StarCraft® II

How effective is Baneling drops

against terran army?

I know it's pretty good vs toss and long time ago fruitdealer did it a lot vs terran.

But it seems never used by anyone anymore
Edited by SeriusBizNis on 11/12/2012 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
Not really that great against Marine Tank, as marines make the overlords virtually evaporate.

But dropping on mech is really strong. Roaches are probably better than banelings though.
Reply Quote
BANE RAIN!
Reply Quote
H"ow effective *ARE* baneling drops."

Alternatively,

"How effective is a baneling drop."

If you're trying to ask:

"How effective is a baneling in drops."

Then that is a null question because the same baneling will not survive beyond one drop.
Edited by Toortanga on 11/12/2012 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
against terran army?

I know it's pretty good vs toss and long time ago fruitdealer did it a lot vs terran.

But it seems never used by anyone anymore

Not as effective because marines are far better at kiting than Stalkers imo
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HeavyFresh
Not really that great against Marine Tank, as marines make the overlords virtually evaporate.

Couldn't you attack the marines with mutas so that the marines will be distracted while banelings rain down on them?
Reply Quote

Couldn't you attack the marines with mutas so that the marines will be distracted while banelings rain down on them?

Except now you lose expensive mutas instead of cheap overlords which is even worse.
Edited by Toortanga on 11/12/2012 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just not agaisnt Terrans
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 10:59 AMPosted by SeriusBizNis

Sacrificing mutas to kill marines is not a good trade.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Toortanga
Except now you lose expensive mutas instead of cheap overlords which is even worse.

I don't know. This might be a bit hard to pull off, but I think you can micro so that the overlords drop the banelings before you lose substantial number of mutas. Because terran has to either pick overlords or mutas to kill, if they choose wrong in the wrong time they could end up losing the marines. And Siege Tanks won't be able to help out as much because the banelings are being dropped from the sky.

But then again, this sounds really micro intensive. It would be cool to see it pulled off though
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 11:27 AMPosted by SeriusBizNis

I don't know. This might be a bit hard to pull off, but I think you can micro so that the overlords drop the banelings before you lose substantial number of mutas. Because terran has to either pick overlords or mutas to kill, if they choose wrong in the wrong time they could end up losing the marines. And Siege Tanks won't be able to help out as much because the banelings are being dropped from the sky.

But then again, this sounds really micro intensive. It would be cool to see it pulled off though

You are supposed to surround AND have banelings on the ground forcing the terran to run away. If he stops to shoot the overlords, he dies to the banes on the ground and vice versa.

I think the main reason is it is two upgrades that really have limited use and are quite a commitment to get.
Reply Quote

I still think that just sending more empty overlords is a better idea. Then you don't need a spire or gas heavy decoys.
Edited by Toortanga on 11/12/2012 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Great if you can pull it off. Just takes tons of micro and good timings. Even when Dimaga pulls it out it doesn't always win for him.
Reply Quote
wasnt there a patch that indirectly nerfed it some time ago? had something to do with not letting them unload if there wasnt space beneath the overlord, vs it used to push units out of the way to unload.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Kelthar
wasnt there a patch that indirectly nerfed it some time ago? had something to do with not letting them unload if there wasnt space beneath the overlord, vs it used to push units out of the way to unload.

Hmmm sounds like it is worth investigating...
Reply Quote
Not very. Marines can split and just kill the overlords super fast. Roaches on mech also kind of suck unless the army is mostly tanks. With even a few thors and SCVs, the roaches will die before getting anything done. Abusing mobility is a much better choice against mech play.
Reply Quote
bane rain is ftw.

only if you can micro it and get a good connection.

else it is !@#$.

so basically, it's bad if you're bad. :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]