StarCraft® II

Worldbuilding Takes a Lot

11/21/2012 11:04 AMPosted by AlexTheGreat
It was too hollywoodized, if you will.

So is an "average joe" type of character vowing to take revenge against a smug and seemingly invincible villain... Besides, people can minimize Raynor's relationship with Kerrigan as much as they want, but it doesn't change the fact that his "friendship" with Fenix was even *less* developed.

Between sparing the life of an important character who still has the potential to grow and avenging the death of an underdeveloped and unimportant character, I can't blame Blizzard for choosing the former.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 11/21/2012 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Artanis in BW sounds *nothing* like Jack Ritschel: his voice-actor, who sounds like Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager, did voices for StarCraft: Precursors and WarCraft III as well.

Well, care to share those facts with us?

I know Jack Ritschel voiced Dugalle in BW; either he didn't have to exert himself or his voice range was really limited, because the character sounded almost exactly like Duke and Zeratul. Also, according to IMDB, he voiced the Protoss High Templar, but honestly with all the crazy filters, it's hard to tell... The same goes for the Overmind.

That statement reeks with snobbism and smugness... I love it!

Too bad, he had to voice some of the lamest characters in the entire series:

Duke was worthless as a character; Dugalle was a moron and Zeratul... well, quite frankly, I think the latter's popularity is due more to his unit stats than to its personality, which was pretty damn inconsistent to begin with: in SC1, he was a cowardly jerk and in BW he became a clueless fool with mother issues. Wings of Liberty depicted him as some kind disgraced samurai, and I hope that Blizzard will stick with that portrayal, because it's by far the least embarrassing.

Is it really necessary to try and prove anything to you? For some reason you sure love to always invade and troll when I post something story related even if it is not in the Story forums which you have turned into a hellhole. There have been Blizzcon interviews & panels, interviews with SC Legacy, IMDb, (Don't take it at face value, they've been known to be wrong.) StarCraft wiki, and if someone cares enough they can browse the credits. If I am wrong, so be it. I don't see the point in getting up in arms.
I'm fairly certain I'm accurate in this assessment, but who knows. I've also heard that James Harper was credited with voicing DuGalle, but I'd check the credits to confirm since I haven't yielded any worthwhile results to make any claim.

Are you not making assumptions you claimed I was making? I stand corrected, Artanis' voice actor is not Jack Ritschel, Artanis and Duran were voiced by Paul Ainsley. Allen Adham and Chris Metzen ironically seem to both voice the ghost, but I am having my doubts about the former. Although Allen Adham, Glen Stafford, and Jason Hayes are credited for their pieces I am having mixed results or nothing conclusive. Unless I could make contact with Chris Metzen there is likely no way to know for certain.

*Still nothing on DuGalle though. I found Stukov's voice actor, but at the moment it is Jack Ritschel as you say, and James Harper whom I have found. The credits don't mention whom voices what, so that is what is really infuriating.

I'm guessing you really haven't compared Western view of voice acting to Eastern voice acting. Talent is far more appreciated and respected in the East. Ask any American voice actor other than the really popular ones like Steven Blum, and you'll find that few people even know them much less seem to appreciate the effort. It is like being an actor without the body language to fall back on. A voice actor has to get the job done with only their voice, if they don't do this well, it shows.
There is so much more benefit and respect for voice acting beyond the West. The West is at a state where it considers the more efficient methods as traditional and have moved away from that in favor of being jammed into a cubicle with no human interaction. (obviously there are exceptions)

Being snide isn't going to win you any favors. Ranting and claiming you dislike something is not winning you support. Besides, I'd prefer Zeratul as he was compared to the one in Wings. In Wings, Zeratul is comparable to an old man with Alzheimer's who mistook himself for a doomsayer. Regardless of how you love to repeat yourself, (Yes, I've heard you make this argument many times.) the old dialogue made Zeratul far more respectable than what we have now.
Moreover, Fenix did have considerable value as a character. He supported the other Protoss and, of course, influenced Raynor. If he was a character without value, he wouldn't be seen again after his death. Like it or not, but Fenix was important and Zeratul in the past had more depth to him. It was bad enough just hearing how poor his new voice actor is, but when his dialogue is similarly poor, I really must wonder how bad it will be in Legacy of the Void.

