StarCraft® II

Back in the saddle

Hey I have recently found my self running back to starcraft from l.o.l. Back when i religiosity played star craft; the 4 gate push was a solid strategy. Is that still solid or are there better strategies now days. Any help would be greatly appreciated please and thank you.
Reply Quote
PvP
I like to either do a DT Opening or a Stargate opening. The DT opening punishes anyone who does not go for a Robotics by granting an easy victory, and the Stargate opening is simply fun.

PvT
I always Nexus First into a Quick Third with 8Gate Pressure.

PvZ
I hate Robo openings, and Chargelot/Archon pushes, which is the only reasonable strategy from Twilight, sucks. Therefore, I usually open with Sidewinder's 2Base Mothership expand.
Reply Quote
4-Gate is no longer as solid as it used to be, ever since the Warp Gate Research Time nerf.
Reply Quote
4Gate vs. Terrans: Either Warp-in on the High Ground or lose.
4Gate vs. Zerg: Speedlings crush this.
4Gate vs. Protoss: Slowly fading out of existence. 3Gate Robo crushes this. Fast expands are now able to deal with this, and DTs opening are auto-win against 4Gates.
Reply Quote
ok I guess I guess I will need to come up with something new to keep up with he times then. What is in the now times with P,Z,and T? If I may ask
Reply Quote
Do you want to macro or all-in?

If all-in:
PvT, PvP: blink stalker all in is good
PvZ: 2 base sentry immortal all-in (ffe, 6 minute robotics facility, chronoboost 3 immortals then warp prism then obs, and attack with ~10 sentries, 3 immortals, reinforcements from a proxy pylon and warp prism, with 7 gates and +1 ground attack)

If macro:
PvP: 2 gate robo expand
PvT: 1 gate fe into colossus with one forge to take 3 bases
PvZ: FFE into 4 gate robo expand is most common
Reply Quote
12/01/2012 08:21 PMPosted by Guilt
Fast expands are now able to deal with this
I don't think so, unless the 4 gate is hitting WAY late...

4 gate will hit the FE with WAY more crap than the guy with the Nexus will be able to handle. And if the 4 gate hits and the other guy needs to build 4 cannons to defend (not nearly close to enough btw), the 4 gater can simply nexus and robo at the same time and hit with am Immortal timing WELL before the fast nexus player can because his Nexus will set him behind in tech, especially if he has to use resources to defend 4 gate "pressure" at this point.
Reply Quote
Ok so I'm thinking that I can 4 gate push for an opening; if it works that's great if not then it will work for good pressure. If it does not work then I can shift into something with a bit more power such as; immortals, have a colossi or two for a little extra fire power. Or I could go lighter on something and add in an archon or two give or take. Plus zealots, stalkers, and sentries, with what is left over from the push.
I will probably need to expand shortly before i push with the 4 gate push that way it is easier to shift into the bigger forces if needed. That's the thought anyways.
Reply Quote
12/03/2012 11:21 AMPosted by CozyComic
Ok so I'm thinking that I can 4 gate push for an opening; if it works that's great if not then it will work for good pressure. If it does not work then I can shift into something with a bit more power such as; immortals, have a colossi or two for a little extra fire power.

The typical Korean 4-gate that hits as fast as possible is considered an all-in (although through Gold league it may not be). Using a 4-gate as a learning build is fine, but it probably won't take you very far outside outside of PvP.
Reply Quote
Alright I will keep that in mind. know any solid openings that are good for shifting into immortals, colossi, and archon if needed? Would a dt opening be of any use? since they are half of what I need for Archons? gets me closer to Archons sooner more so than later. Most of my experience is in the practice league so sorry.
Reply Quote
Alright I will keep that in mind. know any solid openings that are good for shifting into immortals, colossi, and archon if needed? Would a dt opening be of any use? since they are half of what I need for Archons? gets me closer to Archons sooner more so than later. Most of my experience is in the practice league so sorry.

No need for apologies, although you might want to google for some guides.

Vs. Zerg:
FFE into 2base or 3-base tiing, take your pick. The gude:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=383628

I'd reccomend this for anyone just figuring out what to play:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=284255
Reply Quote
ok i shall check them out. thx
Reply Quote
OK according to the liquid forum; 3 stalker harass opening is solid. So I think I can open with that. Go into DT and then expand into my natural. Start working on getting the Archon while using the stalkers, sentries, and dts for pressure. Once the Archon is finished That gives me stalkers, sentries, dts, and Archons to work with. From here I can either go immortals or Colossi depending on what I need. That should give me ample fire power, Then I can go for their bases once all my teck upgraded.
That's the plan anyways; if I expand soon enough and build enough bases; then I should have enough to get everything out on the field. After that it become micro over macro. Am I on the right track any? XD
Reply Quote
you know what I haven't won a single game yet so I am just going to mass stalker and sentries till something works. XD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]