StarCraft® II

Q&A for Lower League Players(1Year,15 Weeks)

Here we go again.

Ask away and someone will get to it eventually. Feel free to bump the thread if your question gets buried or forgotten. :)
Edited by Blueduck on 11/26/2012 6:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
NO1 EVER ASKS QUESTIONS ANYMORE :(

for some reason
Reply Quote
NO1 EVER ASKS QUESTIONS ANYMORE :(

for some reason

Hello Kitty.

This is our resident GM everyone.

In regards to your point, honestly it comes and it goes. We have some weeks where we break 3 pages or more. Some weeks we only have a page.

It does seem to be a bit slower recently but that is mostly likely people postponing their play due to the expansion coming out.

Thanks for contributing by the way. :)
Reply Quote
How to harass with toss?

It feels like a full warp prism is always a very hefty investment, even more so if I use the warp prism to warp in more units when harassing (since I won't be able to get said units out again). How do I balance making an army and making units for harassment?
Reply Quote
Need lots of help, but only things I can think of specifically are:
Best way to bust through Terran base defense? Normally they have it blocked off, with bunker and siege tanks.

I also seem to have issues with zerg- too many roaches / lings that seem to give me major issues. I will admit I am horrible at FFs, I really need to get better at using those.
Edited by DocSlowMo on 11/27/2012 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Can I contribute to these threads? =)) No, really. My highest finish is like, MID-Diamond. (BTW, I ladder on SEA.)
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 12:01 AMPosted by Park
Can I contribute to these threads? =)) No, really. My highest finish is like, MID-Diamond. (BTW, I ladder on SEA.)

I finished in top 25 Diamond last season! ...Although I'm back in Platinum because I haven't really been playing much lately :(

My question is for the Masters players. What is the biggest difference between Diamond and Masters, and how does one bridge that gap?
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 12:23 AMPosted by EthanKairos

I finished in top 25 Diamond last season! ...Although I'm back in Platinum because I haven't really been playing much lately :(

My question is for the Masters players. What is the biggest difference between Diamond and Masters, and how does one bridge that gap?

Refining your play. The easiest way is to choose a bo for each match up that can win against most everything. From there on out its just working on your mechanics in order to make sure your build is tighter, your reading the correct information, and your response to the things people throw at you are good as well. I'd also say masters player are better at thinking on the fly as well.
Reply Quote
How to harass with toss?

It feels like a full warp prism is always a very hefty investment, even more so if I use the warp prism to warp in more units when harassing (since I won't be able to get said units out again). How do I balance making an army and making units for harassment?

phoenix vs zerg/toss dts vs all 3 races, you need to just harass everywhere, attack at like 3 different locations
Reply Quote
How does the system calculate league promotions? Is it based on MMR or do you just have to generally win more than 50% of your games for a few days' play?

In the highest leagues, does every Toss player make certain to build a Robo Facility by 8-10 minutes, thus securing access to their sole mobile detector? I imagine it's a massive waste of resources to have to guard every inch of every base with at least one canon, and many people I've talked to don't like using static defences period and I understand why. However, this limits you to Observers only for dealing with cloaked units, many of whom are capable of racking up a crippling number of worker kills within seconds if not caught in time.
Reply Quote
Here's a guide on the ladder and league promotions
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=195273

Short version: It's based on MMR and it will make you have a stable mmr before promoting you (with the exception of changes in ladder season where it places you at whatever your current MMR is)

does every Toss player make certain to build a Robo Facility by 8-10 minutes, thus securing access to their sole mobile detector

PvP everyone gets a robo and observer by about 7 minutes or 7:30 (minus scouting a non-dt build in which it can be heavily delayed or skipped).

PvZ no. You can play various strategies without really needing observers for a long time. Most people secure their bases with cannons anyway and zerg only has burrowed units that require detection.

PvT no. You need it in the lategame to deal cloaked ghosts, and it helps with watching for drops but a lot of zealot/archon/templar builds heavily delay a robo or never need it.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 10:06 AMPosted by wraithcube
PvT no. You need it in the lategame to deal cloaked ghosts, and it helps with watching for drops but a lot of zealot/archon/templar builds heavily delay a robo or never need it

Unless the Terran goes for Banshees early on, in which case you are pretty much forced to get a Robo or a Forge.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 07:00 PMPosted by EthanKairos
Unless the Terran goes for Banshees early on, in which case you are pretty much forced to get a Robo or a Forge.

Oh yeah... forgot about that one. At least you can normally tell a banshee build with proper scouting though.
Reply Quote
Is a FFE into 7 gate +1 timing hitting at 8.30 better then the immortal sentry all in?
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 09:29 PMPosted by GaryOaK
Is a FFE into 7 gate +1 timing hitting at 8.30 better then the immortal sentry all in?

Well, I'm going to say no because I believe you are quite a bit late on that attack. You can do a 7-gate all-in hitting before 8 minutes. Immortal/sentry can leave your base at 8:45 and hit before 9 or 9:15.

Honestly though it depends on the zerg. Both exploit timing windows that are hard for the zerg to deal with. There are more proper reactions to the gateway timing attack that can hold it, while the immortal/sentry all-in is hard to deal with even if you know its coming (or you just announce you are going to do it prior to a tournament and then all-in the local champ 3 times in a row and still win).

If I had to rank them in effectiveness and reliability I'd go with immortal/sentry > +1 4gate zealots into 7 gate blink > 7 gate all-in
Reply Quote
How to deal with massed Voidrays or massed mutas. Mainly voidrays? I usally play as random.
Edited by CATSCLAW on 11/27/2012 11:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Do I have to mine gas vs Terran every game despite his gasless 2 rax?

Just seems unfair when I can FFE agaisnt zerg with no gas.
Edited by AgCl on 11/28/2012 7:06 AM PST
Reply Quote

Gasless expand for terran is normally off of 1 rax. 2-rax gets a gas an generally indicates early pressure.

If you want to be safe you have to get gas and a core before expanding. If you are willing to risk that terran is going for a gasless expand you can go nexus first or go pylon > gate > nexus > gas > core for a more in between build. Both of these have risks and are not safe outright die to some early pressure.

Also chronoboosting probes makes up for a lot of the time difference.
Reply Quote

Considering that your mineral-only Gateway unit cannot shoot, the safest way to respond to a 1 Rax FE is to get one Assimilator, your Core and a Stalker before placing your expansion down.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 11:16 PMPosted by CATSCLAW
How to deal with massed Voidrays or massed mutas. Mainly voidrays? I usally play as random.

Phoenix with the range upgrade for mutas. Blink stalkers with storm for the voidrays.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]