StarCraft® II

[Editor Suggestion] More Terrain Levels

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but just in case it hasn't, it would be really nice to have more terrain levels. The three (not counting the unplayable fourth) really limit a lot of arcade maps. I realize that three terrain levels suit ladder maps better, but those can still be decided by Blizzard, while mappers can build expansive detailed terrain.

I know my map, and every arcade map, would greatly benefit from this added feature.

I've heard that this is on your radar for things to do, but a lot of mappers at sc2mapster have expressed that this is a much needed change.

Much appreciated,
Juxtapoz
Reply Quote
I would like to add, First 7 or 8 Levels up would be nice, and start all maps on the 2nd level.(so by default you can go down 1 level

2nd, I would like to have it so you can build cliffs on top of other cliff types, they dont have to combine with the other cliffs, just set on top of them, Whats more realistic, a terran base on a terran cliff, or a terran cliff, on 2 Rock cliffs? just saying, it would look and give more possibilities.
Reply Quote
Well you can kind of add levels, cheat the terrain in a way. What you would need to do in the terrain section is go to the "height" button, and paint the terrain like hills, then when you get the peak of the hill to whatever level you want it to be you go to the "uniform" button and level the terrain off that way. then use the "smooth" button to make ramps in between the 2 levels you made.

Then you just use pathing to keep units from walking up and down the cliffs you just made

Its true the camera won't move up and down with the levels, but it shouldn't matter unless you add like two dozen levels xD
Reply Quote
Yeah, but I feel you don't exactly get the same effect or feel.
My game interacts with the terrain a lot and it doesn't quite work as well with cliffs made in that way. But it's always an option.
Reply Quote
bump for devs
Reply Quote
Adding 8 more cliff levels might be excessive, but it should be simple to add two or three more above and perhaps one more below. I could certainly have used this in some of my maps. As it is, I have to use this:

Well you can kind of add levels, cheat the terrain in a way. What you would need to do in the terrain section is go to the "height" button, and paint the terrain like hills, then when you get the peak of the hill to whatever level you want it to be you go to the "uniform" button and level the terrain off that way. then use the "smooth" button to make ramps in between the 2 levels you made.Then you just use pathing to keep units from walking up and down the cliffs you just made

but it's not perfect. Being able to raise it up a few more cliff levels would allow for, say, proper castle walls, or maybe a deep spiraling pit with proper vision (using the height modification still allows you to see right out of the pit, which isn't realistic, and blocking that vision correctly is a nightmare).
Edited by Palamani on 12/13/2012 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Exactly. Three terrain levels is so limiting. I have heard this is on blizzard's list of things to do, but it really needs to be emphasized.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]