@StratosTygo: The Overmind in WoL was voiced by Paul Eiding. Previously he voiced Aldaris.

Here is a fun fact, Artanis is "Sinatra" spelled backwards.
Reply Quote
I think these may or may not explain some of these things you are talking about:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7493439
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7597722
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7646518/StarCraft_II_Creative_Development_QA_-_Part_3-10_22_2012
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7713050/StarCraft_II_Creative_Development_QA_-_Part_4-10_29_2012
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7778772/StarCraft_II_Creative_Development_QA_-_Part_5-11_5_2012
Reply Quote
It doesn't really matter at this point: no matter what the devs do or say, they just can't please everyone.

Might as well just focus on pleasing those who can be pleased...
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 11/22/2012 5:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I generally enjoy most of what I play/read/watch, but Wings of Liberty had one of the most atrocious storylines I've recently come across. The entire premise behind the antagonist is "I want to destroy the universe so that I can clone myself," and once he does so he spouts a quote from A-team. This is the literary equivalent of taking a giant crap in the middle of the room.

Nah, he's pretty nitpicky -- when you feel the need to make the disclaimer about it not being geeky nitpicking... then it probably is. And it is. Despite his initial disclaimer, almost none of those things are something your average player would spend two seconds thinking about as they played through the game. They'd just enjoy it.

Nitpicking would be if I pointed out that all 3 battlecruiser classes (gorgon, behemoth, and minotaur) all use the same model. Or that planets can be recolonized after being purified. Or that they misspelled one of the planets in the news text. Or the stupidity of the gimmicks: the slowest supernova explosion I've ever seen with its ridiculous wall of fire. Or the fact that lava does not rise and dissipate that fast repeatedly. Or the absurdity of planets such as Redstone and New Folsom. Baked spaghetti noddles would work just as well at supporting New Folsom as steel rods would.

All things considered, I was pretty lenient. I liked Horner, Tosh, and the Char missions. I know it was a long review, but the truth is that you can write an entire book on all the things that Wings of Liberty did wrong. I tried to stick to the writing itself.

I think these may or may not explain some of these things you are talking about:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7493439
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7597722
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7646518/StarCraft_II_Creative_Development_QA_-_Part_3-10_22_2012
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7713050/StarCraft_II_Creative_Development_QA_-_Part_4-10_29_2012
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7778772/StarCraft_II_Creative_Development_QA_-_Part_5-11_5_2012

I've read those, and I have a lot of respect for Brian for acknowledging these issues. The problem with those Q&As though is that none of those things were expressed in the game itself, and in fact, some of the answers are actually contradictory to what you see in the game. For example it says "I've noticed that a lot of people think the prophecy says Kerrigan will save the universe. It doesn't." Yet in the game, Zeratul says 'The final piece of the prophecy. It speaks of one who shall "...break the cycle of the gods..."'

So does writing a terrible review, it seems. :P

I've read better written, more honest criticisms in the first weeks following Wings of Liberty's release.

Wow are you still trolling these forums. Though you'd have got bored by now. :P

I disagree with the reviewer's sentiments on the Korhal infiltration as well. Raynor is resourceful and this would be a key opportunity to prove that. This was too apparent throughout the duration of the campaign though, but I could realistically see him pulling off the Media Blitz's mission.

I just can't rationalize this no matter which way I slice it. At a time when the fleets pulled back to defend core worlds such as Korhal, how was Raynor even able to penetrate orbit? It wasn't even a raid, they set up a base and Raynor specifically mentions the Command Center. Given the massive infrastructure of Korhal's ecumenopolis, one battlecruiser of prodigies should not be able to even contemplate such a plan, let alone execute it. The fact that he's resourceful is not an excuse.

