StarCraft® II

Why I hated WoL's campaign

For those of you that have ever seen older sitcoms, remember when there would be a guest star? They'd come in, everyone would stop and there would be a random tidal wave of applause, and then life goes on.

That's kinda what WoL felt like. A constant stream of guest appearances used mainly for the 'Hey remember this guy? Huh? Huuuuuh?' It got in the way of everything else. It's kinda like D3's 'Hey remember this place? Huh? Huuuuuh?'

Hoping for something new from HotS, even if it's secondary to the multiplayer for me anyway.
Reply Quote
I agree. Brood War should have had everything tied up instead of putting the series on a hiatus.

Doing so would have allowed SC2 to start on a fresh note just like WarCraft III.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 12/6/2012 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
How do you expect to tie up Hybrids and the Queen of Blades by the end of Brood war? I mean real?

Thats like saying wc1 should've tied up the Orcs plot line by the end of wc1 so wc2 could be about something entirely different...
Edited by Valsoriel on 12/6/2012 8:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
A constant stream of guest appearances? Such as?

We have to exclude Kerrigan, and she's kind of a main character. Mengsk is also out as the antagonist. So, for returning characters, we have . . . Zeratul.

Anybody else from SC and Brood War making their rounds? You can hardly blame Blizzard for trying to have continuity with other Starcraft sources, but even then, in that case, it's not a "Hey, remember this guy?" sort of thing, it's a "For those of you unfamiliar with books/comics/now-defunct-FPS-games-that-were-once-in-development, here are the characters and the world-building."
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 08:53 PMPosted by Valsoriel
How do you expect to tie up Hybrids and the Queen of Blades by the end of Brood war? I mean real?

By not introducing the UED or the Hybrids in a mere expansion and by doing something more conclusive with the Queen of Blades, like having her kill all her potential opponents (Raynor, Mengsk, Zeratul), therefore providing Blizzard a much better excuse to come up with new characters and factions.

Thats like saying wc1 should've tied up the Orcs plot line by the end of wc1 so wc2 could be about something entirely different...

WC1's ending was satisfying on its own: either the Humans (at the time, Stormwind was essentially Azeroth) were vanquished or the Horde was obliterated. Also, WC2 was released the next year.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 12/8/2012 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
Tassadar's entrance though is the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP. That scene was the height of facepalm-worthiness.

12/07/2012 12:16 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf

By not introducing the UED or the Hybrids in a mere expansion and by doing something more conclusive with the Queen of Blades, like having her kill all her potential opponents (Raynor, Mengsk, Zeratul), therefore providing Blizzard a much better excuse to come up with new characters and factions.

Right, since everyone has to die for Blizzard to introduce new characters. Since it's inconceivable that someone competent/ambitious exists on Korhal's ecumenopolis, or the "billions upon billions" of people that died in the zerg invasion.

If Blizzard had never pretended that Brood War never existed, Mengsk wouldn't have been in power anyway. Realistically, after getting defeated like 5 times in Brood War, he should have been shot/usurped/killed.
Reply Quote
A constant stream of guest appearances? Such as?

We have to exclude Kerrigan, and she's kind of a main character. Mengsk is also out as the antagonist. So, for returning characters, we have . . . Zeratul.

Now that I think of it, you forgot Tassadar, the Overmind and Duran (aka Narud).

Of course, that's hardly a "constant stream" of guest appearances.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 12:16 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf

So lemme get this straight... You want Blizzard to kill off major Lore characters just so they can create a new story... You do realize that the most successful sequels generally have at least some if not most of the original cast, right?

Would you like to know why? Becuase people fall in love with these characters and they want to see them return. If Kerrigan simply upped and killed every single major character then there would be A TON of fans severely disappointed. Personally my favorite character is Kerrigan herself, but if Zeratul and Raynor just got killed off I would be... pretty disappointed in that poor writing decision.

Losing ONE major character (ie Fenix) is a twist, it's spice and it's a "Noooooo daaamn...." It creates sadness and sympathy... A long with a host of tons of other emotions. Losing every single major lore character you fell in love with is just... "Well screw this, this is a terrible story - the hero can never win."
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Valsoriel
So lemme get this straight... You want Blizzard to kill off major Lore characters just so they can create a new story...

Infested Kerrigan would have returned as well as Duran. But yes, it would have had Brood War end on a far more conclusive note instead of some cheap cliffhanger followed by an infuriating thirteen-year hiatus.

