StarCraft® II

response to one base raven play

Hi everyone,

Now I know its not generally good strategy to turtle up on one base as terran. However, what does a zerg do in the scenerio when the terran masses ravens of one base? I know they get built slowly but, energy replenishes and the more ravens that pop out, the stronger the army becomes.

I find lings and banelings are a great way to deal damage, however, that leaves you with very little to defend with at home when the ravens throw down a ton of turrets in your mineral line. I was expanding re-expanding, ect. But in the end his ravens just had too much energy.

He also made a planetary fortress, and i denied that three times with banelings. His economy was just horrible, but I couldnt get my army large enough to break the front.

suggestions?
Edited by Scyt on 10/31/2012 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would think that a few things become important:

1) He is going to be running out of gas and not building many at a time. So Muta or Corrupter should wreck them.

2) Unless his control is killer, Infestor should wreck them via Fungal Growth.

3) His ground army is going to suck hard, so roaches ought to take him down.

4) Later game, Ultra is really good, as are Broods.

It gets harder if he wants to expand all over the place, a la Ketroc.
Reply Quote
I played a really long game vs someone once who went mass raven off of 2-3 base and completely caught me off guard. In the end after losing my main, nat, and probably a few other bases, I was able to win with hydra/ultra. Ravens are terrible against ultras; PDD/hunter-seeker does very little, and hydras have pretty high DPS so PDD doesn't affect them as badly as other Z units that shoot up.

Also his ground army is going to be terrible so ling/bling to contain him works pretty well in the midgame.

I can see mass roach/festor working pretty well too.
Reply Quote
haha you bumped into Hammer (Snafu) havent you.

I think splitting your infestors +fungel sounds like a good idea. Maybe try to nidus into his base?

Also ultras pretty much can ignore most damage done from a raven, so they may be good.
Reply Quote
expand all over the map and mass 200/200 drones would probably work lol
Reply Quote
This happened to me once and wrecked me b/c I didn't scout it and I'd never had it happen to me before. After that game I made a mental note to never forget to scout a turtled terran (sound advice for every match) and while he is spending ages getting ravens you just tech up and expand. Spread your OLs everywhere.

When you finally see him push out with the 10-20 ravens all you need to do is move your infestors to intercept them and fungal them bunched up when they reach the edge of your base.

I've had this happen a few times and this always works. Either they quit right out, they scramble to make more (but you should already be heading to their base to finish them at this point), or they've floated their buildings to the corners b/c they really can't play the game at all.

It was frustrating at first but now it is just a waste of time.
Reply Quote
ling corruptor infestor
Reply Quote
okay this seems silly, i no, but this build will beat u if u dont take it seriously.

firs tthing (after identifying what hes doing), u need to get full map control. find out if hes ninjaing an expansion, well mainly try to stop him from doing it, cause if he gets it up, he planetaries and u cant do anything cause if u move out to kill it then his ravens autoturret your damn main...

next, spread creep to the edge of your base, drop spores around the edges so he cant drop autoturrets. get corrupters. get infestors. then get some broodlords to kill his turrets. spread your units and go kill him. if hes on 1 base, or he can only get 2 base, this isnt that scary. but if he can get like 3-4 planetaries up because u didnt get map control and vision of every base on the map, just realize that ravens have no counter. there like infestors that dont get used...

EDIT: im not sure i would commit to banelings to destroy his planetary, its not efficient so unless u are on 70 drones then i dont think its worth it. if hes trying to ninja a base then deny it with lings but i think once its up its up, just focus on getting out your infestor/corrupter and then the few broods to actually kill him
Edited by Chris on 11/4/2012 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
okay this seems silly, i no, but this build will beat u if u dont take it seriously.

firs tthing (after identifying what hes doing), u need to get full map control. find out if hes ninjaing an expansion, well mainly try to stop him from doing it, cause if he gets it up, he planetaries and u cant do anything cause if u move out to kill it then his ravens autoturret your damn main...

next, spread creep to the edge of your base, drop spores around the edges so he cant drop autoturrets. get corrupters. get infestors. then get some broodlords to kill his turrets. spread your units and go kill him. if hes on 1 base, or he can only get 2 base, this isnt that scary. but if he can get like 3-4 planetaries up because u didnt get map control and vision of every base on the map, just realize that ravens have no counter. there like infestors that dont get used...