11/21/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Pain
It was bad enough just hearing how poor his new voice actor is, but when his dialogue is similarly poor, I really must wonder how bad it will be in Legacy of the Void.

I have seen fan-made voices which come closer to sounding like Artanis from SC1 than the Artanis in SC2 does. Here is one which I made in a few minutes with my crappy 5 dollar mic, and it's not even polished:
http://sclegacy.com/_staff/gradius/soundtest/artanis3.mp3

And when I first saw the Overmind I was genuinely confused. First off, he looks absolutely nothing like the original eyeball, he has four plates surrounding his eyes. Second off, the voice effects sound nothing like the original; again, I've heard fan renditions that are much closer. On my first playthrough I seriously wondered "wait, who is this talking?" They did the same thing with Tassadar, unable to get the original actor who was probably across the room doing voicework for Deckard Cain. I seriously don't know what the voice department is doing besides twiddling their thumbs. The only thing that returning characters have in common with the original game is the name. That's it. They do not talk the same, look the same, sound the same, and to top it all of, most of them have lost like 50 IQ points.
Edited by Gradius on 11/22/2012 7:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 06:46 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
I know Jack Ritschel voiced Dugalle in BW

James Harper did Dugalle, Harper and Ritschel sound similar though.

11/21/2012 06:46 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
in SC1, he was a cowardly jerk

No he wasn't, he left tassadar, because tassadar made a retarded decision to stay with the conclave.

11/21/2012 11:04 AMPosted by AlexTheGreat
Even taking account of zeratul's warning. He trusted tassadar and fenix far more than he ever did zeratul.) O

So just because he trusted dead people, that means he would RISK the universe just for revenge? Now that DOESN'T make sense.
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Gradius

Not bad, do Zeratul next, if I had a mic and a similar program I could do a Zeratul voice (hell even without it)

First off, he looks absolutely nothing like the original eyeball, he has four plates surrounding his eyes.

Good, the old one was generic looking too me.

Second off, the voice effects sound nothing like the original;

I wouldn't say "nothing" I compared them, the only real difference is the tone.

. On my first playthrough I seriously wondered "wait, who is this talking?"

Clean out your ears, I easily figured it out without thought.
Reply Quote
I just can't rationalize this no matter which way I slice it. At a time when the fleets pulled back to defend core worlds such as Korhal, how was Raynor even able to penetrate orbit? It wasn't even a raid, they set up a base and Raynor specifically mentions the Command Center. Given the massive infrastructure of Korhal's ecumenopolis, one battlecruiser of prodigies should not be able to even contemplate such a plan, let alone execute it. The fact that he's resourceful is not an excuse.

Tychus in the Odin is understandable given Matt's favors. I believe the bigger problem is that Raynor was a consistent winner throughout Wings. I see it as more rational than Raynor's Raiders landing on Char's surface unscathed while Warfield's troops were mauled to hell. Seeing the base hovering onto the place is a bit much. However, I figure the Dominion forces were primarily at the ceremony and their respective bases.
As for landing on Korhal, I doubt the Raiders came all that close in the Hyperion. Briefings can be given at greater distances than what they generally did with other missions. They had those Hercules transports after all, those are fairly common. It would be simple enough to land on Korhal then to rendezvous with Tychus. It is likely that their base will not be noticed if most of it is constructed on site.

The location could have been an abandoned lot, but do to having to have a base within the confines of a decent sized map, some things were likely forfeited. Naturally I don't expect those resources would be left around especially on Korhal. That is when we enter nitpicky territory since you can't play without managing an economy to build up your forces. The map can't be huge like some of the multiplayer maps, it has to be confined, so it appears closer to the Dominion than canonically it probably is. Given the gameplay elements will cause such occurrences often, we cannot 100% get an accurate portrayal within the maps. I think that is a tad nitpicky.
Raynor's Raiders grew considerably from early on. However, I can't recall which canonically came first Raynor's allying with Valerian or the UNN broadcasts they sent off on Korhal. If the latter, they might only have one Battlecruiser, but they would have other available support units like Ravens or Science vessels which can support more troops. Assuming the former occurs first, then Valerian is instrumental in assisting Raynor for this mission.

