StarCraft® II

Mech seems OP vs Zerg

Took on two armies of Roaches/Infestors with Thors/Hellions/Tanks. Came out on top with 3 Thors left, couldn't believe it. It was a two pronged attack too and some of my tanks were out of position.

Wouldn't dream of doing it with Protoss....I think there is no way to counter this as Zerg except with gg lords and winfestors.
Reply Quote
1v1 or team game?

Isn't early/midgame vulnerability a big weakness of mech, not its pure steamrolling power at the end?
Edited by blitz on 11/12/2012 5:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
Please let us not fall back into the whole, "this one or two games determines the entire state of balance in sc2" thing again
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 05:52 PMPosted by poochie
winfestors.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 05:55 PMPosted by zappy
Please let us not fall back into the whole, "this one or two games determines the entire state of balance in sc2" thing again

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7006347229
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 05:56 PMPosted by VIPER

viper, i already have a headache that has yet to leave me due to my activities last night, i'm hoping for simplicity and a lack of hidden trolling related motives.
Reply Quote
wait.

you have no 1v1s played...

Is this team games?

if so, then LOL.
Reply Quote
It's not. You just get a bunch of brood lords and infestors. A-move the broods, fungal the vikings and spam infested Terrans.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 05:54 PMPosted by blitz
Isn't early/midgame vulnerability a big weakness of mech, not its pure steamrolling power at the end?

In early game, a meching terran is really weak compared to a bio terran because they have to rely on unupgraded marines with some hellion support to defend any pushes from Zerg. A roach push during the time period which terran has no tank support and still building infrastructure can be a GG.

After securing a 3rd and increasing gas production, mech's strength really start to shine. Zerg is also in an awkward transitioning period from lair to hive tech, relying on a high ling/roach or even muta and infestor (if there are infestors, they're in very low numbers) to defend against a mech army of doom. By camping outside the zerg's base and pushing in using the stopping power of tanks, a terran can choke off a zerg and set up for a game-winning push. Unofrtunately, since mech armies are expensive and slow, Terran can only afford to push out 2-3 times in the midgame. Flanks and counterattacks on infrastructure can still be annoying, but you don't want to baserace a terran.

During lategame, Zerg starts to get potent units like BLs and a high infestor count. BLs screw over mech because they make tanks irrelevant and useless supply, while IT's DPS minces a mech army. Start viking production too late and it's usually GG for terran, not much he can get back at.

No matter how want to engage a seiged mech position, it's always gonna end up ugly for you, especially using low-tier units like roaches and lings.

However, it's team games, so a lot of what I just said is irrelevant
Reply Quote
Its about to get a major buff in HotS with Battle Hellions. Prepare your !@#$.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Kanuck
Its about to get a major buff in HotS with Battle Hellions. Prepare your !@#$.
I'd love to, but blizzard keeps trolling me about beta keys.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 05:52 PMPosted by poochie
I think there is no way to counter this as Zerg except with gg lords and winfestors.

so let me get this straight....

IT CAN NOT BE COUNTERED!!!!!........

without using 2 readily available units that the zerg already has.

ok then
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]