StarCraft® II

Beta Battle.net UI Feedback

MVP - StarCraft
Hey!

Here with more feedback on the 2.0.1 patch, particularly Battle.net as it currently stands. (Reposted here for those of you without access to the beta forums who still want to give feedback) If you haven't yet, you can read the patch notes here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7747193/Heart_of_the_Swarm_Beta_Patch_201_Notes-10_31_2012

I have a bit of history of creating Battle.net feedback threads. If you are reading this and have not read my previous threads, I strongly encourage you to do so; they are relevant to this post and you may feel I skipped over important topics even if they were actually covered in my other posts.

Some of what they say is out of date, but there are still a lot of relevant points. My first post was http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4254515833 -- this is the most out of date, but definitely still relevant to some degree. It was updated and reposted on the beta feedback forums: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6572970624

More recently, I made this http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6933237366 thread in reply to the first UI preview. It is a must-read prelude for this post!

This latest patch was amazing – I’ve particularly been enjoying the Clan feature – but there’s still plenty to improve!

The first request I'd like to make: Get some of the Battle.net devs posting on the forums, just like David and Dustin do! They have been a huge encouragement to me for posting game\balance related threads, something I normally don't do, and its also just great to personally here their thoughts and have discussions with them.

Leveling and XP System

If you haven't already, please read my other post about the Leveling system: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6998609983?page=3#50

I've had a chance to actually try it since then (Level 16!) and I have some more suggestions.

My biggest frustration with this feature has been caused partly by a bug. About 75% of the time, the score screen will not load for me after a match. In most cases, this is OK -- I can just navigate to my match history, find the game, and look at the score screen. Unfortunately, the experience page is not shown if you view the score screen though your match history!

Going back to the score screen: Right now it simply shows you how much XP gained. I would love it if it broke it down for sections, showing you how much XP you got for units killed and units built, separately, for an example. Another thing -- if you level up, it doesn't show you what you've unlocked -- it just shows you when you can unlock next.

Furthermore, there is no other way to get a more detailed view of your XP progress. My current levels show on my profile, but I can't see what the next unlock will be. In addition to fixing the two previous issues, I would love it if you could click on your level on your profile page to bring you too a detailed overview of that race's entire leveling tree -- a horizontal bar, with marks at each level, where if you mouse over each mark it shows you what is unlocked for reaching that level. In addition, there would be another tab to show how a list of all your recent games, and how much XP you got for each one.

It would also show various events and conditions that grant you bonus XP, upcoming, current, and repeatable – right now I don’t know what they are, so it’s cool when I get them but I can’t specifically work towards them because I don’t know what they all are.

Also, to be honest: The rewards could use a lot of work. The later decals are pretty cool but I only really notice them on my Nexus, and only really at the start of the game -- the rest of the rewards are pretty boring, and I don't feel motivated to work towards them for their coolness factor at all.

The attempt to use non-unit portraits didn't really work out. The only portraits I care about getting are the ones with units, and their value only seems to be diminished by the medals covering them up.

The portraits would also be cooler if (in some places, such as your profile) they were displayed in bigger format, and also 3D and animated.

I gave a brief list of other possible rewards in the post I linked to: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6998609983?page=3#50

Clans

I've been enjoying Clan Support in the beta a lot; but the Chat Channel, Clan Info Page, and News page all need a lot of work.

Chat Channels

To start off with, the clan chat channels really need moderation abilities (kick, ban, designate) and the leader should also be able to set the clan chat channel to public, if he so desires. Right now I have to set up a secondary channel; because people looking to join the clan cannot join the clan channel to be invited. (It doesn't help that, due to a bug, if you are privately messaging a player you cannot invite them to a clan, block them, or view their profile)

It is not just for people interested in checking out the Clan, though. I don't see why I'm not even allowed the option to let an occasional friend, curious person, or acquaintance into the clan channel if I so choose -- sometimes the Clan Leader just wants the channel to be public.