It is possible with a little espionage enacted and given the gameplay vs. story causes some skewed information. However, I will agree with you that it was kind of absurd that Warfield couldn't stop Raynor from broadcasting those messages despite having the Dominion's full force at his call. I could see Raynor getting away with maybe one, and that is only if he splits his men up and send them to all towers simultaneously.
It would cost many lives, but even one broadcast would be enough. The other two were actually unnecessary, so the whole of the Dominion might not receive it, a huge chunk would have and they'd have the audio recordings like Kate. I definitely must agree with you though, Kate should have been fired ages ago. She is practically a terrorist with her responses, and she pulls out a recording in Arcturus, yet she still keeps her job and is promoted!? Blizzard just blundered big time with that little snag.
Reply Quote
And when I first saw the Overmind I was genuinely confused. First off, he looks absolutely nothing like the original eyeball, he has four plates surrounding his eyes. Second off, the voice effects sound nothing like the original; again, I've heard fan renditions that are much closer. On my first playthrough I seriously wondered "wait, who is this talking?" They did the same thing with Tassadar, unable to get the original actor who was probably across the room doing voicework for Deckard Cain. I seriously don't know what the voice department is doing besides twiddling their thumbs. The only thing that returning characters have in common with the original game is the name. That's it. They do not talk the same, look the same, sound the same, and to top it all of, most of them have lost like 50 IQ points.

I don't see how this is a problem. Paul Eiding voiced the Overmind quite well. Between it and Artanis, I'd say their new voices are the best. It sounded pretty close to the Overmind to me except with some differences attributed to Jack Ritschel's only personal touch to the nefarious creature. Sure, Jack Ritschel's Overmind was better, but Paul Eiding's is pretty damn good. It was instantly recognizable due to how unique its design was from any other we'd previously seen.
That bothered me, too. Michael Gough voiced Cain again, but he couldn't spare 10 minutes to voice Tassadar. It would be cheaper on top of it all. Why hire another voice actor when you already employed the original? It mostly has to do with their new voice director and Chris Metzen apparently isn't interested in trying to reunite the old cast if possible. He tried to replace Robert Clottworthy as Raynor for a couple years, then out of the blue, he sprung Tricia Helfer on us, and kicked Glynnis Talken off despite the latter being way better.

Well, to be fair, we never really saw much of their full designs. Raynor did look like he had in the original game when we saw the "Ghosts of the Past" cinematic. Arcturus also looks much better. Kerrigan's suit looked kind of odd, and Tricia Helfer has a terrible voice all around whether it is normal Kerrigan or Infested. Glynnis Talken really should have be allowed to reprise her role.
Zeratul's design was the most disappointing though. He didn't look as dark or mysterious. I still don't know why Blizzard changed his eye color, either. Overall the full body/updated designs were pretty good except for a few. But, I must agree that that despite Arcturus and Raynor having the same voice actors, their dialogue just did not have the same feel they used to exude. Most of this is the product of poor dialogue.
Edited by Pain on 11/23/2012 7:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

I don't see how this is a problem. Paul Eiding voiced the Overmind quite well. Between it and Artanis, I'd say their new voices are the best. It sounded pretty close to the Overmind to me except with some differences attributed to Jack Ritschel's only personal touch to the nefarious creature. Sure, Jack Ritschel's Overmind was better, but Paul Eiding's is pretty damn good. It was instantly recognizable due to how unique its design was from any other we'd previously seen.

Not saying it's a problem, just an observation. Here's a little thread I made which shows some of the fan-made voices:
http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15297

To me, the difference between the SC1 & fanmade overmind voices vs. SC2 is like night & day.

Zeratul's design was the most disappointing though. He didn't look as dark or mysterious. I still don't know why Blizzard changed his eye color, either. Overall the full body/updated designs were pretty good except for a few. But, I must agree that that despite Arcturus and Raynor having the same voice actors, their dialogue just did not have the same feel they used to exude. Most of this is the product of poor dialogue.

