StarCraft® II

Scan should no longer serve as detection.

11/09/2012 06:52 PMPosted by MetalGear

Lol, oh poor you to have to make a turret in the early game like Protoss and Zerg have to make cannons and spores to stop your banshee rush...NOOB xD lol

Nope i play HOTS i just make widow mines no scan or turret required.

lol and that is another detector....lol Terran so funny ^^ <3
Reply Quote

Nope i play HOTS i just make widow mines no scan or turret required.

Its not a detector you can't see the invisible unit so it doesn't count as detection. I only see the DT blowing up.
Reply Quote

Its not a detector you can't see the invisible unit so it doesn't count as detection. I only see the DT blowing up.

Do you hear yourself? You see it blowing up...yea....so you don't even need the detection lol and then even if you only kill one, you know they are coming, so just through down that lovely scan :) and gg :D lol (sarcasm) ;D
Reply Quote

Do you hear yourself? You see it blowing up...yea....so you don't even need the detection lol and then even if you only kill one, you know they are coming, so just through down that lovely scan :) and gg :D lol (sarcasm) ;D

I should be able to see what i blow up at the moment its difficult to tell if its a observer or a dt unless i see it happen.
although if you make raven cost 100 gas and come out of factory and its a deal.
Reply Quote
Why Raven Can Never Be Viable As A Detection Unit Yet:
Overseers and Obs Are Currently In The Tech That You Are Probably Going To Go To Anyway...When Are You Not Getting A Robo Or A Lair Unlike Terran Unless You're Going BC/Raven, Its Out Of The Way...But You Can Lift Buildings!! Well It Takes Away From The Time That You Could Be Producing Medivacs or Vikings When You Need Them...

Ravens Are 100/200 2 Food Overseers Are 100/50 And They Morph From The Unit You Use For Supply/Food And Is Zero Food Obs Are 25/75 And Is 1 Food. But IT'S A SPELLCASTER TOO. You Are Going To Need To Get More And Upgrades For Them...Cannot Just Get One And Be Like ITS GOING WIN EZPZ.

Ravens Can Be Picked Off With Ease...BUT OVERSEERS CAN BE PICKED OFF TOO. Fungal Detects Too...Bio Cant...OBS CAN BE SNIPED TOO. Its Cloaked...You Need Detection To Detect It.

That All I Can Think Of For Now

Ways To Get Scan To Not Detect:
1. Need To Have Something That Can Be Like An Observer...Low Food,Low Cost, Serves One Purpose OR
2.Higher Cost,Serves To More Than One Purpose OR
3.Lower Tech Tree For The Raven OR
4.Increase Speed While In Starport Tech

Ways To Make Raven Viable:
1.Reduce The Amount Of Upgrades Needed
2.Make HSM At Least 8 Range Currently Fungal Growth And Feedback is 9 Range So Yeah...
3. Not Really Helps, But I Would Like That An Auto Turret Can Be Placed Anywhere On The Map(Cannot Be Placed In Air)

Also If You Disagree Can You Give A Reason? That Would Be Nice :DDDD

-From A Lowly Plat Player :D
Edited by Arces on 11/9/2012 8:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hilarious.

No
Reply Quote
I've got two suggestions that could be put in place without removing detection scan fully, but still solve the 'free detection' point.

First idea is simple, make it an upgrade at the engineering bay. 50/50, researches in 60 seconds. The basic idea is if you want detection on your scans, you can have it for almost nothing, but you have to actually bother to get it - you can't just go get it in the middle of being attacked.

The second idea is to make the detection radius smaller, about a 10 range diameter (think Colossus range). This means if you have cloaked units in your base, you have to scan exactly where they are, you can't just scan and pick off two split up attackers, making splitting cloaked units incredibly effective for scan dodging.

Of course, Blizzard's idea isn't bad either - simply make "oshi-" detection available for other races. The Mothership core is a good example of this - it's not a great detector and you can still attack a Protoss with cloaked units, but it doesn't instantly kill the mineral line. Zerg could probably afford to have Overseers slightly higher in the tech tree, and then receive emergency detection in the form of a hatchery-tech Queen ability.
Reply Quote
I've got two suggestions that could be put in place without removing detection scan fully, but still solve the 'free detection' point.

