StarCraft® II

Tale of a SC2 modder

A sad read on what is happening, not by me but I thought it was worth reading.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/13ffky/the_tale_of_a_starcraft_2_modder/

Then Destiny's feelings on whats happening too, he really gets the UMS side of this game down, like he knows our pain:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=375992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7rH1C964uA&feature=g-u-u
Reply Quote
That's FockeWulf. Just so if anyone's already familiar with what he's said... you know what he's saying.
Reply Quote
I like Focke, but he just went about things the wrong way.

This subject has already been discussed to death (each time getting locked), and I think it would be wise if no more posts were adding to this thread, as Reddit is a better venue for people to discuss such things rather than the UMS Forum.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Dogmai
as Reddit is a better venue for people to discuss such things rather than the UMS Forum.

You can count on the problems never addressed if you confine talk of them to only random sub sites of a larger site.

ESVDiamond also has had horrific experiences with it all:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/13ffky/the_tale_of_a_starcraft_2_modder/c73k9lw

A small selection: "I provide the same list basically every time, and so far of the 50+ issues I have altered them of, 1 single one has made it to public, neutral depots (made as a new unit)."

If there is no discussion of what is bad with the editor then UMS will always be in horrible shape.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
You can count on the problems never addressed if you confine talk of them to only random sub sites of a larger site.

They've been thoroughly discussed here (and in the Mapster channel with the Blizzard Devs, and on SC2mapster) trust me. The very events of this post took place mainly on here. We knew pretty much the whole story before he wrote it, and we read what he wrote after he wrote it long before it was posted to Reddit.
Reply Quote
It just baffles me how lethargic the SC2 team is with the other half of the game and they don't even want to acknowledge it. Their opacity seems to be non-existent.

I really want to see a Dev Watercooler that actually talks about the UMS side for once.
Reply Quote
Since Blizzard seems to still care about the Marketplace, it's possible they might only give true support only when premium maps hits in.

Only thing I hope is they won't be overbiased in favor of premium map makers and ditch the non-premium ones just because they aren't immediate money.
Edited by Honejasi on 11/19/2012 7:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
It just baffles me how lethargic the SC2 team is with the other half of the game and they don't even want to acknowledge it. Their opacity seems to be non-existent.

I really want to see a Dev Watercooler that actually talks about the UMS side for once.

It does seem like Blizzard was pretty disappointed they missed out on owning DoTA, so they made SC2 a closed system, but they did nothing to encourage the next DoTA coming about after that. They just hoped it would magically spring. Maybe they're just punishing the custom gamers for not owning DoTA.

However it does seem to be viewed to a degree that custom games don't really drive any sales - you can't exactly advertise custom games on a box. But DoTA had such incredibly strong word of mouth that it drove plenty of sales. I wish I knew what was going on when BNet 2.0 was being developed, what the thought process behind it was, because we can only speculate without any real evidence.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 04:50 PMPosted by EagleMan
I wish I knew what was going on when BNet 2.0 was being developed, what the thought process behind it was, because we can only speculate without any real evidence.

If I have to make some random guesses since we probably won't get 100% accepted evidence:

1) With the popularity system, maybe they had an oversimplification of too many WC3 DotA = 1 spot would be good while plain forgetting the good points of the sc1/wc3 map lists.

2) They possibly aimed for premium maps relatively early on which the popularity system many times encourage such mentality (from a $ point of view). However, it's possible they dramatically underestimated the work of deals and such for one buyer to be able to buy a premium map from any country to another country's currency.

I remember Diablo 3 taking at least some weeks to get the money auction house up instead of being already usable on day 1.

Anyway, taking too long with no solid news means that money-oriented mapmakers have no solid grounds to make a SC2 map with lots of investment and hope for a return. Worse, everything seems to aim that it could be a total disaster even on the premium side.
Edited by Honejasi on 11/20/2012 7:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
WC3 has a more robust custom map community than SC2. It just does!

If developers could push out some standardized sandbox concepts it would make things much better. But that would enable too many good ideas, simple game-play, and fun experiences.

I think there is alot of merit in the statement regarding punishment for dota. Not in a direct way, but in a preventative way, like they don't want an idea like that jumping off their platform again without their protections in place.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]