It's a good thing Blizzard hadn't changed its mind or gone bankrupt in the meantime, because otherwise StarCraft would have suffered the same fate as Tribes Vengeance, Mega Man Legends 2, Mega Man X8, SiN, Advent Rising, Aquaria and many other dead franchises that never got a proper conclusion.

You do realize that the most successful sequels generally have at least some if not most of the original cast, right?

WarCraft III featured a mostly original cast; only a handful of characters returned from WC1-2.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 12/9/2012 7:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 07:39 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
So lemme get this straight... You want Blizzard to kill off major Lore characters just so they can create a new story...

Infested Kerrigan would have returned as well as Artanis. But yes, it would have had Brood War end on a far more conclusive note instead of some cheap cliffhanger followed by an infuriating thirteen-year hiatus.

It's a good thing Blizzard hadn't changed its mind or gone bankrupt in the meantime, because otherwise StarCraft would have suffered the same fate as Tribes Vengeance, Mega Man Legends 2, Mega Man X8, SiN, Advent Rising, Aquaria and many other dead franchises that never got a proper conclusion.

You do realize that the most successful sequels generally have at least some if not most of the original cast, right?

WarCraft III featured a mostly original cast; only a handful of characters returned from WC1-2.

Warcraft 1 and 2, same characters. Warcraft 3, new characters.

Starcraft 1 and 2, same chracters. Starcraft 3, who knows?? OMGOSH THE LOGIC! :O
Reply Quote
Again, WC2 was released a year after the original. However, aside from Lothar, the cast was entirely new.

Heck, even in Diablo II, most of the characters were new.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 12/9/2012 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Again, WC2 was released a year after the original. However, aside from Lothar, the cast was entirely new.

Heck, even in Diablo II, most of the characters were new.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Major_characters

Look at all those characters killed at the end of each game/expansion/book... Wait a second...

In all honesty a better example:

Harry Potter, LotR, Star Trek, Star Wars, Drizzt Do'Urden series, etc.
Edited by Valsoriel on 12/9/2012 9:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
All of these stories were obviously meant to have a sequel released shortly after.

BW's ending was so inconclusive and inconsequential that it would have required a second expansion to properly wrap things up. Instead, Blizzard decided to put StarCraft on hold for at least a decade.
Reply Quote

So lemme get this straight... You want Blizzard to kill off major Lore characters just so they can create a new story... You do realize that the most successful sequels generally have at least some if not most of the original cast, right?

Would you like to know why? Becuase people fall in love with these characters and they want to see them return. If Kerrigan simply upped and killed every single major character then there would be A TON of fans severely disappointed. Personally my favorite character is Kerrigan herself, but if Zeratul and Raynor just got killed off I would be... pretty disappointed in that poor writing decision.

Losing ONE major character (ie Fenix) is a twist, it's spice and it's a "Noooooo daaamn...." It creates sadness and sympathy... A long with a host of tons of other emotions. Losing every single major lore character you fell in love with is just... "Well screw this, this is a terrible story - the hero can never win."

This. I felt the old characters were woven into the new story quite well. If any of them had been absent I would have been disappointed. Also. Narud. TY Bliz. PS this is call fan service (though not the sexual kind). They would be letting us down to exclude them. Also, they are what make Starcraft Starcraft. Without them SC is just another boring RTS that no one really gives any !@#$s about. No thanks to that.

Also, Blizzard kills off heroes all the time. See Warcraft and SC1/BW.
Edited by Recca on 12/10/2012 10:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Don't get me wrong: for the most part, I'm fine with Wings of Liberty's story.

However, I wouldn't have minded Blizzard getting crazier and bolder with the series.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 12/11/2012 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Don't forget Artanis' guest appearance in that last Protoss mission. I bet everyone was just wondering who the heck Mohandar and Urun were.
Reply Quote
I didn't. Just by the dialogue, their look and the vehicle they were piloting, I could already tell their function, their personality and even their possible role in Legacy of the Void.

Despite their brief appearance, I found myself liking them already.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 12/12/2012 2:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 01:28 PMPosted by UltraNoob
Don't forget Artanis' guest appearance in that last Protoss mission. I bet everyone was just wondering who the heck Mohandar and Urun were.

Quite a few people did, including myself, because at that moment, I hadn't read "The Dark Templar Saga Part 3: Twilight" yet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]