EDIT: im not sure i would commit to banelings to destroy his planetary, its not efficient so unless u are on 70 drones then i dont think its worth it. if hes trying to ninja a base then deny it with lings but i think once its up its up, just focus on getting out your infestor/corrupter and then the few broods to actually kill him

Mass Corrupter owns - So there is a counter -.-. But you have to split and also get upgrades incase he makes vikings. Infester/Corrpter into some type of ground to finish him is best.
Reply Quote
doesnt matter he just autoturrets and mass harrass and corruptors are so slow. the closest thing to a counter is the infestor, and thats only because the infestor also has no counter... and mass corruptor u cant attack, so he just goes away and regens energy. which is why u need infestors for defense along with spore and then a few broods to finish
Reply Quote
He's turtling off one base so just mass expand. You should notice the two super early gas and lack of hellions, so assume air. If he's harassing with autoturrets he's wasting energy. Just keep like two hydras in each mineral line. Yeah it's not a bad idea to go hydras vs this. It sounds like a dumb strategy
Reply Quote
11/05/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Midday
He's turtling off one base so just mass expand.

well they dont normally actually stay on 1 base, since u can get like 5-6 ravens and thats it. what happens is all of a sudden 30 ravens fly in and blanket your base with autoturrets as you move out and then u just lost all your tech lol
Reply Quote
Just to troll my enemy I would take every base on the map THE moment I spotted a raven. During this time I will mass 200 supply of drones with 0/3 upgrades. I will use the spine-crawler trick to get 300/200 supply of drones. I would then a-move all my drones into his base and LOLOLOLOL as he rages at me.

That is the counter to 1 base raven play.
Reply Quote
11/05/2012 08:40 AMPosted by Chris
He's turtling off one base so just mass expand.

well they dont normally actually stay on 1 base, since u can get like 5-6 ravens and thats it. what happens is all of a sudden 30 ravens fly in and blanket your base with autoturrets as you move out and then u just lost all your tech lol

you should see the ravens coming and kill them on the way.

You should still be way ahead in economy if you scout right
Reply Quote
one base...raven play?

He can't afford that many ravens off of one base. Just bust open his front door...what's he gonna have?
Reply Quote
11/05/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Midday
if you scout right

thats what ive advocated the whole time...

11/05/2012 10:50 AMPosted by Voir
He can't afford that many ravens off of one base. Just bust open his front door...what's he gonna have?

ive seen it done with a planetary...i thought he was just absolutely retarded until i sent overlords to every position on the map (it was taldarim) and found 4 more planetaries scattered around the map...rofl. all with like 9 scvs on minerals and 6 on gas. damn. luckily taldarim is a huge map so i was able to win by building a ton of infestors and then corruptors and a few broods after like a 60 minute game where i had to sac my main, natural, and 3rd after they got blanketed in autoturrets.

on a smaller map i woulda lost, but at the same time he couldnt have hid his expansions as easily.
Edited by Chris on 11/5/2012 7:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
1base mass raven...

Just go !@#$ing kill him.
Reply Quote
1base mass raven...

Just go !@#$ing kill him.

wish it was that ez. as soon as i saw gas at the nat i knew what was happening and then this !@#$ ensued.

http://drop.sc/276248

key notes...

autoturret OP, but rather immobile

seeker missile OP, but so is magic box

raven OP, but only with energy

pf OP, but only when repaired

hidden base OP, but only when unscouted.

marine OP, but only when upgraded
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]