StarCraft® II

Zerg HotS Music

I remember when we had that giant suggestion for HotS thread and on of the most common complains was the music for WoL. The zeg music is was/just ambient noise and not an actual song. So why is it still just ambient noise in HotS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yipFR5SX1WQ&feature=context-gfa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A27S3CBNUro&feature=context-gfa
Reply Quote
i want rboodwar music
Reply Quote
Zerg is a tricky race to attribute music to, they don't have a "culture" per se, but surely they can come up with something better than this.
#2 is slightly better, but you're right, it's just ambient noise.

That said, Protoss and Terran BGM is pretty mediocre too.
Reply Quote
I don't see the problem.

Nostalgia is baked into our brains from the original and Brood War. The original voices, character models, units, music, etc. Since it was the original it had nothing to compete with in our minds. StarCraft II does in spite of the fact the Terran and Zerg music is composed by the same two men. Glen Stafford and Derek Duke respectively.
To be frank, Glen Stafford had more work to do since Wings of Liberty was the Terran campaign. Derek Duke now has more to do since Heart of the Swarm is the Zerg campaign. I can't recall who composed the Protoss music, but Russell Brower did it for Wings of Liberty and probably will for Legacy of the Void.

Anyhow, there is at least one new Terran piece of music that was extracted from the Swarm beta. One of the Zerg compositions also has a feel very much like the original thanks to the guitars. Sure I believe the original soundtrack was superior, but what they are composing now is pretty good. Not a fan of Russell Brower's Protoss though. Usually he composes some pretty good stuff, but overall I am not really satisfied with how the Protoss are portrayed in StarCraft II, thus far.
I attribute this largely to Zeratul's new voice actor and how the Protoss seemingly have changed as a whole so greatly. We won't really know how the Protoss music lives up until something is extracted, I suppose. Anyway, I found these Swarm songs on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUmt0gbSrDA&feature=related
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 03:16 PMPosted by ZergSwarm
i want rboodwar music

it doesn't have to be broodwar music just something that isn't bad 2spooky ambient noise.

Zerg is a tricky race to attribute music to, they don't have a "culture" per se, but surely they can come up with something better than this.
#2 is slightly better, but you're right, it's just ambient noise.

That said, Protoss and Terran BGM is pretty mediocre too.

industrial music.

11/03/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Pain
I don't see the problem.

The music for the zerg in Host is just noise, and not actual music.

Nostalgia is baked into our brains from the original and Brood War....

I love how you just assume I'm crying nostalgia, because there certainly isn't anything wrong with WoL. The Music for zerg in SC1 was better because they were actual songs.

11/03/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Pain
Anyhow, there is at least one new Terran piece of music that was extracted from the Swarm beta.

thank godness the most complete race has good music for the zerg expansion.

Anyway, I found these Swarm songs on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUmt0gbSrDA&feature=related

That is from a cutscene, but at least it's a song.
Edited by Damy on 11/4/2012 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Did you even listen to any of the Zerg themes in their entirety for Wings of Liberty. I'm pretty sure there was some composition in there. In-game you only get very small bits and pieces of the overall compositions. All the races require ambiance with music mixed in. There is slightly more variety in SC II music than in its predecessor although the original game had tracks that simply cannot be topped.

There is a flaw in logic apparent. When you resort to becoming emotional and automatically assuming I am calling you out, then there is some break in logic. Essentially you suggest that I am using ad hominem to attack you. People don't even listen to the full WoL race songs to really determine much. I've listened to them several times and the only one that doesn't really seem to build upon the atmosphere of the old musical pieces is Protoss.
Honestly that is like asking for someone to create Thriller again, but better. It simply won't happen and Zerg and Terran themes definitely fit with the feel of their respective races. There was little ambiance in StarCraft or Brood War since it relied on its songs to make up for its relative lack of variety.

No need to be snide. Music shouldn't be judged in a similar manner to overall game design and balance related material. Music should be universally pleasurable regardless which race you main as or the animosity Terran players developed for themselves. Besides, it is a Zerg campaign, obviously there is going to more Zerg centric music. Derek Duke only was able to compose a few tracks for WoL, he is basically doing the majority of the music for Swarm since he has always composed the Zerg music.

If you played the whole thing, you would know that only the first one or two were from cutscenes. The rest were in-game songs. There were 2 Zerus themes, for instance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]