StarCraft® II

PvT, How do I deal with mass air?

Hello everyone. I was playing a Terran earlier and got steamrolled when he built a massive fleet of Banshees and Vikings. I managed to spot it a few minutes before he attacked. Warped in a ton of Stalkers to attempt to counter it, which got promptly demolished. Cannons were little more than speedbumps. He had too many Vikings to get an air defense up in time. I haven't read much about it which leads me to believe that it's not particularly viable, but I don't know what an effective response would be.
Reply Quote
It sounds like this is in the mid-game. Stalkers and HTs with Storm would work pretty well against this composition. Feedback on Banshees is a good way to start a battle with tremendous burst damage. Furthermore, Storm is effective against both of those units since Air Units tend to stack. Stalkers serve as a "mineral dump" and as the clean-up crew.

EDIT: Blink will be really useful as well since Ground Units can't stack together like Air Units can. Blinking forward also helps chase down retreating units.
Edited by Park on 12/3/2012 9:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
Active scouting to discern your opponent's build/unit composition would be prudent. The thing about air units, especially banshees, is that they clump up easily. When I saw some threads over on the Terran forums about this sky style, a replay showed some nice storms decimated the army. I don't play Protoss, nor am I a good player, but my Protoss unit composition againt a sky army would revolve around units with AoE damage like the Archot or High Templar. Another option would be to apply pressure, from what I've observed trying to get to a maxed sky army takes resources and time.

Sorry about the lack of solid advice, I'm only a silver Terran :I
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Tibarn
Hello everyone. I was playing a Terran earlier and got steamrolled when he built a massive fleet of Banshees and Vikings. I managed to spot it a few minutes before he attacked. Warped in a ton of Stalkers to attempt to counter it, which got promptly demolished. Cannons were little more than speedbumps. He had too many Vikings to get an air defense up in time. I haven't read much about it which leads me to believe that it's not particularly viable, but I don't know what an effective response would be.

Your opponent was probably going for viking/banshee/scan/raven, which is infuriating to deal with when you don't see it coming because they focus down your observers with their vikings and then go to town on your army with cloaked banshees. Phoenixes are, obviously, a good unit in this situation, as are HTs/archons, as others have pointed out. Immortals and colossi are useless here because they can't attack air units, but you still need to build a robo in order to make absurd amounts of observers. Also, strangely enough, just building cannons in strategic locations - even using them aggressively - can be useful because they're detectors that his vikings can't kill, and they you'll have an abundance of minerals if you're making phoenixes/HTs.

You should keep in mind that this is an incredibly gas intensive build for terran players though, so you should be able to overwhelm him before his armada gets any kind of scary if they tech straight into it. The late-late game is a different story, but I've never faced a terran who transitioned into this in the late game.
Edited by RexUranus on 12/4/2012 4:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
With HT's You almost do not need to waste resources on observers.....Just let the HTS storm them (banshees) into oblivion. The vikings are there mainly just to kill observers. The mistake a lot of people make is getting a ton of observers which are just killed by scans and vikings.
Edited by ScRuNgY on 12/4/2012 6:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Mass Phoenix actually beats this. Little known fact: Phoenixes tear up Vikings due to having the Light attribute and significantly more durability than Vikings.
Reply Quote
vikings are armored and have a range of 19. phoenixes have a range of 4 (+2) and have a bonus against light. HT and stalker mix would work well. sentries are important because of shield and hallucination. banshies have 2 attacks so shield works double against banshies. Keep your observers behind the army, use feedback, and protect yourself with a lot of cannons. also keep em off balance with attacks and don't let him mass.

i hate this attack but it's easy to counter once you see it a few times.

p.s. if he turtles early and you can't scout with an observer, use hallucination and scout with the phoenixes. hallucination doesn't need an upgrade in HOTS.
Reply Quote
vikings are armored and have a range of 19. phoenixes have a range of 4 (+2) and have a bonus against light. HT

Vikings actually have a range of 9, but they have low HP AND they cannot kite Phoenixes. Also, Vikings attack extremely slowly. After 2 seconds, which is one Viking volley of 20 damage, the Phoenix has already attacked twice, dealing the same amount of damage to a Viking. One-on one, a Phoenix will survive with 60 HP remaining, 33% of its total durability.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Andrew

This would singlehandedly make Colossi obsolete in PvT lol
Reply Quote
oops. typo. thanks for the analysis though.
Reply Quote
feedback against banshies can be a one shot kill. combine that with stalkers and you're golden. mass blink stalkers and feedback is pretty good against battlecruisers.

i'm in the beta and the tempest REALLY helps against this build. tempests have a 76 hit against battlecruisers and force terran to go either marines or a ton of vikings.
Reply Quote
charge lot and a few dts do the trick against grounded vikings every time for me. blink stalkers are great in the mix too
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]