Scan should no longer serve as detection.

I think the scan should no longer be allowed to detect cloaked or burrowed units. Zerg and Protoss both are forced to make tech (robo/lair) that they might not want to get their detectors out on the field. Why not make Terran have to produce Ravens? Scan is good enough considering it is impossible to deny that kind of scouting. All other forms of scouting are easily able to be denied, especially in the late game. (I suppose that discussion can be for another thread.)

As a Protoss player I find it really difficult to beat Banshees backed up by Vikings. A scan is thrown down, vikings automatically pick off the observer, or all of them if multiple, easily and then there is no way to attack the Vikings. Yes storm can be researched; but it isn't always a for sure thing.
Reply Quote
ravens need to be more readily available to do this. either a cost decrease, or a new unit in HOTS that has detection, while removing it from ravens.
Reply Quote
I for one would love if Terran got a new detector unit earlier than ravens, and make coms-sat not detect. It is the only detection in the game that is 100% unblockable.
Reply Quote
Why not make Terran have to produce Ravens? Scan is good enough considering it is impossible to deny that kind of scouting. All other forms of scouting are easily able to be denied, especially in the late game. (I suppose that discussion can be for another thread.)

Considering Terran's detection besides scans are turrets and ravens, they have disadvantages to other races detection options. Turrets are amazing for detection and come out early, but are primarily anchored around your bases perimeter. Ravens, Terran's mobile option, is gas-expensive, suffers from a long build time, and very fragile with no redeeming features besides it's spells (which also require extensive teching and resources as well). Even though scan may feel cheap, it's necessary for terran late-game as a bandaid fix for detection.
Reply Quote
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: ...Only if terran get a detection option similar to overseers and observers. The fact that terran detection (in the raven) is kind of band aid patched together with scan is very much like the infestor being the glue to zerg right now.

Make Ravens more viable; once we see them in the game more, feel free to remove the detection part of scan :)
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:24 PMPosted by rccars
Why not make Terran have to produce Ravens? Scan is good enough considering it is impossible to deny that kind of scouting. All other forms of scouting are easily able to be denied, especially in the late game. (I suppose that discussion can be for another thread.)

Considering Terran's detection besides scans are turrets and ravens, they have disadvantages to other races detection options. Turrets are amazing for detection and come out early, but are primarily anchored around your bases perimeter. Ravens, Terran's mobile option, is gas-expensive, suffers from a long build time, and very fragile with no redeeming features besides it's spells (which also require extensive teching and resources as well). Even though scan may feel cheap, it's necessary for terran late-game as a bandaid fix for detection.

Although Observers are basically cheap (25/75) they only offer the ability of detection (I guess scouting too, but so do the rest) and no other abilities unlike the Raven which has great abilities that Terran should utilize more often. Yes turrets are anchored but so are spores and cannons....so that seems to be a moot point. If Ravens are to be cheaper (maybe 100/100) perhaps a nerf on the abilities would even it out.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:31 PMPosted by LoneWolf

Although Observers are basically cheap (25/75) they only offer the ability of detection (I guess scouting too, but so do the rest) and no other abilities unlike the Raven which has great abilities that Terran should utilize more often. Yes turrets are anchored but so are spores and cannons....so that seems to be a moot point. If Ravens are to be cheaper (maybe 100/100) perhaps a nerf on the abilities would even it out.

the abilities are already pretty limited. im more in favor of splitting the detection away from the raven into like a "search blimp" or something for fairly cheap, and all it does is detect.
Reply Quote
No.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:34 PMPosted by PotatoLiSK
No.

care to elaborate?
Reply Quote
The new unit idea seems to be a good choice. The "search blimp" is a cute idea lol :) Any Terrans, instead of saying "NO" how about responding with reasons as to why it is fair game?
Reply Quote
Sorry your noob dt rush didn't work.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:40 PMPosted by MetalGear

Lol, oh poor you to have to make a turret in the early game like Protoss and Zerg have to make cannons and spores to stop your banshee rush...NOOB xD lol
Reply Quote
I agree with this thread. Scan is a very strong detection ability. Especially in late game where Terran has a good amount of Orbital Commands. Terran should produce the Raven like how Zerg makes an Overseer and Protoss makes an observer (and wastes a chrono boost?). Its really not that hard making a Raven. Remember, Terran can easily lift up their buildings and switch them between Tech labs and Reactors. The abilites on the Ravens are really good too. This would be a great way to make Terran actually use the Raven more often. As said before, dropping the mineral/gas cost could make it even more effective. The orbital command is already a pretty controversial building (mules...? discussion for another thread... lol). AT THE VERY LEAST, make scan cost more energy. Great post OP. ;)
Edited by Convolution on 11/9/2012 6:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:41 PMPosted by LoneWolf

Lol, oh poor you to have to make a turret in the early game like Protoss and Zerg have to make cannons and spores to stop your banshee rush...NOOB xD lol

This.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:41 PMPosted by LoneWolf

Nope i play HOTS i just make widow mines no scan or turret required.
Reply Quote
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: ...Only if terran get a detection option similar to overseers and observers. The fact that terran detection (in the raven) is kind of band aid patched together with scan is very much like the infestor being the glue to zerg right now.

Make Ravens more viable; once we see them in the game more, feel free to remove the detection part of scan :)

Eliminating scan WOULD make the Ravens more viable. It would force Terrans to make the damn thing! And its not hard to, switch it for a tech lab... As I said somewhere in this post, maybe making the cost of the raven cheaper would work for this.
Reply Quote
Moral of the story: You're ONLY allowed to complain about Zerg.

(regardless of how much sense you make).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]