8 marines vs 4 marauders

When I drop in my opponents main base, I like destroying their forge, engbay, armory, spire, bane nest.. etc..

That brings me this question, which is better for quickly sniping the building? (or in general...?)
4 mauraders? or 8 marines? or combo?
and WHY?
Reply Quote
All buildings have the armoured tag, so marauders can snipe buildings faster due to their bonus dmg.
Reply Quote
Marines are far better at killing stuff unless they're up against shield upgrades or +2 building armor upgrade. 1 marine does slightly more damage than a marauder against armored units with 0 armor (like the infestor). A marauder will do ever so slightly more damage to building with 1 armor than a marine at 0 attack upgrades, but marauders take 2 slots while marines take 1.

Marauders are easier to keep alive and load/unload micro to kill structures with. Marine DPS will fall drastically if a couple die. It's much harder to lose a marauder. Conc shells also helps a bit when targeting workers, but you don't too many marauders if you're planning on hitting the workers.
Reply Quote
4 marauders do more DPS against armored targets. All structures are armored so this may be a good idea if you are only sniping structures however marines are better against everything else.
Reply Quote
10/31/2012 05:32 PMPosted by BlackDeath
4 marauders do more DPS against armored targets. All structures are armored so this may be a good idea if you are only sniping structures however marines are better against everything else.

Thats actually still not true. Marine's do similar DPS when you take into account there is two of them per marauder.

The only reason to get marauders is they are more durable than marines. I would get one, so when they warp in zealots you can put the marauder in the mineral patch where on it gets hit while the marines do the damage.
Edited by max on 11/1/2012 6:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thats actually still not true. Marine's do similar DPS when you take into account there is two of them per marauder.

The only reason to get marauders is they are more durable than marines. I would get one, so when they warp in zealots you can put the marauder in the mineral patch where on it gets hit while the marines do the damage.

Marauder vs armored > 2 marines
Marauder vs non armored < 2 marines (I think even 1 marine is better at this point)
Reply Quote
Marauders are great against Supply Depots, Add-ons, and Upgrade facilities. What they're not great at is killing the units that are trying to kill your drop, --like a Viking or Marines-- or killing production. (because it can lift off)

In TvZ I would say Marines, unless you're doing a double drop or trying to snipe an expansion, in which case I would say have a couple of Marauders or go all Marauders, respectively.

In TvP it depends on what you're trying to do. Probe kills? Marines. Buildings? Marauders. Want to be ready for both opportunities? Marine/Marauder.
Edited by Fencar on 11/3/2012 2:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Marauder vs armored > 2 marines
Marauder vs non armored < 2 marines (I think even 1 marine is better at this point)

not quite true.

it actualy depends on your weapon upgrades. At +0 and +1 marauders do more dps, at +2 and +3 marines do, assuming the standard building armor value of 1. at 0 building armor marines win out at all upgrade levels, at 2 building armor marines win at +3 only, and at 3+ armor marauders always win.
Reply Quote
Marauders are only better than marines at not dying. Marauders with medivacs to heal them can take an absurd pounding and stay alive.

DPS for supply, marines are still better (even vs armored).
Edited by AmericanSCV on 11/3/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you want to snipe workers, always go marines. If you're going up against buildings though, I would lean more towards Marauders. It's not that they do more DPS; in fact the difference is almost negligible at times. It's just that Marauders are more likely to survive defends against it, as they have double the health and Concussive Shells. If you aren't sure, an equal set with 4 Marines and 2 Marauders will probably suffice.
Reply Quote
You should go for marines. Marines have a high dps, kills workers, and they are cheap. Most bio mechers can use 2 medivacs full of marines to drop and just sack the marines when infestors come in order to let the medivacs escape. Due to the cost effiecency of marines and their dps, marines will trade evenly if not better if dropped and even sacked.
Reply Quote
8 marauder drop can snipe a nexus pretty fast.
Reply Quote
vs a target with 1 armor, no stim,
+0 marine: 5.80 (x2= 11.6 dps)
+0 marauder: 12.67 dps

+1 marine: 6.97 (x2= 13.96 dps)
+1 marauder: 14 dps

+2 marine: 8.13 (x2= 16.26 dps)
+2 marauder: 15.33 dps

+3 marine: 9.29 (x2= 18.58 dps)
+3 marauder: 16.67 dps

vs a target with 1 armor, with stim,
+0 marine: 8.71 (x2= 17.42 dps)
+0 marauder: 19 dps

+1 marine: 10.45 (x2= 20.90 dps)
+1 marauder: 21 dps

+2 marine: 12.20 (x2= 24.40 dps)
+2 marauder: 23 dps

+3 marine: 13.94 (x2= 27.88 dps)
+3 marauder: 25 dps
Edited by SirZ on 11/5/2012 7:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
I just tested it in the unit tester.

Without sheild upgrades marines still lost. 4 marauders kill buildings faster than marines.

Why this is the case? Well obviously marauders have good dps on armored units but also takes twice as long to unload marines vs marauders.

I basically had them kill 1 pylon and 1 building and dropped the marines slightly before the marauders and the marauders still won.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]