Indeed. The original zeratul concept is superior IMHO: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/34626/1455215-zeratul.jpg

Tychus in the Odin is understandable given Matt's favors. I believe the bigger problem is that Raynor was a consistent winner throughout Wings. I see it as more rational than Raynor's Raiders landing on Char's surface unscathed while Warfield's troops were mauled to hell. Seeing the base hovering onto the place is a bit much. However, I figure the Dominion forces were primarily at the ceremony and their respective bases.
As for landing on Korhal, I doubt the Raiders came all that close in the Hyperion. Briefings can be given at greater distances than what they generally did with other missions. They had those Hercules transports after all, those are fairly common. It would be simple enough to land on Korhal then to rendezvous with Tychus. It is likely that their base will not be noticed if most of it is constructed on site.

The Odin must have been a logistical cluster!@#$ that would have never worked in reality, but it's not really a point of contention for me because the writers themselves realized it. Not the case with most other flaws in the story like Media Blitz. They should have been detected. Mengsk is getting ready for the swarm to come flooding out of a wormhole that randomly opens above or next to Korhal. Realistically he should be monitoring all hyperspace activity and scanning for derelict flyers. So whether he lands close to the Dominion base or not, the armies of the dominion homeworld should have descended upon him and crushed him like a cracker over soup. Even if somehow the Raiders got by undetected with their giant command center, you'd think security would still be high, and again, they'd have gotten crushed.

I guess it's just a matter of suspension of disbelief. For me the fun in sci-fi is imagining that these things might actually take place, so curbing the suspension of disbelief should have been the biggest priority.

However, I can't recall which canonically came first Raynor's allying with Valerian or the UNN broadcasts they sent off on Korhal. If the latter, they might only have one Battlecruiser, but they would have other available support units like Ravens or Science vessels which can support more troops. Assuming the former occurs first, then Valerian is instrumental in assisting Raynor for this mission.

I'm pretty sure you get to pick, at which point another bizarre & absurd scenario plays out because of this worthless "pick your mission" gimmick.

"Sure Valerian, I'll agree to work with you, just give me a second to launch an attack on your homeworld and humiliate your father, then we can get going!"

That bothered me, too. Michael Gough voiced Cain again, but he couldn't spare 10 minutes to voice Tassadar. It would be cheaper on top of it all. Why hire another voice actor when you already employed the original? It mostly has to do with their new voice director and Chris Metzen apparently isn't interested in trying to reunite the old cast if possible. He tried to replace Raynor for a couple years, then out of the blue, he sprung Tricia Helfer on us, and kicked Glynnis Talken off despite the latter being way better.

Helfer adds absolutely nothing to the voice. Chris talked about the "subtle nuances" that her voice brought to Kerrigan, but that's just a crock of bull%^-*. He just wanted star power and he's a known BSG fanboy. While Metzen revolutionized RTS storytelling, I have to admit I've lost a bit of respect for him when it became apparent that he doesn't really give that much of a damn.
Reply Quote
11/23/2012 02:28 AMPosted by Pain
Blizzard changed his eye color

They changed all of their eye colors, which I think is dumb, I liked his orange eyes better.

Blizzard fumbled Zeratul, even I agree with that.
Reply Quote
The Protoss looked better with orange eyes.

Although I must agree that the fanmade Overmind sounded more akin to Jack Ritschel's that does not mean that Paul Eiding's was bad. It is just a different take, and frankly I think that is what is missing from most of WoL. The objective shouldn't be to mimic the original, but to offer your own take that is also good. Although seeing what Blizzard did to Zeratul, I dearly wish there was some good fan made voice over. This is a common thing in English dubs of anime, they try to mimic the original cast and fail horribly.
I like how Crispin Freeman attempts to tackle dub roles. He just develops the voice based on his impressions of the characters' personalities. Voice over in video games need to be taken more seriously and be more critical. That Arkham City was failed for having the best voice cast in a video game. Why don't more companies aim for that degree of perfection?

