StarCraft® II

4 Quality of Life Changes for Z/T (HotS)

With the introduction of things like Auto-mine, Army select, and worker counts on the bases I feel these are some other changes that would be nice. If you agree and have a HotS account, please post there as I do not :)

1. Idle Creep Tumor Button

Personally I always felt that it felt uneven that Protoss had a free hotkey. I'd like to see an idle creep tumor button for Zerg. Ideally it will work more like idle worker button though. You click it twice to take you to the tumor and every successive time takes you to the next tumor. Holding control while pressing this button selects all idle creep tumors, just like the idle worker button.

This, as with all the hotkeys I will suggest are customizable. (I believe all hotkeys are customizable anyway)

2. Separate Overlord Rally Point

I've heard even from pros separating overlords from the normal army is at least slightly tedious and probably more tedious for those of us who don't have 200+ apm. I don't feel it's a proper apm sink, as Protoss and terran don't have to deal with this issue with rally points.
Now, by default Overlords will still rally to the same point as the army. So when you click around (as now when you click something minable drones go there, but any other space in the map it becomes your army rally point). If the rally point is set manually with a hotkey then it will be a similar apm sink as building pylons or depots.

3. Add-ons on the left

Fairly simple, allow a separate hotkey for placing tech labs and reactors to the left of a building rather than the right. What I would ideally like to see is the graphic/animation of add-ons to be allowed to be placed on either side, rather than having separate left and right type add-ons. This works best as a separate hotkey because having a separate window or anything else, really, overcomplicates the process of building add-ons, simply making it a customizable hotkey makes the issue much more easily dealt with and allows better sim city and macro.

A good point for this is that for Terran depending on where they spawn on the map their strategies may have to change simply because it is extremely common to wall with a barracks or factory and due to how the add-ons currently work sometimes they just can't be built from there, sacrificing utility of a building.

This might seem like a metagame issue to you, but it's fairly ingrained in Terran structure of playing, much like prioritizing MULEs over Supply Drops.

4. Shrike Turrets
The only change I recommend that may affect balance, but I still feel this falls under QoL category for what I will be suggesting.
Reduce Bunker space by 2, add Shrike Turrets on top of a Bunker. This gives Terran the ability to leave Bunkers in places they feel they need static defense without dedicating supply or leaving something silly like a PF just to defend a location.
Shrike Turrets themselves will have a dps of 10 and only shoot at ground. It will still have a cargo space of 2 and therefore still be customizable and will still have the highest dps of static defense when supply is added in to it. Neosteel Frames will still affect it, turning it's Bunker space in to 4. Hi-Sec Auto-Tracking will affect it as it does all Terran Buildings and the Turret should start with 7 range.
Without supply inside the Bunker it will be the weakest static defense, technically, as currently without supply in a Bunker it doesn't... do... anything.

Alternately; Keep the same Bunker space and add the Shrike Turrets as an upgrade AT the Bunker for 50 minerals. This is a per Bunker upgrade, not global. The Bunker takes 20 seconds to build a Shrike Turret. In this incarnation it can shoot air and maintains the same dps.

I tried to keep this from getting too long and just get my ideas across as concisely as possible.
If you like ANY of the ideas please upvote :) Then make a post with your feelings and which you like and do not like and if this post becomes popular I will make a tally of what people like or have "voted for".
If you don't agree, please share why.
Edited by RuneK on 11/12/2012 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
As for the Shrike Turrets

Leave bunkers as they are, BUT:

Each bunker now has a button to upgrade it to have a shrike turret. The cost is 100/100 or 200 minerals
Each bunker has a starting space of 4 supply (4 marines, 2 marauders, 4 reapers, 2 ghosts, etc.)

Having shrike turrets just come with bunkers would make bunker rushes OP.
Edited by PotatoLiSK on 11/10/2012 8:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like/endorse all these ideas.

Here are some changes I'd make

General
- Recent Events [Space] Options. Frustrating to hear "Our forces are under attack" -> tap Space -> Frame relocates to a newly created unit?!
- Portrait Cycle. Why does clicking the portrait /focus hotkey when multiple units are selected not cycle the frame to each unit each time the portrait is clicked? I would benefit because at times I shift click scouting parties of several units in a control group for instance, and I may want to remove some from the control group or find a particular unit.
- Tab > Portrait Click Cycle. or perhaps at the very least a frame cycle between particular unit types. (wicked SpdLing management /split /surrounds consistently w/o the need of seperate control grp?!)

Zerg
- Universal Hotkey for Larva. I found it curious WarpGates have one; regardless I feel Larva deserve their own Hotkey option. (Note: options are kind of like opinions, dont like it dont use it)
- Larva NOT to be added to a Control Group; at least not when newly spawned eggs are created & selected along with the Larva. ( aka NOT ... [Hatchery Hotkey] > [Larva Hotkey] > [Unit Hotkey] > [Ctrl]+[L-Click] deselect Larva > [Add to Control Group Hotkeys] )
- Bug or Oversight? When shift clicking away one Larva from the end of selection, the remaining Larva are moved to the front of your selection.
- Space Bar events optionally to not include hatched eggs /created units or buildings (space events are convoluted enough already)
- Creep Tumors. I dont know, but ive heard a few good ideas. Universal Hotkey. etc etc.
Edited by MalZen on 11/10/2012 8:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
DRAGONWRATH, TACREGOSA'S REST!
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 08:53 PMPosted by PotatoLiSK
Each bunker now has a button to upgrade it to have a shrike turret. The cost is 100/100 or 200 minerals

200 min sounds nice, 100/100 for a stationary structure with the dps of a single marine is just pitiful.
Reply Quote

How about it has the same dps as a cannon range and detects for 50 more minerals now we meet somewhere in the middle then we got a good idea 100/100 or 200 minerals lol .
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 08:58 PMPosted by Monochrome
Lol, 2 massive zerg buffs and one Terran one that will require an extra click, and one that is a straight upgrade?
They aren't buffs. How do you feel about Warpgate hotkey then? It is the same.
Then again, I don't value your opinion highly.

