StarCraft® II

Having trouble with 1 rax FE in TvT

Hello,

lately, especially on some of the smaller maps like shakuras, ohana and others, I've been having some trouble with the really fast hellion marine drop. For awhile I got to the point where I wanted Ts to try that against me because I always stopped it, but masters do it a bit faster and its harder to hold.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this? I try to keep my marines active as possible to shoot down the medivac as they try to come in but its kind of a coinflip on whether im in the right place at the right time or not.

I'm also having a lot of trouble against the mass muta/ling builds going on. I guess I may go back to mech in TvZ. any advice on that would be appreciated too
Reply Quote
It's hard to help you if we don't know exactly what you're doing. Could you post a replay on drop.sc and link to it here?
Reply Quote
Hello,

lately, especially on some of the smaller maps like shakuras, ohana and others, I've been having some trouble with the really fast hellion marine drop. For awhile I got to the point where I wanted Ts to try that against me because I always stopped it, but masters do it a bit faster and its harder to hold.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this? I try to keep my marines active as possible to shoot down the medivac as they try to come in but its kind of a coinflip on whether im in the right place at the right time or not.

I'm also having a lot of trouble against the mass muta/ling builds going on. I guess I may go back to mech in TvZ. any advice on that would be appreciated too

the meta of TvT has totally changed because of this build imo. right now, it's important to get gasses up asap once your expo goes down so you can get a factory, reactor and starport of your own.

a defensive mix is naked factory, vikings from your starport and reactored marines
and offensive mix is reactor fact, medivacs from your starport and naked marines

scan his main @ 6:30 and add up together the gasses, how much has been harvested. if you find out you're behind it's best to go into reator marines + hellions and viking. once you have a viking out, you want to grab a techlab on your fact for a raven or siege tank production based on what he's doin

1 rax fe into 2 more barracks and double gas is at this point a build only for pros, if you mess up your execution you can get SO far behind, so its better to open fact and bunker up in the early game
Reply Quote
I've been experimenting with a build that I got from a master Terran, Halby, who I think stole it from PokeBunny.

It's 1raxFE into 4 total rax. Keep pumping Marines and push when you have 10-12. I find that against these Hellion openers, you'll have your first dozen Marines on the map at about the time that he has 4 Hellions, but no Medivac. As long as you can keep your Marines perpendicular to his Hellions, the Marines will either win or at least trade well enough to delay his drop. Meanwhile, you can rally the rest of your Marines into your main to be defensive, or rally them to his front door if you get the snowball advantage rolling. From here, I double gas around 5:30 - 6:00, depending on if I needed an early ebay and get 2tech. 2reactor on the rax for stim and combat shields at the same time and maybe Marauders if he's going mech.

I'm still playing with it, so I don't know all of the holes, but so far I've been able to hold against most 1 early gas openers vs diamond opponents, and the guy I copied it from is mid-high masters. This is also yet another way punish the Thorzain build, because you'll hit when his Reactors are still building. I can also plow through a single Bunker, if I rally my rax to his base, unless he has lots of SCVs already in place to repair (or multiple Bunkers).

So far, I'm liking it as a good early pressure build where you just get a ton of Marines before he can do much with tech.

Your mileage may vary, of course. ;)
Reply Quote
Thanks Senza thats a really good explanation.

I just did that hellion marine drop on antiga against a Master terran who 1 rax FEd. I even executed it horribly (never done it before) and still crippled his economy and won the game.

I'm starting to see why so many Masters open gas in this match up now. If they 1 rax fe you have a good chance of crippling their economy, and you still get your expo up pretty fast so you aren't even behind either way.

Screw relying on perfect defense after 1 rax feing I'm going to stick to this for awhile.
Reply Quote
I hate this drop and refuse to use it. Like Sensa said, you can still 1RaxFE. You just double gas and complete a 1-1-1 after the expo and get a reactor on the Rax after you start the Factory. From there you can leverage defender's advantage by doing almost exactly the same thing he is, except you get a Viking instead of a Medivac. I much prefer this, because if I can defend with a 1raxFE, he's behind... and I suck at early-game micro/macro harass stuff. ^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]