I can understand where you are coming from Gradius, but Media Blitz is by no means a huge problem compared to the other gaping flaws in WoL. It is disappointing that StarCraft's once eloquent dialogue and the broad vocabulary of its characters are absent. I always thought of the Overmind, its cerebrates, and the Protoss as fairly intelligent and eloquent with their speech. So why is the dialogue, so butchered and wholly restricted to 2-3 sentences each? It makes it more believable for the characters to have a larger vocabulary, and seriously interact with one enough.
This means develops immersion. I don't really mind Media Blitz, there are ways around it. Given that we are aware that fringe world refugees were flooding the core worlds to escape the Zerg, I think it is possible that Raynor's men could have slipped by. I'm guessing the size of that ceremony must have been massive. There simply wouldn't be enough Dominion troops to watch everything.

I even suspect the Command Center was merely brought in for the gameplay. Logically it wouldn't make sense to see a huge CC just floating by. It is obvious that the Dominion couldn't miss that, but I am not overly critical of it since the gameplay had to taken precedence in those cases. Already my favorite character from Swarm is Abathur. He remins me of the cerebrates, and he has an interesting design and role within the Zerg Swarm.
I was asking what the canon order that Blizzard established. The nonlinear plot is basically what did the most damage, in addition, to the dialogue. I saw it a few Blizzcons before release at one of the Lore panels. I knew it was a bad idea, and I was proven correct after it was released. Blizzard has choices that they consider canon, so I just want to know if Valerian and Raynor's partnership came before or after the Media Blitz mission.

Now that I think about it, The time of the secret mission would be nice to know. Probably before the Char missions, but that is some food for thought. I'd like to hear Raynor and crew's thoughts regarding that incident. It is unlikely that Valerian would have helped Raynor on that mission, but it all depends on how much he wishes to prove himself superior to Arcturus. The deal that was struck could have been a deciding factor, but we really didn't see that in-game.

Agreed. Tricia Helfer has done nothing, but make me hate Kerrigan for reasons that I didn't hate the prior. I loved to hate Glynnis Talken's Kerrigan, I hate Tricia Helfer's since it is so generic, bland, and frankly garbage.
Reply Quote
11/23/2012 11:24 PMPosted by Pain
English dubs of anime,

I don't know, I almost always like the dubs, mostly because I don't speak japanese so...

So why is the dialogue, so butchered and wholly restricted to 2-3 sentences each? It makes it more believable for the characters to have a larger vocabulary, and seriously interact with one enough.

Because we mostly interact with terrans, most of which aren't leaders and aren't eloquent.

Agreed. Tricia Helfer has done nothing, but make me hate Kerrigan for reasons that I didn't hate the prior. I loved to hate Glynnis Talken's Kerrigan, I hate Tricia Helfer's since it is so generic, bland, and frankly garbage.

I don't know, I find Kerrigan in general to be nothing more than a spoiled brat, who was practically handed power, had tassadar killed the overmind without dying, Kerrigan would've lost.

If everyone was smart during BW, they would've tolerated the UED and crushed her.

If stukov wasn't killed the UED would've won.

Kerrigan pretty much won through circumstance.
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 12:01 PMPosted by StratosTygo

Not bad, do Zeratul next, if I had a mic and a similar program I could do a Zeratul voice (hell even without it)

I added Zeratul but if you want to contribute a fan voice that'd be solid, since I don't sound like Zeratul @ all.
Reply Quote
Just read that article... many good points were made in it. This one was awesome lol:

4) Kerrigan makes nothing but empty promises, and fails. Every. Single. Time. What is the difference between Kerrigan and the demon lords from Diablo 3 like Belial, Asmodan, and Diablo? None, they're all the same character. Raynor keeps all of his promises (except those from Brood War), but Kerrigan can't seem to keep any despite all of her power.

