StarCraft® II

Did the campaign get better as MP was tuned?

Sure this has come up a lot, but now that we have a release date I'm quite curious to know. I largely play SC2 for the story, and waiting two and a half years for the sequel has been a tough slog, especially since the story was revealed to be finished quite some time ago.

So my question is pretty simple: did the story sit and gather dust while multiplayer was tuned, or did they continue to add content? Is it still only 14 missions long? I know e-sports is the future of the franchise, but I've always played it for the single player, and I'm kind of curious to know if it is still relevant.
Reply Quote
Sure this has come up a lot, but now that we have a release date I'm quite curious to know. I largely play SC2 for the story, and waiting two and a half years for the sequel has been a tough slog, especially since the story was revealed to be finished quite some time ago.

So my question is pretty simple: did the story sit and gather dust while multiplayer was tuned, or did they continue to add content? Is it still only 14 missions long? I know e-sports is the future of the franchise, but I've always played it for the single player, and I'm kind of curious to know if it is still relevant.

You're not the only one who play it for the storyline. I'm unsure in terms if the story was finished some time as you say. At MLG in Jun 2012, it was said that the single player was finished, but then a month later some of the voice actors got called back into the studios for more dialogue for the campaign.

My gut feeling is the single player only finished around August.

And Blizzard said it'll be about 20 missions long. We still don't know much, though if I recall correctly back in the summer interviews, they had said there will be at least 1 mission where you play as a non-Zerg faction.
Reply Quote
Plus, story finished =/= levels finished.

they could have the entire script for the story down but that does not mean that they have made it.
Reply Quote
Plus, story finished =/= levels finished.

they could have the entire script for the story down but that does not mean that they have made it.

Please, by the time of July 2012, it was said that the game was 99% complete, all that was left was the multiplayer unit tweaking and balancing.

That should have automatically meant that the single player was done, and that would mean all the missions were also done.
Reply Quote
So what exactly is the point here? That single player campaign should be released before multiplayer balancing is finished? That would piss off the majority of the SC2 playerbase to satisfy a few impatient customers. Don't think Bliz is gonna do that.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Phenotype
So what exactly is the point here? That single player campaign should be released before multiplayer balancing is finished? That would piss off the majority of the SC2 playerbase to satisfy a few impatient customers. Don't think Bliz is gonna do that.

Of course not, but I think people had thought of this because some were getting a bit tired of every time they asked for a release date, the response is always "soon". Eventually that answer would lose weight.
Reply Quote
If anything the campaign has probably been shortened by 1-2 hours compared to WoL.

But it's best that they say "soon". When you set a date and you fail to give it at said date. You get a lot of !@#$ than just saying "soon".

That way well be, but look at it this way.

Let's go to March 2013, and HotS is out now. 6 months later, people are starting to ask if work has begun on LotV.

Now let's say 4 years later, it's March 2017, and when asked a release date, the response is still "soon". Do you really think after 4 years of waiting you can still expect the "soonish" answer to hold up?
Reply Quote
I think what he's trying to say is:
Do changes in MP affect the campaign, as in when the Tempest was changed from a 10 range + 14 to 15 range flat, did the campaign stay the same?
Reply Quote
Do changes in MP affect the campaign, as in when the Tempest was changed from a 10 range + 14 to 15 range flat, did the campaign stay the same?

Good question, I'm unsure about that. I mean the campaign was finished by July 2012, before the beta even came out. Now with all the balance changes they've done, maybe that's why the game release has to be put all the way into March so that they could modify the campaign with the appropriate changes.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 11:59 AMPosted by ragnarok
You're not the only one who play it for the storyline. I'm unsure in terms if the story was finished some time as you say. At MLG in Jun 2012, it was said that the single player was finished, but then a month later some of the voice actors got called back into the studios for more dialogue for the campaign.

Who said it was for the campaign?

Blizzard is also working on Blizzard All-Stars, which is said to feature unique dialogue for all playable characters, including some from StarCraft.

Probably not. Most of the MP balance changes in WoL didn't make their way into the campaign.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 11/22/2012 5:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well that's true. I mean take the Mothership for example.

In "Maw of the Void" mission, the Tal'darim Mothership could teleport to any finished Protoss building. That was one of the characteristics the Mothership had, but it was removed when WoL came out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]