he had to many turrets and slightly rebuilt an army (up to a few tanks and some thors). I recovered from that and might have tried something else, but I couldn't bring in the gg before i hit my gtg mark.

Can I normally just A-move w/ blords and corruptors after killing an army?

My idea is to figure out how to end a game sooner when ahead, not to hear people say "you should have planned better" (situation was that I woke up about an hour early, and decided to fire up SC2 for a few rounds, and I only got in a loss vs a cheese ray rush (forgot to scout) that was around 15ish game minutes, and this ZvT that lasted approx 40ish game mins).

btw, if I remember, he used hellion/thor, and didn't build up to properly counter blords, at least right away (he prob had viks when I considered A-moving w/ blords).

Side question: how well do corruptors counter viks?
Reply Quote
I suggest never attacking unless you have Broodlords. If you find yourself at an advantage, extend it by expanding and upgrading.

Also corrupters are terrible AA, primarily make them as meat shields for infestors to throw up IT's and fungals on the air units.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Setho
One of my recent games was a ZvT. I was ahead in almost every way (more bases (up to 6 to his 4), had brood lords, etc.), but I lost because I had to leave so I could live the afk part of my life.

That does not mean you are ahead...

Is each base either mined out or saturated? Saturation means that 3 workers per mineral. 24 workers per mining base. If you just have 6 bases and some of the bases as macro hatches you are not ahead yet. You can still die by getting broodlords. Broodlords does not means that you win. Many zergs make the same mistake of going strait for broodlords before ultras and just DIE to bio-mech's fast paced marine shutter steping style.

Can I normally just A-move w/ blords and corruptors after killing an army?

Maxed? 3-3? then 1-a...

Side question: how well do corruptors counter viks?

Infestors imba :P :P :P jk
Build infestors...
Reply Quote
Build a lot of banelings and attack him
Reply Quote
The short answer is never, especially in the early game. Terran are pretty much invincible to early aggression.

You can start pounding him with Brood Lords or poke in with mutas (if for some reason you have them), there are very few circumstances short of an all-in that you can just walk in his front door and start blowing !@#$ up.

You should only attack him with your main army when he isn't in his base. Set up a flank and come at him from all sides when he is moving across the map. If he has tanks, try to run in when they aren't set up. When you've whittled down his main army you can remax and start pressuring his front door, do as much damage as you can before he pushes you away again.

If he is turtling, keep a scout on him and slowly take over the map while denying any expansions for him. Burrowed lings at his close options and another patrol ling to check for ninjas is pretty effective.

That's my strategy.
Reply Quote
or poke in with mutas (if for some reason you have them)

i normally go ling/bling into mutas into blords vs terran. You're saying getting mutas every time is a bad idea?
Reply Quote
That does not mean you are ahead...

Is each base either mined out or saturated? Saturation means that 3 workers per mineral. 24 workers per mining base. If you just have 6 bases and some of the bases as macro hatches you are not ahead yet. You can still die by getting broodlords. Broodlords does not means that you win. Many zergs make the same mistake of going strait for broodlords before ultras and just DIE to bio-mech's fast paced marine shutter steping style.

3workers per mineral patch is bad go for 16 on minerals for up to 4 bases cuz your zerg
Reply Quote
it honestly just comes with experience. watch your replays and see what openings you find. i used to never play aggressive vs terran but lately they play super greedy or do the 1/1/1 hellion banshee thing that they now cry cuz queens can kill off the aggresssion. I personally think hellion banshee openings should be all in but apparently teching straight to T2 is something only terrans are allowed to do. Honestly when was the last time you saw 2 quick air units from toss or zerg cause so much trouble
Reply Quote
push with broodlords while dropping a bunch of zerglings in his main base.

dropping is great, but doomdropping isn't. you don't want to engage him in one place, you want to engage him in many locations, especially if he is on 4 bases.

The real damage comes from getting units in his production line
you can take out two terran bases with broodlords, and his counterattacks can take out two of yours, and this low money situation favours the terran, because he can still make marines -

that's why you want to get lings into his barracks so that he can't reinforce enough to defend the broodlords.

a proper broodlord army will be broodlord/infestor/corruptor. The corruptors are ok against vikings, not great, but as soon as you get a few good fungals hurting a lot of vikings, your corruptors again a huge edge. The infestors also keep marines from walking up to your broodlords and killing them. other ground support (ling/bane) is good too, but keep them behind the broodlords for as long as possible.
Reply Quote
to add what oboeman just said you can also go for nydus play when u are engaging one base with ur main army. I watched TLO do it and it was pretty sweet
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 07:48 PMPosted by Setho
i normally go ling/bling into mutas into blords vs terran. You're saying getting mutas every time is a bad idea?

I wouldn't say it is a bad idea, it is certainly viable. It's just not very popular in the current metagame. Mutas are quite easily shut down and don't have a very long window before they become obsolete. They are also quite gas heavy, they detract from infestors and delay brood lords.

Personally I think they're a bit of a coin toss, but at the end of the day if you are getting consistent good use out of them then that's what matters.
Reply Quote
push with broodlords while dropping a bunch of zerglings in his main base.

dropping is great, but doomdropping isn't. you don't want to engage him in one place, you want to engage him in many locations, especially if he is on 4 bases.

