StarCraft® II

How are you supposed to counter this?

I play zerg, and I enjoy it. Most of the time.
Then, every time I have a protoss enemy (Well, most of the time) the person hoards voids and carriers and swamps me, regardless of how many mutas, corruptors, hydras, spores, etc, I have, I'm always done for. How in the world are you supposed to counter that? I attack, they defend. They attack, I lose. Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
You should post a replay, otherwise you might not get much help. :-)
Reply Quote
I'll work on it, but everything about me is sad. I probably can't do it because I"m a low bronze. But I can have maxed food (With some ground defenses in case my scouts didn't see things right)and a bunch of mutas and corruptors. All I can say is the upgrades and approximated numbers.

ME
Corruptors: 11-15, sometimes 17-23
Upgrades: I usually settle at 2/1, sometimes I shoot for 3/3 IF vespine and mineral count is plentiful
Ground Units: 7-13
Upgrades: Considering I use hydras quite a bit, upgrades are usually 2/2, 3/3 if I decide to get a hive.
Hydralisks: 15-23
Hydras are my scouts, my main attackers, and my focus - fire - to - soften - the - enemy - up units. They're practically everything to me. I need to like other units.
Upgrades: Like I said, 2/2 or 3/3.
Mutalisks: 17-31
Yeah, I really waste a lot of time with them. I horde them, then upgrade. Or upgrade then hoard.
Upgrades: Like Corruptors, usually 2/1 or 2/2, but, like ground units, 3/3 if I have plentiful econ and I choose to get a hive.
Every now and then, I'll have a couple Brood Lords hanging around if I have a Hive and a Greater Spire.

Of course, The Voids and carriers are 3/3. Either my micro stinks worse than I thought or my enemy is just great with their micro.
Then again, it might be my crazy intense pessimism telling me I fail, and so I therefore fail.

EDIT
That's my usual anti air force if I know they're coming with that. Yeah, I'll have some surviving things from the opening game, or some roaches sitting around, and I might even have some extra drones doing who-knows-what.
Also, they tend to walk in with a mothership cloaking everything.
Edited by LoneZealot on 10/28/2012 1:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Infestors Corruptor.

You didn't scout it in time, that's probably why you lost.

So Scout, and if you see 2+ stargates, mass infestors corruptors and some lings.

When he tries to expand, a move ling corruptors dump infested terrans. If he tries to defend his Nexus, he dies, if he pulls back and sacks his Nexus, start pumping more corruptors and spores to cover for your infestors as they recover energy.
Reply Quote
Atack with 7 roaches ASAP.
Reply Quote
10/28/2012 02:22 AMPosted by VIPER
Atack with 7 roaches ASAP.

no that's a blind coin flip
Reply Quote
Thanks everyone for all your advice, I was able to wreck a bunch of voids with hydras and mutas using infested terran things as firewall and bait. It also worked as he had stalker backup with his air force. Speedlings work miracles with the additional attack upgrade.
Reply Quote
Welcome to wood league, guy.
Reply Quote
Don't worry about what you should be making. Just work on macro and you will be able to win.

Macro macro macro.

Inject, spend your larva, build drones, and you will have enough stuff and upgrades to beat him.
Reply Quote
honestly if someone manages to max out on carriers ur screwed no matter what composition u have well aside from maybe max corruptors
Reply Quote
Float an overlord or run a ling into his base every 5 minutes or so to see what kills is, if his army is almost all air then Hydra-Infestor is pretty much all you need, fungal the interceptors, the hydras do the rest, carriers are probably the only thing slower than hydras anyway.
Reply Quote
3base roach hydra allin after scouting it
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 01:08 PMPosted by RvNPlayerX
Float an overlord or run a ling into his base every 5 minutes or so to see what kills is, if his army is almost all air then Hydra-Infestor is pretty much all you need, fungal the interceptors, the hydras do the rest, carriers are probably the only thing slower than hydras anyway.

this. scout early, scout often.
Reply Quote
In the lower leagues, focus on scouting and macro. Scout his base early and often, hit your injects and saturate your mineral lines.

As for units to counter that army, infestors and corruptors are all you need. Lots of fungals, focus fire with your corruptors.
Reply Quote
At your level you could make only drones and win. In fact, at any level making drones is the key to wining.
Edited by tBz on 11/16/2012 9:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
in the words of whitera: "upgreyds make"

translated into english: so protoss air is really strong, and the counter to it, corruptors, are rarely upgraded by zerg. a protoss with a 2 upgrade advantage will win vs corruptors. you have to identify this and start upgrading your air weapons immediately, even throwing down a second spire. in addition u want some infestors on the ground to help with fungals and infested terrans, but the key is upgrades on your air.
Reply Quote
I don't know, it's a real problem - Hydra are best against Rays, Corruptors are best against Carriers - the more tech the better.

Either way, it's best to have some muta, their bounce attack wears the shields down faster, and if you mix air and ground, i.e., Hydra/Muta/Corruptors, it will split the Rays attention between air and ground, making it harder for them to focus fire.

For Rays I'd go heavy on Hydra, and Hydra+Muta is good against all but maxed out (tech+numbers) rays, but they're less effective against Carriers.

You can use the Corrupters corrupt ability to help you outmaneuver them.

But the absolute best thing is to mineral block like crazy. :)
Reply Quote
10/28/2012 12:46 AMPosted by LoneZealot
mutas, corruptors, hydras, spores,

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\.

"INFESTORS!!!" -screams...

Fungal, "throw eggs", fungal, fungal, fungal, burrow, go afk and watch carbots while waiting for them to send another fleet (aka more free money) at you...
Reply Quote
infestors for hard counter to voids and soft counter to carrier

corruptors for hard counter to carrier (focus fire)
Reply Quote
Upgreydes Make.
Infestors devour air, seriously, air likes to clump together, it makes the fungal growth happier than ever. Corruptors/Hydras are like the meat, the fungals are the potatoes, make the full course and don't wait till they have critical mass carriers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]