First idea is simple, make it an upgrade at the engineering bay. 50/50, researches in 60 seconds. The basic idea is if you want detection on your scans, you can have it for almost nothing, but you have to actually bother to get it - you can't just go get it in the middle of being attacked.

The second idea is to make the detection radius smaller, about a 10 range diameter (think Colossus range). This means if you have cloaked units in your base, you have to scan exactly where they are, you can't just scan and pick off two split up attackers, making splitting cloaked units incredibly effective for scan dodging.

Of course, Blizzard's idea isn't bad either - simply make "oshi-" detection available for other races. The Mothership core is a good example of this - it's not a great detector and you can still attack a Protoss with cloaked units, but it doesn't instantly kill the mineral line. Zerg could probably afford to have Overseers slightly higher in the tech tree, and then receive emergency detection in the form of a hatchery-tech Queen ability.

Pretty good.
Reply Quote
less QQ more pewpew?
Reply Quote
Great idea, in my view, to make Terran produce detectors like the other races. Would create a new and interesting dynamic in the game.

Unfortunately, will never happen. Blizzard is so ossified and so out-of-touch that they prefer to pick over the bones of Broodwar, and examine the entrails of a tiny percentage of Beta player commentary on a forum to develop the game. They have stopped doing three things: a.) listening to wider opinion, b.) having the humility to think about new ideas rather than the reflexive arrogance of the last few years, and c.) being willing to take risks and move down a fresh path.
Reply Quote
The original poster made a superb point and i would like to take this opportunity to thank him sincerely for his opinions which have enlightened my life so much. I would like to add that your haemorrhoids come from your constipation and difficulty in defecating as a result of fighting the urge to go and allowing the faecal matter to dry out in your rectum. You probably need to gulp air and strain with your stomach muscles to pass a bowel motion...this causes your haemorrhoidal veins to enlarge and become displaced possibly bursting (blood). You probably also have varicose veins in your legs because of your constipation problem.

Drink more water and go everytime you feel an urge. Use a stool softner until your haemorrhoid heals up .
Reply Quote
ROFL OKAY BRO I HAVE TO RUSH RAVENS EVERY GAME FOR MOBILE DETECTION SO I CAN MOVE OUT OF MY BASE
Reply Quote
This is the worst idea i've ever heard.

protoss would rush DTs and Zerg would rush burrowed units and Terran would have absolutely no map presence until a Raven comes out.

Which is a massive investment

THIS IS LIKE SAYING

Protoss HAS TO GET A Collosus before they are even allowed to step on the map. ANY early aggression, any early pressure ANYTHING is not okay because if they have ANY cloaked units you lose.
Reply Quote
Terran:
Missile Turrets
Raven
EMP
Scan

Zerg:
Overseer
Spore
Fungal

Protoss:
Observer
Cannon

Taking the scan would give the Terran a great disadvantage. What I would really like would be for the orbitals to not gain energy while in the air.
Reply Quote

Good suggestions man :)
Reply Quote
The original poster made a superb point and i would like to take this opportunity to thank him sincerely for his opinions which have enlightened my life so much. I would like to add that your haemorrhoids come from your constipation and difficulty in defecating as a result of fighting the urge to go and allowing the faecal matter to dry out in your rectum. You probably need to gulp air and strain with your stomach muscles to pass a bowel motion...this causes your haemorrhoidal veins to enlarge and become displaced possibly bursting (blood). You probably also have varicose veins in your legs because of your constipation problem.

Drink more water and go everytime you feel an urge. Use a stool softner until your haemorrhoid heals up .

Haha, grow up; it's just a posted topic to discuss. Calm down xD <3
Reply Quote
Not for WoL but it would be OK to consider it for HotS
Reply Quote
No. Terran NEEDS the detection. And raven's simply aren't nearly as accessible as observers/overseers.

Also, I main as protoss, and I use ravens quite frequently when I play as terran.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]