Attributes of a Hydralisk...
1. Dps unit or a glass cannon
2. Big and tanky "powerful"
3. Slow but more "powerful"
5. Flagship unit for zerg
Problems... due to its expensive cost and tanky "Terran Tier 3" attributes the Hydralisk will always get HARD countered by almost all of the common units in the game. Many of the units include...
Terran: Marines, Tanks
Protoss: Chargelots, Aoe tech
Zerg: Infestors, Hive, RoachLing, LingBling
IF we buff the Hydra in like...
- More health
- More damage
- More X number of X
The hard counters will still be HARD COUNTERS. Who cares if hydras have 90 hp? Marine stim or basic zealot archon will just roll hydras over. If we only buff the hydras in numbers at the end the only solution to hard counters is just to buff the hydra soo much that it will counter everything, even its former hard counters (hey 150hp hydras that does 15 damage and runs almost as fast as lings... imba)
In order to buff the Hydra...
I think we need to change its mechanic. Hydras are just... bad... as a unit in general in starcraft 2 no matter how we buff it. But in order to make hydras useful we need to give it another mechanic, another variable.
Ideas for Hydras...
Remove the speed upgrade. Give it another upgrade... Haste... 200min 200gas. Allow hydras to move while burrowed at high speeds (same speed as the speed upgrade). Also give it a balance check. Hydras will take 1.5 times as long to burrow and unburrow. Plus give it a screaming claw slashing unburrowing animation just for the fans and to take up the 1.5 times longer unburrow.
Reasons why for this upgrade...
1. It will allow the hydra to escape dangers like stimed marines or colossi better.
2. It will give zerg players a counter attack unit. Due to the hydras investment and high cost getting hydras for more aggressive play will hinder hive deathball process.
3. Lore wise this is correct. Hydras are known to unburrow on marines and ambush. It will be way better then the speed buff lore wise too. I still can't imagine hydras slithering like snakes at the same speed as unupgraded zerglings.
4. Promotes more raven responses and hopefully more oracles if bliz is smart enough to return good detection.
5. This is also "zergy". Ambushes. Burrowed. Poping out everywhere... thats zerg alright... screw free units.
Add more ideas too...
Original Post in this thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7004695048?page=2