StarCraft® II

I don't understand this game.

Hey, this game is so big with the three different races, it's like 3 games in one. i know that can be a good thing, but the thing is that you have to learn how to play against all the races in different ways and i find it hard to grasp. i don't really understand the meta game either because it keeps on changing and people just come up with all these timings like in zvp after a ffe you should get your 2 geysers at 6 minute's, where does that come from?

why do protoss have to always open up with a FFE, isn't one base toss supposed to be good enough against zerg? i don't get how this game is supposed to work. it just seems like all anyone does these days is fast expand and then try to win the game, i do like this game a lot but sometimes all the timings and builds can just feel like too much and it just confuses me lol. i guess i just have to learn to scout and react to my opponent but then again i don't really know why people get there pools at 15 all the time and same with there hatcheries.

is there anywhere i can go online to find standard play styles for this race or do i just have to watch a bunch of VOD's to learn what the pro's are doing. maybe i stopped playing for fun and i am thinking too much about it lol.
Edited by Haunt on 11/14/2012 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
Play to have fun, why else?
Reply Quote
well if u dont understand what u are looking at u cant scout and react. u are better off learning a build for each matchup and learning it well. sometimes it can be difficult to understand where timings come from.

for example: the reason u take 2 gas at 6 minutes: u need to get gas to start your lair because u want upgrades like 2/2, roach speed, infestors. if u take gas earlier, it will make it so u cant spend all your larva on drones, hurting your economy. if u take it later, u wont get the gas u need to move into the midgame.

with that said, u dont HAVE to take 2 gas at 6 minutes. u can take 3 gas at 6:30, or if u want an early speed u can take 1 gas as early as 14 supply and then take drones off gas once speed finishes. there are pros and cons to all different builds, and most players dont really understand what u gain by doing different builds, they only copy streams and pros. lots of pros dont even understand the builds that they do, they just copy other pros.

then u have guys like stephano who, imo, are geniuses when it comes to strategy and come up with new builds that completely shift the metagame when everyone realizes how good they are. other people might say stephano only good cause zerg, but i would assert that he relies far less on infestors than many other successful zergs.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Chris
then u have guys like stephano who, imo, are geniuses when it comes to strategy and come up with new builds that completely shift the metagame when everyone realizes how good they are. other people might say stephano only good cause zerg, but i would assert that he relies far less on infestors than many other successful zergs.

Its just math. Do this x build this way to get y amount of roaches. Keep testing and changing the x till the maximum y was found. 1-a and watch the protoss players micro to death.
Reply Quote
It takes experience more than anything. You just have to play a LOT to get a good feel for how things work.
Reply Quote
I guess raging protoss op and terran op is fun too, the main reason i picked zerg is because i found it harder to play then protoss or terran, you make one mistake and you lose for it, but i always like a good challenge.
Reply Quote
Protoss doesn't have to open up with a FFE. 1 gate expands still work and 4 gate is still strong. Its just that FFE gives the stronger 2 base all-ins along with the ability to take a third. 4 gate is much harder to recover from if it fails.

Zerg takes two gases at 6 minutes because, like tBz said, it gives you the right amount of gas at the right time. A lot of this is just trial and error.

People get pools or hatches at 15 because that is a time where you don't have to cut drone production to get them. When the 15 drone larvae pops out of the hatchery you should have about 180 minerals. You can cut a drone right there and get a 14 pool if you want, or 14 hatchery, but if you don't think there's going to be any pressure you can get that 15 drone and get the hatch/pool right when you hit 200 minerals. You earn about 100 minerals in the time it takes to run your drone down to your natural.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]