StarCraft® II

Help choosing a race

I cannot decide, I've tried Protoss I like them but they seem complicated, then I tried Zerg which are okay but very "mainstream" also getting a nerf, and then everyone is talking down to Terran so I dont even wanna give them a go.

Any advice would be lovely, also could you say why you choose your race.
Edited by Brightside on 11/17/2012 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Terran all the way, the macro mechanics are simple so its easy to get used to but as you get higher up the tougher it gets.

Though Protoss is also pretty good to start out with
Reply Quote
Protoss is for cool people.

in all seriousness, i chose protoss because thats what i played in BW, and i liked it then because of the idea of big meaty units brute forcing everything in their path.
Reply Quote
Random

Choices are hard, buttons are fun.
Reply Quote
whatever you feel confortable with.

went through capaign/played other RTS, go with terran because their macro is very standard. Micro can be very active with harass or you can do slow pushes.

Protoss is close to standard macro but has front load production so it is more of managing a burst of army rather than slowly build it up. Micro is is harassing and using alot of spells, so accuracy is very important.

Zerg is a heavy macro oriented race. You manage larvae rates and mass units when you see an attack/plan for their attacks/plan to attack. Micro you stay active on the map with fast units and counter attack, the micro of your army is probably least demanding in most situations.
Reply Quote
@gerdro nice response still trying to decide, I always have a hard time choosing a class or for this game race in every game I play.
Reply Quote
Where are all these "new" people coming from all of a sudden asking what race to play?
Is this some expensive research project to see what people really think of the game?

You should make a thread about that.
Reply Quote
Where are all these "new" people coming from all of a sudden asking what race to play? Is this some expensive research project to see what people really think of the game?

amazingly enough, not everybody in the world owns SC2 yet.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Brightside
@gerdro nice response still trying to decide, I always have a hard time choosing a class or for this game race in every game I play.

I always go with the tankiest stuff in games. thats my way :D
Reply Quote
Anyone else have any input?
Reply Quote
protoss isnt actually all that complicated. its not easy, but it isnt complicated. Protoss relies on precision and spellcasters rather than raw APM.
Reply Quote
Play Protoss if you want expenisve units that bonk the windu out of opponents

Play Zerg if you want to overrun your enemy with endless waves of cheap units

Play Terran if you want to adapt to any situation

Sorry about the single "P" that I posted earlier, some kinda keyboard mistype or glitch
Edited by EugeneTwo on 11/17/2012 6:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lots of useful information, I like both Protoss and Zerg Im not a fan of Terran because everyone was saying its so bad.. So I don't wanna try it but then I hear from others you can get to plat easy with Terran so I'm kinda confused.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Brightside
Lots of useful information, I like both Protoss and Zerg Im not a fan of Terran because everyone was saying its so bad.. So I don't wanna try it but then I hear from others you can get to plat easy with Terran so I'm kinda confused.

mostly its just butthurt terrans whining like usual. terran is in a bit of a metagame ditch right now, but theres nothing stopping most from winning except themselves. Forum goers are quite eager to blame everything besides themselves for their losses.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Brightside

Let me example something to you, 9 out of 10 posters on this forum with complain about one race or the other. They will make one race sound better than the other. Realistically all races are balanced and easy enough that by you learn how to play you will get better. Each race has its advantages and disadvantages.

Right now you should not worry so much about picking the right race. You should figure out any race and learn the basics of the game. Later on you change to something that you prefer. Terran is easier to pick up because campaign is based on play Terran. In HotS you get to play Zerg in the campaign.

I started with Terran and then changed to Protoss. I prefer the warp in mechanic over regular manufacturing. Although Protoss has some regular manufacturing. For Zerg I do not like that larva mechanic. Basically start playing and then play what feels better. If you like all 3 and they all feel natural to you, play random.
Reply Quote
Okay I played a few more games, for Zerg the Overlords are kinda annoying I don't really know what to do with them all.

I should probably try Terran just incase I like it, also play Protoss a little more aswell.
Reply Quote

You should make a thread about that.

Ok Potatolisk..............

You have not earned the right to call anyone other than me PotatoLiSK.

1. Find a die
2. Label it for the races, 1-2 = Terran, 3-4 = Protoss, 5-6 = Zerg.
3. Roll the die
4. Your mind will automatically choose what side(s) it wants to win. Pick this race
5. If that didn't work, go Random.

That's how you choose a race.
Reply Quote
Interesting idea, not sure if that would work with me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]