I understand the reasons for it defaulting this way, but I really feel it should be an option; any negative effects it causes are negated by Channel Moderation anyway.

The final two things I request (besides fixing the bug that causes the channel to wipe and break after games) are to make the clan channel be auto-joined and add a way to hide clan chat while in game. These are no small things. The Clan button is small and easy to miss -- I really think it's important that it is automatically opened.

Clan Info Page

I feel this page needs to be completely reworked into a more visual and informative page -- similar to a player profile page -- that can be accessed by clicking the clan tag in a players profile, or by clicking "view clan" on a player. (As well as being accessible through the "Find Clan" button on the clan tab, of course)

The "info" text that the Chieftain enters into it should only be a part of this page. It should also show statistics and information on the Clan -- some examples:

• The Clans full name and tag
  • Clan Statistics (Number of members, creation date, clan ladder rank)
  • Clan Description\Information (As currently)
  • Clan Joining Requirements (If applicable -- More Info Below)
  • Clan Website (If applicable)
  • “Join Clan” Button (More Info Below)
  • History of Battle.net wars with other Clans (If this feature is added, which it should be!)
  • Possibly unique flag or decal

• To explain the "join clan" button and joining requirements: Right now if you want to join a Clan, you have to be online at the same time as the Leader\Officers, contact them, and hope they aren't in game. It would be far more convenient for all involved parties if players could "apply" to join the clan on the clan info page, and then a list of players requesting to join could be available to the clan leader(s) to review at any time they wish.

I would also really appreciate a "recommend for clan" button -- this way people could recommend someone they know the leader(s) (would show on the aforementioned page) so that the Chieftain would know when an applying player was a friend of another Clan member.

Tying in with these two features: Automatic skill requirements. Many competitive clans in the past have required members to be of a certain rank. It would be a nifty feature to allow your clan to only allow requests or suggestions from players who are of a certain league or division rank.

Overall; I'd like the clan overview page to be a more complete and comprehensive page them simply a paragraph of plain, unformatted text.

Clan News

The one thing this definitely needs is to allow clan members to create threaded comments on news articles. I have no idea if my Clan members have thread my new articles or if they have any questions or comments on them. I have to actively seek them out and ask them about it, or vice-versa.

Past that; for news articles I'd really like the ability to imbed images, create clickable web links, and bold\italicize\underline text, create bullet point lists, and a higher character limit. And a pony. But no, seriously -- when creating news posts for a clan, you are often providing a wealth of information about events like upcoming clan tournaments, and having more text options to make everything easier to read would be great.

Other than that -- please allow us to select and copy text from here (as a viewer, not an editor)

Other Clan Changes

Clans should be shown on the loading screen. (And in-game, in my opinion)

For a clan leader\officer, it would be very nice to be able to see how recently clan members have logged on -- you often need to prune out inactive members so that you do not hit the max player limit.

It would be nice to have all online members at the top of the member list, so you could see who is on easily. If not, they need to stand out a lot more. (Highlight the background behind online members?)

It would also be nifty to be able to see how long you've been in a Clan.

I really don't think you should be able to create a clan with one member. On the other hand, it was endlessly frustrating trying to get enough people in once place to create a clan, and not have anyone AFK to miss invites, making you have to restart. (There would be trolls as well, deliberately declining invites without telling you, to make the process fail)

To solve this; make it like sending out friend invites -- an invitation to found a clan will be in their "inbox" when they log on. Another possible solution is to allow you to create a 1 member clan, but make it expire if it doesn't get to a certain size after a certain amount of time.

Another thing I really wish was added is the ability to create a clan as a party -- I was disappointed when I created a big party and hit "create clan", only to have to invite them one-by-one afterwards.

The limit is clearly to small -- I'm taking it for granted that it will be increased; but to what? Even if you have different uses in mind for Clans and Groups (and therefore, want the limit to be smaller for clans) there were legitimate "clan" clans who exceeded the 100 person limit (even when sharking the member list carefully to prune it a small as possible) and created up to 3 duplicate clans (Example; [FP1], [FP2], [FP3]) in order to get as many members as necessary.

