StarCraft® II

Starcraft II: Flashpoint Review

I realize that some people might want to know whether "Flashpoint" is good before getting it. Well, after reading it, I'll tell you what I think of it.
This book is just plain awesome. If you have been waiting 2 years just to find out what happens next, then this book is your wish come true. It has a great pace and writing style, and it all seems to stay true to the series. I was torn between reading it quickly to find out what happens next, and reading slowly to make it last. I really like how it takes us into the mind of Kerrigan, and shows that she's not just focused on revenge, like the trailer led me to believe. I also like how it shows that killing Tychus was not easy for Raynor, and it's weighing heavily on him.
So, I would defiantly recommend this book to any fan of the series, meaning it is definatly worth your money, especially if you're one of those people who wonder why Raynor killed Tychus in the first place.
This is VGms, wishing you all the best of luck.
Reply Quote
I realize that some people might want to know whether "Flashpoint" is good before getting it. Well, after reading it, I'll tell you what I think of it.
This book is just plain awesome. If you have been waiting 2 years just to find out what happens next, then this book is your wish come true. It has a great pace and writing style, and it all seems to stay true to the series. I was torn between reading it quickly to find out what happens next, and reading slowly to make it last. I really like how it takes us into the mind of Kerrigan, and shows that she's not just focused on revenge, like the trailer led me to believe. I also like how it shows that killing Tychus was not easy for Raynor, and it's weighing heavily on him.
So, I would defiantly recommend this book to any fan of the series, meaning it is definatly worth your money, especially if you're one of those people who wonder why Raynor killed Tychus in the first place.
This is VGms, wishing you all the best of luck.

Yeah I was glad Raynor eventually realized Tychus had been pushed to a corner back in the hive when they found Kerrigan deinfested, it's not like he did it just because he felt like it.

Strangely enough, it seems that being blasted by the artifact didn't cause Kerrigan to lose her memory, so it makes me wonder where did this amnesia come from by the time of HotS.
Reply Quote
Well a lot may have changed since BlizzCon 2011. There's probably been a lot of overhauls on the campaign.
In terms of the book, it was awesome. I liked how it featured Mira Han and developed Valerian and Raynor's partnership. It was a nice bridge between WoL and HotS. By the end of the book, I felt it all ended so fast. I wanted more D:
One thing I was pretty sad about: They made no mention of Fenix.
You would've thought one of the causes of Raynor's promise of revenge would've been referred to.
Reply Quote
Yeah, and that's one of the things that bothered me. If they don't address it in the HotS campaign, they better do it in the LotV one.

Because that's one of the biggest things that divided Raynor from the rest of his Raiders when it came to Kerrigan.

Raynor had constantly relied on the argument of "Kerrigan wasn't herself during the infestation years, the Queen of Blades committed all those atrocities, Kerrigan had nothing to do with it."

And the rest of his Raiders constantly used the argument of "Then how do you explain her cold blooded murder of Fenix during the Brood War and you swearing to kill her for her actions?"
Reply Quote
Raynor can still be honest with himself, when he promised to kill "her" for her actions, her being the Queen of Blades.

Raynor has had no experience, prior to Wings of Liberty, where de-infestation was possible.

De-infestation barely occurred with the colonists, and Dr. Ariel Hanson. That was a miracle of science.

He never knew of the artifact then either. Kerrigan being as psionicly strong as she was as Queen of Blades, could not be contained like the colonists, or Dr. Hanson.

The artifact was the only way to get in range of Kerrigan, and neutralize some of the zerg mutagen.

If you can't bring back Kerrigan, then the logically conclusion is to kill the Queen of Blades. Pretty simply logic to me. :)
Reply Quote
Raynor can still be honest with himself, when he promised to kill "her" for her actions, her being the Queen of Blades.

Raynor has had no experience, prior to Wings of Liberty, where de-infestation was possible.

De-infestation barely occurred with the colonists, and Dr. Ariel Hanson. That was a miracle of science.

He never knew of the artifact then either. Kerrigan being as psionicly strong as she was as Queen of Blades, could not be contained like the colonists, or Dr. Hanson.

The artifact was the only way to get in range of Kerrigan, and neutralize some of the zerg mutagen.

If you can't bring back Kerrigan, then the logically conclusion is to kill the Queen of Blades. Pretty simply logic to me. :)

No experience that deinfestation was possible? Then what the hell do you call Raynor working with Artanis to deinfest Stukov?
Reply Quote
That was after BW.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 09:38 AMPosted by DeeGeeAteSix
That was after BW.

Yeah but it proves that Raynor DOES have experience in deinfestation. If he saw Stukov could be deinfested, then in theory the infestation done on Kerrigan must be possible as well.
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP, really enjoyable book to read. The only thing I would of liked was (*WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD*) a more in depth look at the Umojan Protectorate and why the crew decided to go to there labrotory at the end of the book. Are they more trust worthy than Narud and Mengsk? Perhaps that will be answered in the expansion...
Edited by Wolverine on 11/23/2012 5:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/23/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Wolverine
I agree with the OP, really enjoyable book to read. The only thing I would of liked was (*WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD*) a more in depth look at the Umojan Protectorate and why the crew decided to go to there labrotory at the end of the book. Are they more trust worthy than Narud and Mengsk? Perhaps that will be answered in the expansion...

Well, let's put it this way, the Umojans definitely hated Mengsk, which was why they broke away from the Dominion at the end of the Brood War. They felt Mengsk was leading humanity to destruction, rather than saving it.
Reply Quote
Not available as a download in Australia, which I find !@#$ing infuriating.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]