StarCraft® II

HOTS late game PvZ

What does that look like these days? I ran several practice games against my (heavily muta favoring) Zerg practice partner, but failed to take a game. I played a number of different styles, and for most of them I can pinpoint the the problems. But there were a few times I got into late game with a better economy, templar tech, and various air compositions.
But I'm still struggling to figure out what my late game composition should look like in HOTS against BL/infestor/Corruptor with a ton of spines. Carriers, Tempests, and VRs still lose to Corruptors (although maybe if I got better with that new ability VRs would do a little better vs Corruptors?), and BL/infestor still whomps everything else. And now there's no arcohn toilet.
I've been trying to use Tempests to force corruptors into range of archons, but I haven't quite got the mix right. Anyone having any luck with the new patch in late game PvZ?
Reply Quote
What does that look like these days? I ran several practice games against my (heavily muta favoring) Zerg practice partner, but failed to take a game. I played a number of different styles, and for most of them I can pinpoint the the problems. But there were a few times I got into late game with a better economy, templar tech, and various air compositions.
But I'm still struggling to figure out what my late game composition should look like in HOTS against BL/infestor/Corruptor with a ton of spines. Carriers, Tempests, and VRs still lose to Corruptors (although maybe if I got better with that new ability VRs would do a little better vs Corruptors?), and BL/infestor still whomps everything else. And now there's no arcohn toilet.
I've been trying to use Tempests to force corruptors into range of archons, but I haven't quite got the mix right. Anyone having any luck with the new patch in late game PvZ?

Zergs go bl/infestor in hots?
Reply Quote
You need templar to support your air. Archons or storm make it difficult for corruptors to engage your air units without getting torn apart.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Derpy

If they want to win, yes.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Linkebungu
You need templar to support your air. Archons or storm make it difficult for corruptors to engage your air units without getting torn apart.

Tried that, but I guess I need more practice with it. So ~6 HTs, 4-6 archons, a few zealots to tank, 4-6 Tempests, and the rest in Carriers?
Or should I give VRs a spin (need to be in a group without other casters so I can power-up their anti-armor against the Corruptors?) and go VR/tempest/HT with some Zealot/archon?
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:25 AMPosted by EllisD

If they want to win, yes.

I thought tempest was still in the gamne
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Derpy
I thought tempest was still in the gamne

Well, you need corruptors, too. Tempests can snipe BLs, but not imediately. And so far, corrupters seem to be able to come and snipe them while the BLs just kill archons or anytihng on the ground, because nothing Protoss has in the air make Corruptors cost inefficient in the numbers Zerg can build them.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 12:13 PMPosted by BlackAdder
nothing Protoss has in the air make Corruptors cost inefficient in the numbers Zerg can build them.

...which is the problem with skytoss vs Z and why it isn't viable, skills being equal

Blizzard, how about making zerg think about more complex unit combinations? Instead of just mass 2 units...maybe 3, meanwhile we've gotta do voidray carrier tempest archon templar with psi storm micro.
Reply Quote
Straight skytoss isn't viable, but archon / ht / skytoss is the best composition we have, I'd say.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7350505339
Reply Quote
Tried that, but I guess I need more practice with it. So ~6 HTs, 4-6 archons, a few zealots to tank, 4-6 Tempests, and the rest in Carriers?
Or should I give VRs a spin (need to be in a group without other casters so I can power-up their anti-armor against the Corruptors?) and go VR/tempest/HT with some Zealot/archon?

I actually usually only get 6-8 carriers and get more archons. I haven't tried out the new void ray yet, but I haven't used those in the late game up until this point, not sure if they'll do any better. I think I'd rather have stalkers than zealots as well if they're going bl/infestor.
Reply Quote
12/08/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Linkebungu
I think I'd rather have stalkers than zealots as well if they're going bl/infestor.

My thinking is you need all the gas you can get for the archons/air, and stalkers don't do jack against BLs or infestors unless you have at least a dozen. The zealots are only there to kill some broodlings before they die. But hey, I can't tell you you're wrong...

12/08/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Linkebungu
I actually usually only get 6-8 carriers and get more archons.

Doesn't that get a lot weaker if you don't have a vortex to control space? Just asking.

12/08/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Stunergy
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7350505339

Bet the game on fake Collossi? Sounds a little gimmicky.
Reply Quote
12/08/2012 03:23 PMPosted by BlackAdder
Doesn't that get a lot weaker if you don't have a vortex to control space? Just asking.

I personally like getting more archons because it makes your tempest and carriers basically untouchable, which will allow them to deal with brood lords easily.
Reply Quote
Tempest/Carrier/Voidray/High Temp crushes BLord/Infestor!
Reply Quote

Bet the game on fake Collossi? Sounds a little gimmicky.

If they go vipers its not, because you killed their oversearers. Try it out, and you will see how effective it is.
Reply Quote
12/08/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Linkebungu
I personally like getting more archons because it makes your tempest and carriers basically untouchable, which will allow them to deal with brood lords easily.

Ok, I'll take a crack at it.
Reply Quote
Just played a macro game. The opp wasn't very good, so not much to learn, but I did learn to love the new void ray against roaches and Corruptors. :)
Reply Quote
Try timewarp+ archons (or storm) against corruptors. Very powerful combination. Against any unit practically.

As far as I am concerned time warp will fulfill the function that vortex once did (on a smaller scale) once people begin to learn using it.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Pesto
Try timewarp+ archons (or storm) against corruptors. Very powerful combination. Against any unit practically.

I thought time warp was ground only. Did that change?
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 03:17 PMPosted by BlackAdder

I thought time warp was ground only. Did that change?

Aww nuts you are right. Thats what I get for theorizing without playing (damn Mac bug on beta :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]