StarCraft® II

Blasterbots, by Ducky

Community Manager
We featured it up today. Feel free to check it out! Just got out of a round with about 10 people who soundly put me in last place. lol
Reply Quote
So we get featured games we can play without sc2 now? Bomberman!

It's Bomberman on sc2 people!

"easy to learn, difficult to master"

forgot one thing

"been played for years, now play it with us"

I bet you guys put this game up, and dashed out the cubicles to your weekend, not that's it's material to the subject, but I just bet that's what happened (I imagine lazy people).

I'd rather see the zelda remake featured, it emulated fun.
Edited by Malpheus on 11/30/2012 4:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Someone's got a cynical view of the world.
Reply Quote
plz wipe the featured list every week or so, give other maps a chance... how long has snipers been up there... seriously. Follow the app store format. Keep it fresh, keep it changing.
Reply Quote
Congratulations to Ducky. Why the name change from Bomber Bot?
Reply Quote
Since Malph showed me this I guess I will comment too.

How long has it been since the last feature? 2 or 3 weeks?

Its nice that you featured Bounty's map but he was just as surprised as the rest of us when it wasn't Trifaction or one of his other shooters.

This current feature system is just as much failure as the last one. Remember these: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4592753/Custom_Map_Spotlight-3_9_2012 ?

Not a thing has changed just a rearranged UI.

To be perfectly fair though, this cannot be faulted on Blizzard's developers, after all its completely unreasonable that a grand exalted community managers be expected to actually dig through the lists to find a buried yet deserving map instead of just picking a random one from the first 3 pages.

Oh well we just get to wait and see what they do with it this time. After it is only their fourth try.
Edited by FockeWulf on 11/30/2012 7:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Still liking that more maps get featured. I really want to see maps featured more often.

In terms of custom map PR, Blizzard seems to highly prefer to highlight maps above all other means.

Thus they should dedicate at least a minor separate division of employees that would feature maps they like constantly every 2 weeks (perhaps even every week in the beginning).

By making it a truly regular event (preferably a VERY specific day every 2 weeks), that would give some honest hope to mapmakers that they could get their map seen thus a real and solid incentive to do more maps.

Regularity is key in such case.

If it's 3+ weeks in-between, it tend to be too forgettable and the only real winner is the "lucky" mapmaker while others feel left behind.

The custom scene really need any push it can get from Blizzard.

11/30/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Abstract
Congratulations to Ducky. Why the name change from Bomber Bot?

Since newer maps have higher odds to be seen via the "newest maps" section, it's possible he decided he had better odds to re-release his map under a similar name. If so, it's clear that he exceptionally won his bet by a very long shot.

Due to that, I was also considering re-releasing my own map if only to perhaps get more players when otherwise it's a forgotten map by the masses (only 30 ratings). Still, nobody should have to do that *just* to get his map better seen if it didn't get enough push on week 1.
Edited by Honejasi on 11/30/2012 9:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nice map, but honestly, the "featured map" pool right now is just an extended "top played". Once a map makes it up there, it stays there pretty much forever leaving every other mapmaker sitting at the bottom of the pool waiting hours for a lobby to fill. It would be an "honor" if the "top played" was reset more frequently than the featured. It would be an "aid to map makers" if the featured was reset more frequently (every week or sooner) than the "top played". As it stands now, its just an extension of a very broken system.

Still, congrats to ducky.
Edited by ckSynergy on 12/1/2012 12:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm just glad you guys are featuring things still. Thanks.
Reply Quote
Doesn't matter how fast you "reset maps" top played will remain the same, it's the logic behind it.

Congratulations to Ducky, this map has gone through a long polish and feedback from players he deserves it. The name change was a suprise to me but then again I haven't watched this map lately.

Off topic: pre-1.5 we could see how many players had bookmarked a map, why remove it?
Reply Quote
Aaw, to all the kind people in here - thank you.

11/30/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Abstract
Why the name change from Bomber Bot?

I was asked to change it to something less bomber-y.

11/30/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Honejasi
Since newer maps have higher odds to be seen via the "newest maps" section, it's possible he decided he had better odds to re-release his map under a similar name. If so, it's clear that he exceptionally won his bet by a very long shot.

I don't think anyone other than us look at "newest maps" tab, in my experience majority goes with either spotlight or fun or not (at least on EU). I had this map uploaded for a month and during that time it didn't get a single rating.
Reply Quote
Aaw, to all the kind people in here - thank you.

Why the name change from Bomber Bot?

I was asked to change it to something less bomber-y.

I don't think anyone other than us look at "newest maps" tab, in my experience majority goes with either spotlight or fun or not (at least on EU). I had this map uploaded for a month and during that time it didn't get a single rating.

Which is why the current arcade system is failing to help newer maps, does anyone from Blizzard recognize this?
Why do we only see devs posting in editor help threads (mostly trivial stuff), and ignore what will ultimately make or break the custom game scene - the interface used to join and play the games.

So you make a cool new map, it's a lot of fun, but no one can see it, hence no one joins, hence it doesn't get played, and in circles we go <---- this featured map is a prime example, it only got recognition after it was FEATURED... how long has it been out there?? this saddens me honestly, the SC2 editor is so powerful, so much potential being wasted here.
Edited by CaveOfWondrs on 12/1/2012 9:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Why do we only see devs posting in editor help threads (mostly trivial stuff), and ignore what will ultimately make or break the custom game scene - the interface used to join and play the games.

