StarCraft® II

Tips on spending minerals as Zerg?

So I'm a high silver league player and love to play zerg. My early game is generally pretty good i think and i am pretty good at expanding my economy for the most part. But at about 10 minutes i start to have way too many minerals. I might have 3 bases working depending on what's going on but definitely 2 saturated. At this point my macro starts to break down too. Any advice on how to practice this without having to play against someone all the time and sacrifice my rank?

P.S. heard something bout a "when/then" system but cant think of any good lists to go through so any advice on that would be nice too.

P.S.S also heard some try to tell me to switch races. are they retarded?
Reply Quote
Just play people. To start every time you start getting over 1500-2000 minerals make a new macro hatch and Queen for it. If you have more than 2 macro hatches then you're missing too many injects or not building enough high tier units. Make sure you're taking gas at the right time as well. If you're minerals are high but gas is low then you're taking gas too late.
Reply Quote
^get the macro hatch earlier then that

chances are if you have 3 mining bases you need a macro hatch, it depends on army composition tho

if you find you have money left after spending all your larva you need a macro hatch, for me its 300 minerals. if i spend all my larva twice in a row with 300+ minerals left i need a macro hatch cuz those minerals could be a ling run by squad
Reply Quote
okay it really depends.

u said MINERALS. if u are floating tons of minerals, but have no gas, it is an army composition problem or u are taking your gas too late. with those extra minerals u build drones, lings, queens, spines, more bases. obviously it depends on the game which u need. a good idea is a macro hatchery and an extra queen any time u spend all your larva but still have money. dont wait until u are at 1000-2000 minerals because it takes a long time for the macro hatch to actually kick in, so by the time it finishes if u wait till 2k you will be at 4k...good way to lose a game.

if its minerals and gas, then this just means u arent producing enough stuff, whatever stuff is. it means u are either not injecting or not spending your larva, or u need a macro hatch earlier.

another solution to this problem that i never hear people say much, but what i used to do when i wasn't as good at spending my money, is open double upgrades and then as soon as lair finishes, 2/2. i knew that i wouldnt spend all my money anyways, so i would spend all that extra money on upgrades.
Reply Quote
Its pretty easy to have tons of minerals and no gas as zerg. if this happesn double expand and drop a bunch of spines and drone up again. Also extra overlords never hurt. if u use them a lot which u should be scouting constantly with them then having extras is really good for you when they get killed off. You can also start doing ling drops if you feel up to it
Reply Quote
I'm awful at zerg macro, and I notice that when I float a lot of minerals it's because I'm missing injects.
Reply Quote
well for the most part u shouldn't be floating too many minerals as zergs since u should producing units at all times, if for some reason u are either learn a way to properly inject that works or just tech early so u can spend resources faster via stuff like hydras or ultra. Worst case scenerio just build more hatcheries
Reply Quote
^get the macro hatch earlier then that

chances are if you have 3 mining bases you need a macro hatch, it depends on army composition tho

if you find you have money left after spending all your larva you need a macro hatch, for me its 300 minerals. if i spend all my larva twice in a row with 300+ minerals left i need a macro hatch cuz those minerals could be a ling run by squad

No doubt getting it earlier is much better, but to start I figured I'd offer the guy advice that is easy to follow. He can clean up his timings later, but the problem is most likely related to missing injects.
Reply Quote
when I have extra minerals i try to expand with it. late game (if there is nowhere else to expand) you should be spending it on spines, spores and the drones that need replaced.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]