StarCraft® II

WoW dependency?

The maps that use it would be playable by anyone with a WoW account and you would be able to pull assets directly from that game. Do it.

C'mon, don't let all those beautiful models go to waste on that byzantine !@#$pile you call WoW.
Reply Quote
http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/warcraft-model-library/

it's a start. If you wanna help let me know how you can help. If you have suggestions as to how to make this project better also let me know.
Reply Quote
In that aspect, what could help is to have multiple extra Blizzard-made dependencies of earlier games' usable data (SC1, War3, WoW, etc.) such as icons, sounds, voices and so on which mapmakers can optionally use.

They could also be downloaded as part of the "Optional" when you download the "Required"/"Recommanded"/"Optional" of SC2 patches.

The current big drawback is someone has to use a lot of their account's map space in mods just to use very limited SC1/War3/WoW data and worse the players could easily redownload many of the same mod data assets on another map just because Map #1 won't depend on the same mod files as Map #2.
Reply Quote
So you can't play the map unless you currently have the most up-to-date version of WoW installed. Bad idea.
Reply Quote

worse the players could easily redownload many of the same mod data assets on another map just because Map #1 won't depend on the same mod files as Map #2.

As long as they use the original mod that's uploaded to Battle.net, it can be updated with more models and such later on. In addition I think its a PLUS to allow people to download the mods and add to them if they want. They just have to upload them themselves and host them if they want a custom version of the mod files.
Reply Quote
http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/warcraft-model-library/

it's a start. If you wanna help let me know how you can help. If you have suggestions as to how to make this project better also let me know.

Now that's an awesome idea. I never even considered something like this. I'd be inclined to help but well, I'm a mapper. I don't know that I won't need every bit of space for this Herculean project I'm undertaking, and I can't in good conscience take the uploads down after the fact and break peoples' maps.

11/09/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Soulzek
So you can't play the map unless you currently have the most up-to-date version of WoW installed. Bad idea.

It's not a bad idea when the alternative is the map not existing.
Edited by TheZizz on 11/11/2012 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]