StarCraft® II

Learn how to optimize your computer

- Technical Support
Hey guys, as you all (should) know, I'm sort of a tech geek, and have a profession in this kinda stuff. I had some time today, so I'd like to give you some knowlage. This thread serves 2 purposes.

FAQ - ask my anything
Optimization, and some facts - Make your computer faster, and learn how care for it.

I'll make this brief and simple.

Note, these will mainly apply to windows users.

Using ReadyBoost
Take a flash drive, preferably 4GB or more, and stick it in your computer. Follow these steps.

Vista and above
(If your file system for the flash drive is already NTFS, just skip to step 6.)
1. Copy all contents of the flash drive to the desktop. Then delete it from the flash drive.
2. Go to my computer, then right click on the flash drive. Then click format.
3. Change the file managing system to NTFS.
4. Click start, and let it format.
5. paste all the files you took off back onto the flash drive.
6. View how much space you have left on the flash drive.
7. Right click the flash drive in my computer, and click properties.
8. Go to the ReadyBoost tab.
9. Dedicate as much to ReadyBoost as you want, more is better, I recommend over 1024MB.

ReadyBoost lets the computer use your flash drive as cheap RAM, thus freeing up the good RAM to do the more important stuff.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
AMD Overdrive
Download it from AMD, a processor manufacturing company.

This program allows you to overclock your system. But caution is advised. Be careful to monitor your CPU's temp. You should Google your processor, and the common stable OC level for it. I'd not OC it more than .4, OC via the multipliers, don't mess with voltage. Do stability tests with the program. And check the benchmark test to see if improvement was made.

(Works for only a few processors)
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
CCleaner
I got it from CNET, a very safe place to download stuff. It's in the top 10 Dled programs.
Get it, install it, and run the cleaner every week. Also run the registry cleaner, but be sure set a restore point before you do, and take the suggestion it gives, and backup the registry changes. (Registry is a bit tricky and involves some windows components, but using the registry tool is typically safe, and speeds things up the most.)
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 6:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Adjusting visual effects
Disabling windows areo for vista and 7 can increase performance. Most of the time, all that is necessary is disabling the transparent feature, do this through the windows color options in the control panel.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 6:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Optimum maintenance

Follow these steps.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6412491946

Namely Defrag, and Error check.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
File Cleanup
Go through and uninstall all the programs and games you don't need. Do this through Ccleaner, then run both the normal cleanup, and registry cleanup I specified before, these will remove any shadow files the programs/games leave behind. A less congested Hard Drive is a faster Hard Drive.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Upgrading Components

Upgrades to RAM, or a new graphics card are major pluses. You must Google what is compatible with your motherboard though. Some take DDR2 RAM, most take DDR3 RAM. Certain slots accommodate certain Graphics cards. You also should take a look at your power supply, and the power requirements of new hardware.

Shop at
Tigerdirect.com
Newegg.com

Learn from
Youtube
Google
Me
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 7:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Thoroughly Scan for malware, spyware, and viruses
Microsoft Security Essentials is good to do it with. (Microsoft.com)
Avast free antivirus works to. (C.NET)
AVG antivirus also works. (C.NET)
(all free)

Only have one AV enabled at a time, multiple active ones will slow your computer down. I recommend MSE. Scanning and removing those nasty things will most likely speed things up if there were any.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 7:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Reducing Start-up Programs

In the tools section of Ccleaner, you can take a look at all the programs that start when you boot up, and continually run. Disable all of the ones you think you don't need. Be a bit careful, don't disable anything windows or Microsoft related, if you have any question about what to disable, Google it, or ask me here.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Install latest versions of Java, and Flash
If you have a 64 bit OS, get the 64 bit versions. Be sure to get each from their official websites. (Flash asks if you wish to install McAfee, don't, it slows you down.)

http://www.java.com/en/
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Optimizing refresh rate

Many people settle for lower refresh rates, when their monitors can probably do much more. Refresh rate is directly related to frame rate.
Right click desktop> Personalize> display settings> Advanced settings> Monitor > Check the box that says hide modes this monitor can not display> click the drop down menu> Click the highest possible setting> Click apply.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Best hookup for best speed

This one make a little difference, but some nonetheless. While USB hookups for mouses and keyboard have their benefits, like being able to program them, or the cool LED lights, the older, PS/2 hookup is in most cases, faster. If your motherboard featured USB 3.0 tech, stop reading here.

PS/2, for reasons I'm unsure of, is actually faster. The response time on average for a USB keyboard is 18ms, on a ps/2 hookup, it's 3ms. One would not notice a difference, but apparently there are some who do O_o.

Ps/2 is the hookup that's like a circle with holes in it. It's on the cord plate of most computers. I use normal PS/2 mouse and keyboard, but if you have a USB mouse and keyboard, you can buy a converter.

As I said, this does not really make so much of a difference.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Set aside disk space for virtual RAM

This works sort of like ReadyBoost, but it uses your HardDrive instead of a flash drive.

Control Panel> find system, or if vista and above, the windows experience index> On the left side click adjust visual effects> switch to the tab labeled advanced> enter the virtual memory section, and set it to the recommended setting, or higher if you want, I recommend making the amount match the amount of ram you have. Make the minimum value only 100MB less than the maximum value.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Browser Optimization

Download chrome, as it is the fastest. Then go to the chrome web store, search, and download these extensions.

Browse Faster
Browser Accelerator
AdBlock
Classic Popup Blocker
CSS remove and combine
JSMin Chromium
Kraken.io Image Optimizer
PageSpeed Insights
WOT

These will ensure you browse as fast as possible, and have the most secure browser possible.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 10:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Sleep

Did you know, that putting your computer into sleep mode, although it uses some power, is actually better over time for your machine.

1. No boot up, mean to time wasted waiting.
2. Over time, shutting down and turning on, which heats up your components, and when off, they cool down, will degrade your machine. Sleep keeps things at a warm temperature, preventing degradation of circuit boards.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Power settings

(Vista and above)
Go into the control panel, and find the power settings. Then find the link that lets you create a custom power plan. Click it. Start by setting it to balanced, then click next. Set the basic settings how you want, then click next. It should be finished. Then be sure to select it, and then click the link to change settings. Then go into advanced settings. Scroll down to Processor Power Managements, and click it, then click maximum power state. Set that to 100%. Then Apply it all.

In XP, just set things it to the max performance power plan.
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 11:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Edited by Duke on 12/3/2012 11:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
Alright, alright. I got one for you.

My Piece of Crap wont let me download anything. Java, flash, Starcraft, school assignments! Nothing. Whenever I try it comes up with a window that says to type my administrator password. I do and it says some random crap like, "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." or some crap like that.

Keep in mind, I am in a Domain that I can't get out of since this is a school computer.
Reply Quote
I can tell you that one. You aren't an administrator with the school.
Reply Quote
That's not even true :\

I got the administrator PW from my teacher because she honestly just doesn't care. I log in as TEACHER every time :P Pretty sure that's against some kind of rule but whatever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]