I don't think it should be any less then 150, myself.

There should be a log of members who were kicked and added, and who did so. As the leader of my clan I sometimes see my member count randomly went up or down, and I wonder who was added and removed and which of my officers did it, and why. An "activity log" that shows these sorts of things, including Demotions, Promotions, changing channel to private\public -- you get the idea -- might be the best solution to this.

There are still a couple of other features -- Message of the Day (please -- I don't really feel like the news section invalidates this) Clan Rank, Clan Wars -- but I'm pretty sure I've harped enough on those in other places.

Links

Game links cannot be clicked on the Clan Info page and Clan News page.

It would be really nice if you could program the forums to make links clickable, rather than having to copy\paste them.

Once you add shared plays (soon, right? :D) make sure we can link to specific replay files. It would be a very nifty extension of this feature.

Other Changes

There are a lot of other features that need to be added (don't forget automated tournaments and clan wars!) but I feel my previous two posts pretty much covered all of them. There are only a few minor things from this specific patch left for me to comment on.

The new physics are great. In my game experience, they are not overdone -- a fear you could acquire when watching certain youtube videos circulating -- but they still add an awesome touch to the game.

On the "ranked" section of the matchmaking tab, you should be able to click your league logo to navigate to your league. (Yes, I am aware of the "view ladder" button) It would also be cool if the background changed based on what race you have selected (or which one you play most)

---

It is now time for me to conclude this post. Despite being over 11,000 characters long, I can't help but shake the feeling that I've missed quite a lot of things that I intended to talk about. I guess that means stay tuned for updates!

Thanks for reading. I hope this was helpful feedback for the devs!

Completely random shout-out to http://www.blizzposts.com/ !

(This post was written a little hastily -- please forgive mistakes\poor writing)
    Edited by TheSkunk on 11/6/2012 2:20 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Did you even read the post or you just another person on the bandwagon of zerg QQ?
    Reply Quote
    11/05/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Xombie
    Did you even read the post or you just another person on the bandwagon of zerg QQ?

lol Xombie how in the world do you not know pipita?
    Reply Quote
    Oh FINALLY! A non-infestor thread. I was going on a licking spree back there! I realy need to get some tungsten... for my tongue.
    Reply Quote
    Anyways...Before this thread gets derailed, I want to say that the clan support is a step in the right direction. I do like the fact that we can make our own decal but also creates the problem of people making obscene ones. How does Blizzard plan to implement the freedom of our own decals/flags if some people abuse it?
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    11/05/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Xombie
    Anyways...Before this thread gets derailed, I want to say that the clan support is a step in the right direction. I do like the fact that we can make our own decal but also creates the problem of people making obscene ones. How does Blizzard plan to implement the freedom of our own decals/flags if some people abuse it?

Props to being the sole person to give an on-topic reply in an attempt to keep the thread alive. Sadly your efforts are in vain. :P

But I have to ask -- where'd you get that decal idea from? It sounds neat; but I have to agree -- I don't see it working out.
    Edited by TheSkunk on 11/6/2012 6:27 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    Some pretty cool ideas in this thread, very nicely done and thorough as well. Thanks for the post TheSkunk!
    Reply Quote
    Hmm, I didn't read the whole thing (since most of it seems accurate and a bit of a hurry) but how about the fact you can't reight clcik on usernames in the chat channel to invite them to games faster if they want too? In large chatrooms with 100 people or so it can be a pain to find the user you want. :\
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    11/06/2012 08:23 AMPosted by Edogaa
    Hmm, I didn't read the whole thing (since most of it seems accurate and a bit of a hurry) but how about the fact you can't reight clcik on usernames in the chat channel to invite them to games faster if they want too? In large chatrooms with 100 people or so it can be a pain to find the user you want. :\

I did mention that. I kinda presumed it was a bug (I noticed it in 1on1 chat -- you can't even block people) and I planned on keeping bug reports separate from this for the most part.