I wonder if post War3/WoW-vanilla, Blizz has changed their writing department or something.
Reply Quote
Blah blah blah

Bro half the crap you spewed from your mouth is common in every video game; it's a video game, not reality.

I think what people are forgetting here is that this is a game and NOT a book.

Don't get me wrong I love books and love great stories... And I loved the SC, BW and WoL stories all of them.

Are their flaws in them? Inconsistencies? Yes and yes.

Why? Because it is a game and there is only so much writers can put into the game. I'm sorry but when I'm playing a game I don't want to spend 20 minutes listening to voice acting for every mission.

Which brings me to my next point. There were 29 missions total that's a pretty fair amount and the story that was given in them was good tons and tons of voice acting inbetween each mission and a lot of voice acting before / in missions.

You guys are expecting a novel to come from the campaign it simply isn't possible by anyone. You can say but SC1 and BW those were good stories! They were just as WoL is, the difference is the time, those stories were 10 years ago.

All in all I enjoyed the campaign's story for 29 missions there was a lot in it. But again it was 29 missions you can't expect a novel in that.
Reply Quote

Don't get me wrong I love books and love great stories... And I loved the SC, BW and WoL stories all of them.

Are their flaws in them? Inconsistencies? Yes and yes.

Why? Because it is a game and there is only so much writers can put into the game. I'm sorry but when I'm playing a game I don't want to spend 20 minutes listening to voice acting for every mission.

Which brings me to my next point. There were 29 missions total that's a pretty fair amount and the story that was given in them was good tons and tons of voice acting inbetween each mission and a lot of voice acting before / in missions.

You guys are expecting a novel to come from the campaign it simply isn't possible by anyone. You can say but SC1 and BW those were good stories! They were just as WoL is, the difference is the time, those stories were 10 years ago.

All in all I enjoyed the campaign's story for 29 missions there was a lot in it. But again it was 29 missions you can't expect a novel in that.

Nobody expects a novel or "tons of voice acting". Wings of Liberty was so bloated that it's script was still way bigger than SC1, BW, and Enslavers combined.

Bro half the crap you spewed from your mouth is common in every video game; it's a video game, not reality.

Wasn't common in SC1BW. The game had some flaws I admit, but at the least it didn't insult its players by treating them like children i.e. playing as some invincible prodigy who steamrolls the entire sector from his single outdated battlecruiser.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 04:36 AMPosted by Valsoriel

That's what bothers me with people advocating linear storytelling in videogames: the medium revolves around interactivity! Disregarding that strength would be a huge waste of potential.

Developers should aim at making their stories as open-ended as possible. So what if you can occasionally break sequence? Wings of Liberty may be a timid start, but playing it made me craving for more, in a good way! I can only hope Blizzard continues with non-linear campaigns, because that's where the money is.

Heck, after playing XCOM, I can only dream of a totally open-ended StarCraft campaign. :)
Reply Quote
To the people who suggested the reserch blunder where they question how the dominion can't get this awesome tech upgrades while our guy with "horrable" lab facilitys can, I think its dominion lack of communication and supression. Think about it, During Toshes mission (new folsum?) all the add ons are tech reactions I think they are ALSO all tech reactions in the scrap mission. It might be they know about it but don't want to go about handing this away for some political reason to remain an iron grip on military production.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote

That's what bothers me with people advocating linear storytelling in videogames: the medium revolves around interactivity! Disregarding that strength would be a huge waste of potential.

Developers should aim at making their stories as open-ended as possible. So what if you can occasionally break sequence? Wings of Liberty may be a timid start, but playing it made me craving for more, in a good way! I can only hope Blizzard continues with non-linear campaigns, because that's where the money is.

Heck, after playing XCOM, I can only dream of a totally open-ended StarCraft campaign. :)

Blizzard should quit with the non-linear mission design. This isn't an RPG. My favorite moment was when you allied yourself with Valerian but didn't have media blitz finished. It's just like "yeah, sure, I'll team up with you, just give me a second and wait here while I go attack your homeworld & embarrass your father by using the funds you gave me".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]