Hello all, i'm new here...

So, my friend introduced me to SC2 a couple weeks ago. He let me play some campaign and i thought it was pretty neat. I bought the game earlier this week and steamrolled the campaign on Brutal in 3-ish days. (with the help of PsyStarcraft/therealcromar, and some save-load magic)

So afterward, i decided to try some "laddering" as my friend called it. I was thinking that it'd be a cakewalk since Brutal difficulty wasnt too hard for me. I played one match in the practice league before skipping it, which may have been a mistake. (speed is set to slow or normal or something, which is terrible) Got placed in bronze. Made it to top bronze in a few games. (super impressive, i know) but i still cant figure out which race i want to play.

From what i'm seeing on the forums, infestors are a pretty sweet unit, and i really like being zerg since i spent the whole campaign just barely saving myself from them every couple of missions.

However, i have the most experience with Terran; but does that really matter since campaign and multiplayer Terran is so different? (no research stuff in multi, and some units are removed)

But i had the easiest time with the protoss missions. I also really like the warpgate idea; the way you can switch gears at a moments notice and pump out an entirely different unit from 5 warpgates at once, with a very short cool down.

So if someone could the take the time to give me the pros and cons of each race on this fine Sunday afternoon, that'd be awesome.

Also: sorry if posted this in the wrong section. General is for all things SC2-related though, so i think this should be alright.
Reply Quote
The campaign, even on brutal is nothing compared to laddering. Some people who are masters have trouble with brutal, other people who beat brutal cannot ladder worth anything. Right now, at your bronze level, no race has any power over the other. Just work on macro and learn how to spend your resources is the main key to victory.

Edit: Try going against the AI on hard/very hard to get a grasp on timings, pushes, build orders, other such things. It will give some basics on how each race works.
Edited by Xombie on 11/11/2012 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Spells are the key to victory. Whether you play Terran, Zerg or Protoss, Fungals + Storms + EMP/Snipe = GG
Reply Quote
i really really dont mean to be rude. But i would like to hear a diamond/masters viewpoint on each of the races. I will definitely remember your advice though, thanks for the input.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 12:41 PMPosted by TAJ
i really really dont mean to be rude. But i would like to hear a diamond/masters viewpoint on each of the races. I will definitely remember your advice though, thanks for the input.

Pulling the League Card already... Eh?
Just joking. Here we go:

Zerg: Very powerful macro-wise. The ability to hit the D key a ton is a must. Generally weaker earlier on, because Zerg relies on being able to "remax", in other words, lose an army and then instantly remake it due to larvae. Their main mechanic is Larvae Inject, which is a necessity, and a pain, to master. Infestors, as you said, are pretty damn good. But unit balance doesn't really play into games until Platinum... If not Diamond.
If you like swarming the opponent with absurd numbers of units, play Zerg.

Protoss: Polar opposite of Zerg. Expensive and robust units with slow production. Chronoboost is not horribly difficult to figure out, you just sort of use it when you can. Protoss is not heavily reliant on either mechanics or micro, but rather the ability to read the game and know what to build and when. If allowed to get maxed with maxed upgrades and AoE abilities/units (Colossi, Archon, High Templar), then they can steamroll pretty much anything. The difficulty, often, is getting to that point.

Terran: The "Middle Ground" race. Units are not as cheap as Zerg, nor as expensive as Protoss. Instead, each unit is incredibly specialized. It is designed to do one thing, and it does that thing very well (given proper micro), but it cant do much else. Their teching can occur as rapidly or as slowly as possible, and there are hundreds of different viable compositions. It's essentially the epitome of "versatile".
That being said, Terran is HEAVILY reliant on mechanics. There's no warpgate or larvae, you just build a building and make a unit out of it. Being able to constantly produce units is essentially the macro side. Micro wise, Terran is also very difficult. Splitting marines vs Banelings/infestors is a must to master, and there's a lot of multitasking involved.

Typically, Terran is considered the hardest to learn, but also has the highest skill ceiling. Protoss is relatively easy to learn, but gets exponentially more difficult in higher leagues. Zerg is a bit of both. Relatively easy to learn, and relatively easy to master.

Vocabulary:
Micro = Individual unit control. How I can use each and every unit to make them as effective as possible.
Macro = Overall game. Producing units and workers and using macro mechanics (Inject, MULE and Chronoboost).
Mechanics = Raw button pressing. Knowing how, when and in what order to do so. Inject is very mechanics intensive, for example.