11/06/2012 07:19 AMPosted by Deletarius
    Some pretty cool ideas in this thread, very nicely done and thorough as well. Thanks for the post TheSkunk!

Thanks, glad you liked the post =]
    Reply Quote
    I would love to give feedback on the UI....BUT I'M NOT IN THE BETA!!!!!! Please, please, please, let me in!. I totally love you Blizzard...in a platonic, bromantic type of way.
    Reply Quote
    Hey I'm JGSPuppet from Reddit and thanks for posting my suggestions here! There are so many other things besides portraits that can be unlocked (that also doesn't affect gameplay), and I really hope Blizzard takes these into consideration!
    Reply Quote
    Do clan messages still pop up in game with no way to block them from filling your screen?
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    11/06/2012 09:49 AMPosted by SkEwba
    Hey I'm JGSPuppet from Reddit and thanks for posting my suggestions here! There are so many other things besides portraits that can be unlocked (that also doesn't affect gameplay), and I really hope Blizzard takes these into consideration!

Hey! I did link to this thread on Reddit; not sure if thats how you got here or not. I did add\remove from your list of ideas, but I still thought I ought to give credit.

11/06/2012 10:01 AMPosted by RuneK
    Do clan messages still pop up in game with no way to block them from filling your screen?

Yes, I mentioned that in my post.
    Edited by TheSkunk on 11/6/2012 10:04 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    11/06/2012 10:04 AMPosted by TheSkunk
    I didn't see it.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    11/06/2012 10:17 AMPosted by RuneK
    I didn't see it.

You didn't.

:P

Here is the section I pointed it out in:

The final two things I request (besides fixing the bug that causes the channel to wipe and break after games) are to make the clan channel be auto-joined and add a way to hide clan chat while in game. These are no small things.

I dedicated fairly little of the post to it because I feel it is an obvious flaw; but I still mentioned it all the same.
    Reply Quote
    It makes me furious with the extreme ping after this patch. It has costed me some games allrdy, so I really want you to look into it. Please...
    Reply Quote
    11/06/2012 04:53 AMPosted by TheSkunk
    But I have to ask -- where'd you get that decal idea from? It sounds neat; but I have to agree -- I don't see it working out.

11/05/2012 05:26 PMPosted by TheSkunk
    Possibly unique flag or decal

Just saying that if there were gonna be clan decals that you can customize that it's gonna be a work in progress because some people are gonna place obscene ones that are offensive.
    Reply Quote
    I would like a little more elaboration on the changes you suggest.
    Edited by VIPER on 11/6/2012 3:26 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft

Possibly unique flag or decal

Just saying that if there were gonna be clan decals that you can customize that it's gonna be a work in progress because some people are gonna place obscene ones that are offensive.

I guess unique does imply they are user-created. I don't feel it has to mean that; though -- See Diablo 3 flag system, for an example, were you use Blizzard-provided tools to create your flag but it is still customizable.

11/06/2012 03:24 PMPosted by VIPER
    I would like a little more elaboration on the changes you suggest.

Which ones? I was fairly straightforward and detailed with most of them, but I'd be more then happy to elaborate were necessary.

This is just another reason why I'd love to have Blizzard developers posting here, so I could elaborate and discuss anything I mentioned here with them.

Frankly, this post was already long enough -- I felt if I went into too much more detail in all of this, it would never be read. At the same time; I certainly don't appreciate it when anyone else is vague in their feedback, so I'm ready to provide more.

11/06/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Dane
    It makes me furious with the extreme ping after this patch. It has costed me some games allrdy, so I really want you to look into it. Please...

Post in beta bug report or technical support; and provide as many details as possible. If you are not from the NA region; a lot of other people have been having issues since the latest patch as well: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7004013756#2
    Edited by TheSkunk on 11/6/2012 3:40 PM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]