The real damage comes from getting units in his production line
you can take out two terran bases with broodlords, and his counterattacks can take out two of yours, and this low money situation favours the terran, because he can still make marines -

that's why you want to get lings into his barracks so that he can't reinforce enough to defend the broodlords.

a proper broodlord army will be broodlord/infestor/corruptor. The corruptors are ok against vikings, not great, but as soon as you get a few good fungals hurting a lot of vikings, your corruptors again a huge edge. The infestors also keep marines from walking up to your broodlords and killing them. other ground support (ling/bane) is good too, but keep them behind the broodlords for as long as possible.

Would you reccomend using ling drops and the Brood lord army in every ZvT? I usually use ling infestor ultra but my ZvT isn't the greatest. I pretty much do not use brood lords which I can see as a huge crutch to my play.

I don't know any of the timings for when to tech to broods because when I do it's either too soon on too few base or too late and I'm being destroyed by a push. Do you have any replays kicking around?
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 10:53 PMPosted by Oboeman
you don't want to engage him in one place, you want to engage him in many locations, especially if he is on 4 bases.

11/14/2012 12:45 AMPosted by Nightwolf
nydus play

So I should be bringing up nydus worms in key places (not just in his main) so I can be all over the place and possibly psych out the opponent? In what match ups (if any) is that a good strategy?
Reply Quote
I dunno Daisy Cutter, I feel like when I play against T If i go fast Zling/banes I can do early aggression and easily take over the map. then build mutas to deny drops/expansions. and then march down his front door with roaches. I almost always try to make my games as fast as possible. If I find myself needing to get infestors I failed.
Reply Quote
Unless you can take out his production facilities, NEVER assume a Terran is out of the game and you can just a-move. They will spam MULES, then spam Marines. Even if you have taken out his mining SCVs, it is still possible for him to have a collection rate of ~3,000 with sufficient MULES.

Once you kill off his army, ling runby for his production. As for the multiple Nydus, it can be fun, but it is pretty gas-heavy/higher risk, so I would only do it when you're way ahead or know he doesn't have any way to counter it in a timely matter/before it is cost effective.
Reply Quote
General rule of thumb:
Any time terran expands, they are vulnerable to attack.
Any time you have a tech lead, you may be able to attack.

Just because you can attack doesn't mean you should. Not every attack will end the game, but some will cripple your opponent and make the game easy to win. Most games won't have to go to broodlord infestor for you to win if you can identify the correct moments to attack.

Here's a few examples:
Terran grabs an early expansion:
- Small swarm of lings (12-20, preferably when speed is finishing if you went 16 gas).
- Ling baneling (Hits later then the speedling pack, easier to counter with hellions. Useful if they delayed tech in favor of a proxie 2 rax expand).
- Roach Ling (4-7 roaches, make lings while moving across the map). Countered by bunkers
- Roach ling baneling. (Puts you all in, Terran must scout it and have good building placement/reaction to survive.)

None of those attacks have to win the game, but the more you invest the more damage needs to be done. All of these attacks can be stopped, but they work at all skill levels, even pro. If a terran does a 3 barracks wall, it's usually best not to attack, though you may pick off addons if they are sticking out.

Reading your opponent and responding properly makes a big difference. Similarly denying scouting or misleading your opponent is important. If they think you went 3 hatch they won't expect an attack, you could cancel the 3rd hatch and go all in. Deception requires a certain level of competence on your opponents part so it may be best to skip until you know your opponent will scout.

When terran takes a 3rd base can also be a good time to attack, but the longer the game plays the more generalized our suggestions have to be. The best advice is to scout expansions so you know when it's happening and can choose to attack if you want. Denying expansions (overlord goop, burrowed lings) can win games. When you see your opponent trying to expand, you attack and draw their army out of their fortified position. Having an extra 30 seconds to respond is huge.

*In the last MLG Startale's player Life showed great use of zerglings by sending his initial zerglings to his opponents 3rd base. When they had hellions moving across the map and went to expand, he denied the expansion with his 6 (may have been 4) lings and forced the hellions back to terran's base. This is normally when zerg would be defending against hellion pressure and trying to deal with the early creep contain terran applies.

You don't have to invest a lot into your attacks to make attacking worthwhile.

A tech based attack timing would be:
- Roaches hit the field (counter hellions/poke the front)
- Mutas hit the field. (hit their SCV line before they have turrets up)
- ling speed finishes (you now control the map until hellions are out)
- Baneling speed finishes (if they don't have siege tanks or marauders punish them)
- INFESTORS (not a required timing, but landing a few key fungles on a marine group can set you up for an easy 4th base).
- Ultras pop out (don't give them time to make lots of marauders if you don't have to)
- Broodlord deathball.
- Drop finishes
- Burrow finishes (burrow some banelings and entice their army to move over them by luring them with mutalisks or other units)

Just because you have the tech doesn't mean you should attack, but if you think you can do damage go for it. Only by trying will you learn what works.
Edited by Kaz on 11/14/2012 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]