StarCraft® II

Scan should no longer serve as detection.

Terrible idea.. No explanation needed..
Reply Quote
Nasax
I'll accept having scan removed from terran if missile turret costs get dropped to 50 minerals, feedback is removed from protoss, along with burrow from roaches and banelings.

So what you're saying is.. To move outside your base you will need a Raven.. no exception.. solid.. lol
Reply Quote
if you remove scan detection from this game can they remove it in broodwar as well?
Reply Quote
200 gas for early game detection is an unfair handicap

It only costs a zerg 50 gas for the overseer, 100 for the lair... terran needs 100 for factory 100 for starport 25 for tech lab and 200 for raven, 425 gas to get your first detector is unreasonable
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:20 PMPosted by HeReTiC
No.
Reply Quote
This post was just an idea up for discussion and to lay rest to my curious mind of what others thought. It was not a complaint about "noob" tactics not being viable. All the haters out there need to calm down and don't take things so seriously. Hey, if there was really something wrong with the game I am sure Blizzard would be on it. To all the people just posting "no"...way to have a voice. <3 On another note, thanks to all so far who have made this an arousing and meaningful discussion. :)
Reply Quote
no, stupid topic 0/10
Reply Quote
Nasax
I'll accept having scan removed from terran if missile turret costs get dropped to 50 minerals, feedback is removed from protoss, along with burrow from roaches and banelings.

So what you're saying is.. To move outside your base you will need a Raven.. no exception.. solid.. lol

Poor Protoss who have to take an observer outside their base.
Poor Zerg who have to take an overseer outside their base.

Make sure you add something to the conversation next time cause now your addition to the convo as your reply both failed!

Bye!
Reply Quote
Scan is not so effective early game because you spend the energy for Mules in order to keep up the economy with zerg and protoss.

observers and overseers are detectors that are really cheap and produced fast. Terrans has no other than ravens and they are already expensive and high tech enough.

Observer being robo tech forces Protoss to go robo every game vs Terran, or have the potential of getting owned by banshees. Meanwhile, Terrans get Orbitals almost every single game not only because of scan, but because MULEs are also good.

Furthermore, with a mothership cloaking stuff, if a Zerg player gets his overseers sniped then he has to kill the mothership first. Terrans can just scan.

If a Terran player (like Thorzain) has vikings and cloaked ghosts, he can just scan, vikings pick off the observers, and Protoss can't attack the ghosts because they don't have detection and have to wait 30 seconds for the observer to build and get to the battlefield. By that time, battle might have already been lost. But of course, Terrans could just scan and have insta detection.
Edited by TRAvian on 11/12/2012 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
yeah but they cost 240-270 minerals each (because a scan could have been a mule). I don't think that scan should be nerfed, but maybe there could be some sort of upgrade for observers?
Reply Quote
I saw a few ideas that seemed plausible-

1. Some1 said something about scan being a tech upgrade at engineer bay.
I say ok if its possible to cheaply tech it at an early enough point in the game to counter any
form of the quickest cloaked rush. Trying to emphasize some balance.
2. Personally, I kind of prefer something like the idea of having a cheap observor only terran
unit. Maybe raven could be this unit. But, also adding something to terran units like science
vessel to give terran a flying cast unit back.
Reply Quote
I disagree with the removal of detection scans, the only time a terran has a surplus of scans is late game. Any other time cloaked units are not ment to end the game just to inflict damage, thats why toss mothership core got a detection buff in hots. Late game terran units are weak (for whatever reason either upgrades not being transitioned to late game as easily or terran units dieing to splash/AOE), I feel terran has to continously scan as they move across the field so they dont get caught out of position. It is alot easyer to catch terran out of position then the other races.
Reply Quote
@OP:

I agree.
Reply Quote

Poor Protoss who have to take an observer outside their base.
Poor Zerg who have to take an overseer outside their base.

Make sure you add something to the conversation next time cause now your addition to the convo as your reply both failed!

Bye!

This was exactly my point <3
Reply Quote
I haven't had the time to read every post here so sorry if this has been said..but here's my thoughts on this. I agree (from a observer point of view..I like watching the "pro" games) that scan is too good for detection. What my suggestion for fixing it is of course the raven. I suggest adding the scan ability to the raven and removing it from the command center. To keep it from being almost the same, force the raven to be in a range similar to what the tempest gets for attacking at range in HoTS. This way the Raven has to actually be sent out in order to scan, and can also be denied with proper air control.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 12:43 PMPosted by ReFlex
I haven't had the time to read every post here so sorry if this has been said..but here's my thoughts on this. I agree (from a observer point of view..I like watching the "pro" games) that scan is too good for detection. What my suggestion for fixing it is of course the raven. I suggest adding the scan ability to the raven and removing it from the command center. To keep it from being almost the same, force the raven to be in a range similar to what the tempest gets for attacking at range in HoTS. This way the Raven has to actually be sent out in order to scan, and can also be denied with proper air control.

Sounds like a plausible idea. :)
Reply Quote
I'll trade you scan ability for an obs any day. Raven to expensive.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 05:53 AMPosted by Ghost
I'll trade you scan ability for an obs any day. Raven to expensive.
raven total flying junk. of course zerg and protoss wants to force terran build raven maybe terran should force protoss build voidray and zerg build hydralisk
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 01:06 AMPosted by LoneWolf
Sounds like a plausible idea. :)

It sounds plausible to give our detector a detection spell that detect from about the same range as its detection?
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 06:18 PMPosted by LoneWolf
As a Protoss
As a Protoss you no longer have any rights to complain about scan. Seeing as the Oracle basically gives you a BETTER scan, for longer duration, for free (not in sacrifice of mules).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]