StarCraft® II

Scan should no longer serve as detection.

11/11/2012 02:20 AMPosted by Damy
lol look at all the defensive terrans, so ready to through stones while living in glass command centers.
maybe u should see zerg player in infestor thread
Reply Quote
terrans have so much dettction
Reply Quote
QQing about detection? LMAO you noob.
Reply Quote
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: ...Only if terran get a detection option similar to overseers and observers. The fact that terran detection (in the raven) is kind of band aid patched together with scan is very much like the infestor being the glue to zerg right now.

Make Ravens more viable; once we see them in the game more, feel free to remove the detection part of scan :)

Eliminating scan WOULD make the Ravens more viable. It would force Terrans to make the damn thing! And its not hard to, switch it for a tech lab... As I said somewhere in this post, maybe making the cost of the raven cheaper would work for this.

Two can play this game (pun not intended)

Eliminating fungal growth WOULD make the Hydralisk more viable. It would force Zerg to make the damn thing! And its not hard to, switch it for with larvae... As I said somewhere in this post, maybe making the cost of the hydralisk tech cheaper would work for this.

Eliminating Colossus/HT WOULD make the Carrier more viable. It would force Protoss to make the damn thing! And its not hard to, switch it for a Stargate... As I said somewhere in this post, maybe making the cost of the Carrier cheaper would work for this.
Edited by Pyrus on 11/11/2012 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:40 PMPosted by MetalGear
Sorry your noob dt rush didn't work.

LOL
Reply Quote
This could possibly be fine in HoTS where widow mines auto attack cloaked units, but not in WoL
Reply Quote
Make Terrans have to build their mobile detector unit for detection?

Blasphemy, automatic no.
Reply Quote
Two can play this game

You might as well go all the way.
Eliminating everything that isn't a Battlecruiser or SCV would make Battlecruisers more viable.
; P

The only thing I've got to say about scan is
BW: add-on with 500 health (more easily sniped), a gas cost, took up space, and wouldn't move with a CC if expanding
SC2: shares energy with Mules
Reply Quote

Eliminating scan WOULD make the Ravens more viable. It would force Terrans to make the damn thing! And its not hard to, switch it for a tech lab... As I said somewhere in this post, maybe making the cost of the raven cheaper would work for this.

Two can play this game (pun not intended)

Eliminating fungal growth WOULD make the Hydralisk more viable. It would force Zerg to make the damn thing! And its not hard to, switch it for with larvae... As I said somewhere in this post, maybe making the cost of the hydralisk tech cheaper would work for this.

Eliminating Colossus/HT WOULD make the Carrier more viable. It would force Protoss to make the damn thing! And its not hard to, switch it for a Stargate... As I said somewhere in this post, maybe making the cost of the Carrier cheaper would work for this.

Wow my first page reply has been quoted a lot...I think you guys all missed the point.

Just like IF zergs had the choice of good infestors vs good hydras, hydras would win I am asking that IF terran had a viable form of mobile detection that it would warrant the removal of scan + detection.

One suggestion was make it an upgrade that you have to get if you want to depend on scan for detection which I thought wasn't too bad == it gives the other races a chance to use detection against terran IF they decide to cut corners (applies to all leagues). Someone said no protoss ever plays with out a robo: they might if that wasn't the only place to get detection.

It doesn't hurt to add an upgrade somewhere to add scan to the orbital. Eliminating scan would NOT make the raven more viable, just the only option. I think it is important to make another form of detection, I would almost be pushed to say that the ghosts should offer ground based detection...
Reply Quote
Scan is not so effective early game because you spend the energy for Mules in order to keep up the economy with zerg and protoss.

observers and overseers are detectors that are really cheap and produced fast. Terrans has no other than ravens and they are already expensive and high tech enough.

all your ideas would be a terrible nerf to the terran race. Making raven cheaper but nerfing it's abilities is a nerf. removing detection from scan is a nerf.

This mechanic exists since the first starcraft and i will agree to have a cheap mobile detector for exchange of the scan detection..

but this wont happen.
Edited by ElvisTek on 11/11/2012 12:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 12:18 PMPosted by ElvisTek
This mechanic exists since the first starcraft and i will agree to have a cheap mobile detector for exchange of the scan detection..

This is all I want to hear. There is nothing the player can do about imbalance (not that I think it is REALLY imbalanced; just that imagine what a nexus with scan would be like against cloaked banshees) or how the game is balanced in general but just be conscious of it.

I would trade hydras for infestors

^ this is a very healthy move for e-sports as well
Reply Quote
Scan detects because Ravens are the tier 3 caster and HAVE to cost a lot. It would ruin TvT to have to invest so much to counter Banshee.
Reply Quote
Make scan cost 60 energy instead of 50
Reply Quote
Why does this thread still exist? We've been over this before, and it's a horrible, awful, despicably absurdly idiotic idea.

Why? How about you think about it for a second, and get back to me. You'll have your answer.
Reply Quote
I think the scan should no longer be allowed to detect cloaked or burrowed units. Zerg and Protoss both are forced to make tech (robo/lair) that they might not want to get their detectors out on the field. Why not make Terran have to produce Ravens? Scan is good enough considering it is impossible to deny that kind of scouting. All other forms of scouting are easily able to be denied, especially in the late game. (I suppose that discussion can be for another thread.)

As a Protoss player I find it really difficult to beat Banshees backed up by Vikings. A scan is thrown down, vikings automatically pick off the observer, or all of them if multiple, easily and then there is no way to attack the Vikings. Yes storm can be researched; but it isn't always a for sure thing.

Really LOL NO!
Reply Quote
Terran needs something specialized in mobile detection then.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Guilt

Well said :)
Reply Quote

A Terran Observer/Overseer? These are units that aren't interesting, and are pretty much only built when detection (and sometimes scouting) is necessary. Terran have scans for this.
I'd rather the Raven be nerfed, its cost decreased, and it not require the tech lab.
But with a flying spell caster with detection, there's really only so much they can do to keep it sitting on the edge of being op/up.
Reply Quote

A Terran Observer/Overseer? These are units that aren't interesting, and are pretty much only built when detection (and sometimes scouting) is necessary. Terran have scans for this.
I'd rather the Raven be nerfed, its cost decreased, and it not require the tech lab.
But with a flying spell caster with detection, there's really only so much they can do to keep it sitting on the edge of being op/up.

So maybe it shouldn't be the raven :S
Reply Quote
Why are you complaining about scan being detection? It did the same thing in SC 1 & brood war and zerg nor protoss have gained new stealth abilities, terran's stealth actually got nerfed a little since their air unit that can cloak can only attack ground, unlike the wraith that could attack both. Hell, scan was actually harder to get in SC 1 seeing as how you had to spend 50 mins and 50 gas for the CC add-on (which would mean no nuke at that base later), not to mention the 150 each for barracks and academy.
SC 1 total cost = 350 mins, 50 gas
SC 2 total cost = 400 mins
relative cost is about the same, but you get more out of OC than just the scan.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]