StarCraft® II

Infestor nerf confirmed (Chinese interview)

Detailed patchnotes on balance map revealed by rock (aka, Dustin, or in Chinese, Mr/Brother Bald) during an interview with the Chinese press at BWC Finals, Shanghai
http://games.sina.com.cn/j/z/sc2/2012-11-17/1942470071.shtml

According to Rock:
WOL balance map will see:
Mothership is now immune to infestor neural parasite - confirmed
Any psionic units(high Templar, ghost, queen, infestor) will be immune to neural parasite
Other changes possible

HoTs balance map will see:
Fungal will be projectile instead of instant cast - confirmed
Other changes possible

If they're happy about the changes, all changes that they're happy about regardless where they were being tested (WOL, or HOTS balance maps) will be patched.

*Theyre avoiding "direct" nerfs to fungal, but looking at indirect options. Other options being seriously considered are:
Carrier interceptors immune to fungal
Infestor movement speed decrease

Edit: corrected the mistake that it was psionic units not units with energy.
Side note: Google translate is bad...and "throw egg" (like literally throw egg) is apparently the nickname for IT in Chinese, sort of like the beach ball thing day9 named some time ago.

Personally, I'd see all three plans being implemented in addition to interceptors being immune to fungal.
I'd also like to see buffs to raven and carriers. Blizzard has said carriers are underpowered since the beginning of the game yet nothing was done to address it. Raven needs more love.
ITs need some slight adjustment, energy cost/no longer benefit from upgrade would be nice.

If all those are implement, a direct hammer nerf to say fungal damage wouldn't be necessary I think.
Edited by Tommy on 11/17/2012 3:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Indeed.
Reply Quote
lol, i used google translate and must have accidentally hit "mock this language" instead of translate it
Reply Quote
I don't agree with the projectile. Its going to make newer players almost always miss and pro players still hit alot.
Reply Quote
If they go with every single small indirect nerf, it's a blow to infestors
Reply Quote

*Theyre avoiding "direct" nerfs to fungal, but looking at indirect options. Other options being seriously considered are:
Carrier interceptors immune to fungal
Infestor movement speed decrease

Other big nerfs unlikely
Edit: added second patch note to wol balance map

OP that is not what he said at all about infestors
he said,
Infestor, we will in the next to make a balance test map on the Wings of Liberty on the server, psionic units the Infestor spirit of the immune control. In the Heart of the Swarm testing service, we will give Fungal Growth to join a trajectory like as 1.3 test service.
Reply Quote
I love how they nerf it in PvZ but do absolutely nothing about infestors in TvZ where they're the biggest problem.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 10:00 AMPosted by redstar
I love how they nerf it in PvZ but do absolutely nothing about infestors in TvZ where they're the biggest problem.

Well.. NP won't be able to take over Thors. I guess that's sorta a plus. I mean. They could just NP a Siege Tank and do more damage. But who knows. Maybe it'll make a difference in a game or two :/
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Tommy
Mothership is now immune to infestor neural parasite - confirmed

This is such a horrible change. Mothership should be NPable but Zerg player should not be able to use its abilities. Basically delay tactic and the use of cloak.

As for fungal, just put diminishing return on it. Give it WoW Stun treatment.
Reply Quote
@Sensaerrori, That the other part is from another conversation, I google translated both but only saved one.
Reply Quote
The real question is "How fast does the projectile-fungal move?" If it moves as quickly as, say, a stalker shot, it won't be a big deal.
Reply Quote
I think they should've looked at IT, rather than NP. As someone else said, you don't mass infestors to mass chain fungal/Neural. You make them for the mass IT.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Hunta
I don't agree with the projectile. Its going to make newer players almost always miss and pro players still hit alot.

It is not like only the skill in landing a fungal becomes greater with a higher league. Skill in dodging the projectile will also go up so Pros will probably be able to dodge them. Making the skill ceiling higher on both sides sounds like a good thing to me. Now Infestors don't just immediately make bio play worthless. No counter should just shut down certain tech paths if you have the micro to minimize the damage.
Reply Quote
Blizzard pleading Terrans to use moar ravens
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 10:02 AMPosted by PanZxJassie

Well.. NP won't be able to take over Thors. I guess that's sorta a plus. I mean. They could just NP a Siege Tank and do more damage. But who knows. Maybe it'll make a difference in a game or two :/

Other version of the translation said they can't NP psionic units only. Thors aren't psionic.
Reply Quote
you mean I can't NP thors and make them dance soon....damn I better do that quick.
Reply Quote
I think it is the point that a projectile can be negated by PDD?
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 10:15 AMPosted by redstar

Other version of the translation said they can't NP psionic units only. Thors aren't psionic.

Aw. That's disappointing. The only Psionic we have is freaking Ghosts. Who NPs Ghosts? What are they gonna do? EMP our Thors so we can't use the 250mm Cannons that we NEVER research -_- ?
Reply Quote
Here is the interview of Dustin Browder & Michael Morhaime in BWC China.

Q: You said the new units in HOTS are pretty good now, and you are going to make some change to some old units. Do you have any plans about changing the old units in WOL? I'm interested about raven, void ray, carrier, especially infestor.

A: I can't promise what is going to be changed. In next few weeks we will go through the units in WOL and decide either just adjust them or redesign them. For example, raven's seeker missile.

Second example is Thor's 250mm Cannons, very few players use it. So HOTS is a good chance for us, and we may redesign it to make more players use 250mm cannon.
For void ray, do you mean it's too weak? However many people complains it's too strong before last patch. I want to do something crazy to void ray, but we know nothing about how to do it now. We may try something before Christmas.

From my personal point of view, I expect redesign. So I would encourage my team to do some revolutionary change to increase the diversity of strategies.

Q : You forgot the infestor(LOL).

A: Oh, I forgot it. But no matter, I will tell you. We are going to make a balance test map on WOL realms. On this map, Psionic units will be immune to Neural Parasite. On HOTS BETA, we are going to add a projectile back to Fungal Growth, just like we did in patch 1.3 PTR.
(Psionic units, include mothership, high templar, ghost, infestor, queen and archon. MC used to complain about mothership can be mind controled by infestors, and this problem may be solved as he wish.)

Q: What builds do you prefer?

A: I use random, so I know how to use every race. I know almost all builds (including all-ins) of three races.
I'm very good in first 10 to 15 minutes--as good as professional players. But as the game goes on, I become weaker and weaker, especially after reaching 200 supply.

Q. After the interviewer asked the infestor question, Michael Morhaime asks Dustin Browder: "what about infested terran?"

A. Dustin Browder:"Infested Terran is very hard to balance. We need time to consider it."

Michael Morhaime also announced that if you purchased the non-subscription pack of SC2 on Chinese server, you can upgrade to HOTS for free when it releases.
Edited by Larse on 11/17/2012 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]