11/10/2012 09:34 PMPosted by rccars
200 min sounds nice, 100/100 for a stationary structure with the dps of a single marine is just pitiful.
Marine DPS is 7. I purposely made it a Marine and a half. Although perhaps the Shrike Turret DPS should be 11, but tweaking on this particular number is fine.

The cost is 100/100 or 200 minerals
Each bunker has a starting space of 4 supply (4 marines, 2 marauders, 4 reapers, 2 ghosts, etc.)
I would make it 100 or 75 minerals. Probably 100. 100 gas is silly and 200 mins is far too much.

11/10/2012 09:31 PMPosted by sEoL
TACREGOSA'S
Tarecgosa :3

11/10/2012 09:40 PMPosted by Rocks
How about it has the same dps as a cannon range and detects for 50 more minerals now we meet somewhere in the middle then we got a good idea 100/100 or 200 minerals lol .
No.

11/10/2012 08:54 PMPosted by MalZen
- Portrait Cycle. Why does clicking the portrait /focus hotkey when multiple units are selected not cycle the frame to each unit each time the portrait is clicked? I would benefit because at times I shift click scouting parties of several units in a control group for instance, and I may want to remove some from the control group or find a particular unit.
There are some shift-clicking tricks you can do to accomplish this.

11/10/2012 08:54 PMPosted by MalZen
- Universal Hotkey for Larva.
Hotkeying all your hatcheries to one number will accomplish this, unless you want a free hotkey?
Reply Quote
If they are going to give bunkers strike turrets without research, they should probably remove salvage.
Edited by AscendedOne on 11/10/2012 10:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why not just have the Shrike Turret upgrade replace Neosteel Frame, or be an added benefit when researching it, or maybe come with Hi-sec Auto Tracking?
Edited by Fawxkitteh on 11/10/2012 11:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Eh, nobody gets any bunker upgrades, ever, not sure that is the way to go. however, bunkers with inherent attacks are something i would like to keep out of multiplayer.
Reply Quote
The overlord one is something I can get behind. I always end up with 10-15 overlords hanging out over my newly made units.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 01:28 AMPosted by sTsTtzy
The overlord one is something I can get behind. I always end up with 10-15 overlords hanging out over my newly made units.
Then upvote even if you don't agree with everything else, as I will make a tally for all options ^_^
If you like the others, please say so, if you don't I'd appreciate a reason.
Reply Quote
Overlord rally point and creep tumor hotkey seem kind of pointless to me - they'd be nice, but they aren't necessary. In fairness, I'm one of those people who feel that auto-start in HotS is unnecessary.

Add-on left/right would be very nice to have, however.

Shrike turret seems incredibly unnecessary. It could be nice, but it's not like terrans are all clamoring for a new defensive structure.
Reply Quote
1. What free hotkey?
2. Seems legit.
3. That would be overpowered.
Reply Quote

Eh, nobody gets any bunker upgrades, ever, not sure that is the way to go. however, bunkers with inherent attacks are something i would like to keep out of multiplayer.

Why, because then you'd see terrans using them alot more then?
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 04:23 AMPosted by Phil
Why, because then you'd see terrans using them alot more then?
Agreed, the idea is to encourage their use and their upgrades. I am not opposed to the idea of a Bunker being as it is and upgrading at the bunker itself in to a Shrike Turret (which of course would take time) and still maintains my idea in the OP. Considering it could probably make Bunker Rushes stronger. I'm still not too set on the idea that it does.

1. What free hotkey?
2. Seems legit.
3. That would be overpowered.
I don't know what you're addressing, especially since I have 4 points, not 3.

Overlord rally point and creep tumor hotkey seem kind of pointless to me - they'd be nice, but they aren't necessary. In fairness, I'm one of those people who feel that auto-start in HotS is unnecessary.

Add-on left/right would be very nice to have, however.

Shrike turret seems incredibly unnecessary. It could be nice, but it's not like terrans are all clamoring for a new defensive structure.
No offense but your post seems Terran biased. I don't care if you play Random.
Reply Quote

Personally, I think changing Neosteel Frame to adding Shrike Turrets instead of extra cargo space for bunkers would better.

+ 1 to all the other suggestions
Edited by Pyrus on 11/11/2012 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Agreed. A small upgrade cost (probably not 200m as you suggested, but something like 125 or 150) would be reasonable.
Reply Quote
I edited the OP for an alternate change to the Bunker Shrike Turrets as that seems to be the hot topic for now, but I'd like more comments on the first 3, please. There was a reason I listed them that way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]