StarCraft® II

Unsieged Tanks v roaches

Put simply, why don't terrans use a few unsieged tanks in early mech situations versus zerg's mid game roach compositions? I feel that a few roach countering units mixed in with the hellions would help with the supply efficiency and make a more intimidating force then the usual mech plays with sieged tanks and hellions. I ask this because I just saw a Mech game where Demuslim tried playing mech versus a zerg with little to no siege tanks and he complained throughout about how he was out-playing the zerg but having the hardest time winning the game (he went hellion banshee thor)
Reply Quote
I use tanks all the time, unsieged tanks are bad vs roaches though, can be decent vs ultras if you are going marine tank. tbh I dont use that many thors in my mech play, I only get them for early muta then I focus on tanks ravens and vikings
Reply Quote
I know they're bad en masse versus roaches overall, but wouldn't a few unsieged tanks be better than the zerg achieving better positioning by pouring through a hellion line?

11/18/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Zerglor
tbh I dont use that many thors in my mech play, I only get them for early muta then I focus on tanks ravens and vikings

^^^That's what I'd expect a normal terran to do. Thors are only great versus Muta and ultras. Technically a couple wouldn't hurt but that's it.
Reply Quote
I know they're bad en masse versus roaches overall, but wouldn't a few unsieged tanks be better than the zerg achieving better positioning by pouring through a hellion line?

tbh I dont use that many thors in my mech play, I only get them for early muta then I focus on tanks ravens and vikings

^^^That's what I'd expect a normal terran to do. Thors are only great versus Muta and ultras. Technically a couple wouldn't hurt but that's it.

well I usually get a tank or two early on if I need to, but early banshees can also help
Edited by Zerglor on 11/18/2012 6:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
Marauders are better than unsiegeed tanks, and cheaper - not too bad after a couple of upgrades, but using some bio to block for them is a good idea.

I've mixed Reapers in with my ground before, a bit unorthodox, but that grenade attack can add quite a bit of oomph, they're cheaper than tanks too, and can outrun roaches, though slow to build.
Reply Quote
I played a game where I had about 12 ultralisks vs 15 or so tanks and my ultras all died while just putting most of the tanks in the red and killing about 4, so I think unseiged tanks are better then seiged tanks vs ultras and armored units alike when thors are not there to tank damage from the tanks in seige mode, so be cautious when making ultras vs mass tanks.
Reply Quote
unsieged tanks are good, and they do well against roaches, until you've got time to siege them up and they do even better......and marauders are cheaper.....when the scale starts to get bigger.....siege mode and marauders are better options, even if unsieged tanks are initially better.
Reply Quote

once 3/3 comes out thors 2 shot roachs there not amazing but not terrible by any means vs roachs.
Reply Quote

once 3/3 comes out thors 2 shot roachs there not amazing but not terrible by any means vs roachs.

yes but 3/3 tanks vs roaches are even better because of splash
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]