*Warning long post, a lot of theorycraft*

My random possible guesses would be :

1) They believe we are the vocal minority while everyone else is more than happy in other words they believe they semi-ignore us at little penalty.

Unfortunately, even custom map players still dwindle to this day. Heck even a pool I saw say that only 5% of players buys HotS for the custom map scene while 50% buys in hopes for the melee scene. I don't remember the remaining 45% for which reason.

Note : I don't remember the numbers 100% by heart but those were the relative numbers.

2) They took for granted that 1.5 fixes everything after spending a lot of money as far they are concerned and won't spend much more.

Unfortunately, they probably just needed to spend just that 5% more money at the right spot (ex : show some open games in browse and/or add refresh button for lobbies back at top) to bring 75% of the benefits but they stopped there.

3) They hope HotS magically fixes everything with 1.5 out. Unfortunately, the custom scene still have too low of a reputation to be fully "canceled" out by HotS.

4) They are overly afraid to piss off the popularity-oriented players. Heavily based on the reactions from popularity-oriented players the first weeks of patch 1.2's "bug" (when popularity resets at every 24 played hours of played back to 0 ).

5) With the marketplace plans still on, they believe their current popularity system will focus the same top X maps that will become premium maps. If players are "forced" to buy their favorite map, it means more cash according to their plan. The Activision side still want to see the money.

Unfortunately, beyond short-term extra money, it would crumble as few extra maps (not mentioning real quality) are honestly made and might not justify the players' money or in the best scenario, the marketplace is only the Apple Store Tiny Junior.

6) With the multiple issues they had with the custom map scene, they might honestly no longer know what to do to fix things (from their own business perceptive). If doing anything costs money and they aren't sure of anything, they might prefer to do nothing.

Unfortunately, even if Blizzard tend to get easily flamed for any minor screw-up, custom map players would have much more faith if they are more active EVEN if they screw up a bit there and there.

In addition, they are in a situation that waiting is losing. That's opposed to the past which in SC1 and WC3's situations, they didn't have a "negative reputation income" over time on the custom map scene so they could use all the time they want and even not lift a finger if they wanted. In SC2, the "negative rep. income" got considerably slowed by 1.5 but is still ticking.

The only way to stop the "negative rep. income" is with fixes that allow most mapmakers to honestly make a good map and can expect a reasonable amount of players without making big efforts to promote their maps and relying on luck.
Edited by Honejasi on 12/1/2012 11:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well whatever the case is, if real change doesn't happen in HOTS (which i won't buy until i see such change), then SC2 is pretty much done for me, i don't care much for melee, it gets boring pretty fast, and i didn't like the campaign story either, too shallow and predictable...

Honestly they really didn't have to spend a lot of money to fix the custom game scene... the community told them time and time again how to fix the problem, but they chose to go with what THEY thought would be best, all those shiny new UI elements they added in count for nothing if the same old problems linger around beneath them... as a result, we're stuck with the same maps being played, the same maps dominating the spotlight, deviate but a little and be forced to wait for god knows how long in a lobby before anyone joins...

Sometimes i wonder if the devs behind the custom game ui even participate in it at all... Have they ever tried to make a game and publish it? did they see how hard/impossible it is for people to play the game (cheating and featuring your game doesn't count)? And i'm talking before and after patch 1.5...

And btw what ever happened to blizzard dota? did that die? wasn't that supposed to be out like a long long time ago already???
Edited by CaveOfWondrs on 12/1/2012 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Cloaken was merely announcing something. There's no need to argue in this thread guys - there's literally hundreds of other threads you can join in on for this same exact discussion.
Reply Quote
12/01/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Nunu
Cloaken was merely announcing something. There's no need to argue in this thread guys - there's literally hundreds of other threads you can join in on for this same exact discussion.

1) We're merely responding to that announcement.
2) The threads you're referring to all seem to be free of blue presence, perhaps this one will be the exception? All we want is for them to communicate with us on this matter, what do they think, what are the current state of things internally, etc.
Edited by CaveOfWondrs on 12/1/2012 8:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Help! My BlasterBots stats have been reset last week and my friend had the same thing happen to his stats this past week.....what gives?! I love looking at my stats, will Battlenet restore them for us?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
Oh god! Not your stats! Someone call the cyber police investigators unit! This man cant view his precious stats! He needs to see his stats or else he wont live! He has to be constantly reminded how awesome he is! If this matter doesn't get resolved he might do something drastic! I fear he may end up overdosing on tissues to counteract his level of sadness!
Reply Quote
Help! My BlasterBots stats have been reset last week and my friend had the same thing happen to his stats this past week.....what gives?! I love looking at my stats, will Battlenet restore them for us?

Thanks.

Blizzard won't be able to do anything for you. You'd be better off contacting the publisher and asking him to send you a bank file containing the stats you claim to have lost (there's no way for him to know what your stats were beforehand so this would be based on trust).

12/29/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Machschau
Oh god! Not your stats! Someone call the cyber police investigators unit! This man cant view his precious stats! He needs to see his stats or else he wont live! He has to be constantly reminded how awesome he is! If this matter doesn't get resolved he might do something drastic! I fear he may end up overdosing on tissues to counteract his level of sadness!

While I agree that this is petty, I feel like your reply was more petty. It is a commonly experienced bug and it is definately critical for any map inherently dependent on saving data though plays. For example, I made a map called Craft Cards in which you battle with cards that you trade and buy outside of games. If a bug were to erase someone's cards, it could easily set back hours of progress. So I feel that this is definately the place to explain an experience about said bug.
Reply Quote
YOU'RE TEARING ME APART LISA!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]