Any other questions?
Reply Quote
For beginners:

Z is the hardest, then P then T.

mid level of play:

Z is hardest then T then P, maybe Z then P then T

Once you get to higher levels of play:

Z is easiest, then P then T.

This is because Z is so different from the other races or any other RTS race, most beginners have found them to be the most difficult, stats on sc2ranks have shown this.

T is the eaisest at lowest levels because stimmed marines and marauders are deadly to less skilled plyaers, but they are very easily dealt with once you go up in the leagues

T is the hardest at higher levels because you need great multitasking and micromanagement jsut to stay alive, while zerg is the easiest once you get used to their game mechanics, also they're current overpowered thanks to Infestors.

P is about the same difficulty throughout since they're all about getting a huge ball of units and doing an attack, but this slowly becomes more difficult as you go up the leagues. You will also have a hard early game with P due to the heavily reliance on forcefield and the fact that gateway (zealot stalker) units are weaker than Z or T counterparts.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 01:08 PMPosted by IndigO
Any other questions?

lol i think that about covers it. Thank you!
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
11/11/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Xombie
The campaign, even on brutal is nothing compared to laddering.

It's the difference between repetition and on-the-fly execution and strategizing. If I could go back in time and redo a game I just lost, I could win almost every time. That's the campaign.
Reply Quote
okay newbie huh?

1. everything you learned form single player is useless.
2. Watch day9, apollo bronze, Filter SC, Terranup2base,
3. Post replays to get help
4. Everything is Over Powerful when you do not know how to deal with it, ask for help do not say it needs to change.
5. If you win it is not always form doing the right thing, you just did less wrong then the other person.
6. Get a build order and tinker with it.
7. Watch your replays to learn how to do better at what you are trying. Also think of how you could have defended or won a game you lost.

Advice for when actually playing
1. Make workers, always make workers
2. Work on not supply blocking yourself
3. be aggressive, too many play sim city and attack 45 minutes in
4. expand before you mine out your main base
5. Upgrades are good, get them
6. As everything else gets easier start working on scouting the other player.
Reply Quote
The campaign, even on brutal is nothing compared to laddering. .
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 12:39 PMPosted by VIPER
Spells are the key to victory. Whether you play Terran, Zerg or Protoss, Fungals + Storms + EMP/Snipe = GG

Spells are not the answer in bronze, that's too micro intensive at that level.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 02:09 PMPosted by HeReTiC

Diamond player here. Xombie's advice is sound, so I recommend that you step off your bronze pedestal and take it. There's nothing that I, as a diamond player, can explain that someone in gold or platinum can't to a bronze player like yourself other than more detailed things that you likely wouldn't understand.

You are the lowest of the low and you can learn something from absolutely anyone.

bronze pedestal? what? I wanted a general overview of the races from an experienced player. There is nothing wrong with that. I was polite and there is no reason to bash me. kthxbai
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 04:23 PMPosted by HeReTiC
I was polite

Beginning a rude statement with "I'm not trying to be rude, but..." does not make you polite.

i went on to tell them i would remember their advice and thanked them. that does make it polite. Read all of my posts, thanks.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 04:27 PMPosted by TAJ

Beginning a rude statement with "I'm not trying to be rude, but..." does not make you polite.

i went on to tell them i would remember their advice and thanked them. that does make it polite. Read all of my posts, thanks.

Bronze noob, Just kidding. See I am polite too.

I would not dismiss advice from anyone unless they have been proven troll. There are master players out there that seem to be consumed with bias and bad advice.
Reply Quote
Bronze noob, Just kidding. See I am polite too.
yeah that's totally fine IMO.

11/11/2012 04:32 PMPosted by ProdofVoid
I would not dismiss advice from anyone
nor would i. I told them i would remember their advice.

Why do people have such an aversion to reading? :(
Reply Quote
HeReTiC is a troll, he just likes to cause problems and annoy people, All TAJ wanted was a viewpoint from a higher level player, is that really so bad?
Reply Quote
This is why the community has such trouble growing, -.- Its like his 1st post and everyone already jumped down his throat for a misunderstanding..
Reply Quote
It's fine. It's prolly just because i'm new.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]