StarCraft® II

No Offracing Allowed

I don't care about rank. I care about having equally skilled opponents.

Definite +1

I say each player should have 12 leagues, 4 for each match type (1v1 to 4v4) as Terran, 4 as Toss, 4 as Zerg, or at the very least 6 (one for 2v2 to 4v4, 3 for 1v1 as each race).

btw, at the end of last season, I was put up against a plat when I was silver. what gives?

posted by ProdofVoid
I am all for the idea of separate ladder per races *if*, all races can only be 2 leagues apart max.

Agreed. That would cut down on potential abuses. Good point!
Edited by Setho on 11/2/2012 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dont we all tell 'bronzies' who complain they are facing 'smurfs' or players 2-3 leagues above them that 'playing people better than you makes you better'? Why is that mentality lost when a different MMR for an 'off race' idea is presented?

Are we that afraid to lose?

I am off racing this season to terran my worst one possible. 1-2 so far, YES!!! my only victory was against a gold player who dropped to bronze to off race as terran after 1k wins as protoss.

You are only ready for someone 1-2 leagues above you at top 8, due to you are ready for the WORST the upper leagues have to offer.

Those that have main race and off race prove my point I have made often. Just because you have played against a race 500+ times does not mean you know how to play that race on equal footing.

In switching you will learn
1. weakness of the builds you despise.
2. timings to push

The bitter pill everyone has to swallow is "just because you are X league with Y race, you are not that good with another". You will not win as often, probably drop rank a bit, and buying a second account will be very tempting.
Reply Quote
btw, at the end of last season, I was put up against a plat when I was silver. what gives?

had the same thing happen when I was at top 8 in silver 1v1. The reason I figure is the plat has gotten so crapy they have dropped down to a silvers MMR.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 09:54 AMPosted by ProdofVoid
had the same thing happen when I was at top 8 in silver 1v1. The reason I figure is the plat has gotten so crapy they have dropped down to a silvers MMR.

I've played against master league players in 1v1. Does that mean that master league has gotten so crappy they have dropped down to platinum's MMR? :P

In all seriousness though the matchmaking system does suck. It's frustrating to get steamrolled by someone two leagues higher than you and not very satisfying to beat someone two leagues lower than you.
Reply Quote
Liked, sticky requested.

Doncroft; Thank you for doing so much for this game/community.
Well-deserved MVP. You can truly see your passion for this game!

Doncroft for president! ... ok too far
Reply Quote
@Doncroft, I think you should add some positives to having separate ranks and leagues for all three races (maybe 4 for random) to your OP

- increases the longevity of the game and the replay value of multiplayer. This is I think the best way to garner support from the casuals with out changing it for the pros. Someone who plays casually probably wants to play with all three, it is effectively 300% of the amount of playing value. It also keeps people on b.net longer since, if you are getting ladder anxiety from your main race you can just pop on over and offrace and spend THREE accumulations of ladder points separately.

Great post, I would love for it to happen. +1
Reply Quote
I don't see why they don't just have a ranking system for each race. Kinda how when you have a different team, you have a different league, it seems like a simple fix.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 08:33 AMPosted by OceanFlex
It is true that buying a smurf account supports blizzard, this is rewarding a bad product.

I would hardly call it a bad product. Just one designed so if you pay more and want additional features, you have to pay more. Just because Wings of Liberty didn't have the UI of HotS, doesn't mean I will skip out on HotS because it makes WoL a bad product.

I agree that the option would be nice to have and makes sense with the leveling system and statistics. I would disagree that it is really that inconvenient to log off and log back in to check on your stats. I don't really care about achievement hunters, so if they really want to get max level on all races, you get multiple MMRs for different teams in team games and custom games also give you experience.

11/02/2012 08:33 AMPosted by OceanFlex
I would gladly pay a monthly subscription for this service, but I do not think that doing so is required.

This I do not understand. You would be more willing to pay monthly for the game rather than having a one time payment (and expansions) for the game?

11/02/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Doncroft
Buying multiple accounts is counter-intuitive to the new Leveling system.

I would say the current reward system does this even more so. The only way to get certain portraits in winning in 1v1s as certain races. With the leveling system, you get a XP for playing races in customs, different team games with separate MMRs. So if anything, the leveling system makes it easier to get XP of all races, then getting portraits of all races right now.

When someone buys HotS, they should get everything. All these great new features and complete freedom to offrace at their will without dealing with all these negative, fun-killing inconveniences.

I understand the incentive as a player. I would say the two big holes is for the people that really want this feature would be willing to buy multiple accounts. They certainly play enough to support this. Blizzard would certainly prefer this as well rather than give it away for free.

The other big issue is again to that question of the people that paid for smurfs being screwed over by this. You paid extra money and now all you got out of it is you were able to do what everyone else can do earlier. I would say Blizzard owes them something for buying multiple accounts and it would be a betrayal just to make smurf accounts worthless. I guess the option would be to now have 2 sets of 1v1 mmrs but unless you play a ton and want to play seriously and trying out builds on each race separately, I don't see much the point in a smurf.

Does the nonranked ladder give you a separate mmr that it tracks without showing you or does it use your current mmr to assign you a game. It doesn't seem like a normal smurf account to me.
Reply Quote
People in masters/ GM have a greater scope and ability in regards to macro micro and harass, this knowledge does not change simply because they change race. There is no reason for this. A player at high level should know all races upgrades and abilities as is, there is no reason for this at all especially with unrank option in hots.

This is unfair for people in lower ladders, it allows people in higher leagues to low cheese lower leagues, this will cause rage and chaos among bronze silver and low gold.
Reply Quote

This is unfair for people in lower ladders, it allows people in higher leagues to low cheese lower leagues, this will cause rage and chaos among bronze silver and low gold.

Not if you look at Doncrofts suggestion to not allow yourself to be more than 2 leagues below your main. Perhaps even 1 leagues worth of MMR below your main.

I'm sure there are several players who may be Diamond as X race, but only Plat as Y and Z.

EDIT:

posted by ProdofVoid
I am all for the idea of separate ladder per races *if*, all races can only be 2 leagues apart max.

Agreed. That would cut down on potential abuses. Good point!
Edited by Protostitute on 11/2/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
Having different mmrs for the practice area (unranked play) makes a lot of sense. We'll discuss it internally as well to see what the best direction is.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Dayvie
Having different mmrs for the practice area (unranked play) makes a lot of sense. We'll discuss it internally as well to see what the best direction is.

Keep us informed!
Reply Quote

Thanks for the response.
Reply Quote

Thank you.
Reply Quote

Pat yourselves on the backs, blues. You're doing much much better than the ones on the D3 forums.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft

Thank you, Mr. Kim. I can't tell you how much we appreciate the enormous effort you, Mr. Browder, and the team have been putting forth with regards to community feedback and dramatic improvements via this expansion.
Edited by Doncroft on 11/2/2012 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Thanks for the response :)
Reply Quote
Please add this
Reply Quote

I can already see Dayvie entering the room where they take all the decision and mention this idea.

He would probably go back to his chair quietly after being told "So we should put efforts into losing sales opportunities?"
Reply Quote
Yay! You got a response! Awesome job Doncroft
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]