StarCraft® II

HOTS late game PvZ

12/07/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Linkebungu
You need templar to support your air. Archons or storm make it difficult for corruptors to engage your air units without getting torn apart.

thats a lot of gas.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 04:04 PMPosted by ProtisSniper
You need templar to support your air. Archons or storm make it difficult for corruptors to engage your air units without getting torn apart.

thats a lot of gas.

So is brood lord/infestor.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Linkebungu

Corrupters are a horrible idea in HotS vs airtoss because VR have that new active ability that gives them +6 damage to armored units...which Corrupters are.

As it sits Airtoss in HotS (VR, Oracle, Carrier...MAYBE Tempest) is just as brutal as WoL's BL+Infestor.
Reply Quote
Corrupters are a horrible idea in HotS vs airtoss because VR have that new active ability that gives them +6 damage to armored units...which Corrupters are.

As it sits Airtoss in HotS (VR, Oracle, Carrier...MAYBE Tempest) is just as brutal as WoL's BL+Infestor.

That might be right: VRs are pretty darn good vs. Corruptors right now. You kind of have to use Infestors to kill them once the numbers get big. Or at least to bait the ability and back off (once the ability wears off, Corruptors may own them). Be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Reply Quote

That might be right: VRs are pretty darn good vs. Corruptors right now. You kind of have to use Infestors to kill them once the numbers get big. Or at least to bait the ability and back off (once the ability wears off, Corruptors may own them). Be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I think we'll see smart use of nfestors again and in return Toss will use Tempests to snipe the Infestors.

It'll be a proper micro war late game imo.
Reply Quote
Based on White-Ra going 3-0 against Ret in the showmatch at NASL yesterday, it looks really interesting. He went for fairly macro style builds all 3 times and didn't build a robo facility at any point. He basically went for come combination of gateway, twilight and stargate tech every game, and the 3rd game went full blown sky-toss with a carrier/tempest/void ray composition.

My takeaways from that game

- void rays are much better now with a useable charge ability to boost dps instead of a passive bonus from attacking a single target, effectively void ray stim
- oracles are extremely effective for harassing, on Ohana, white-ra use a group of 4 to completely clear ret's 3rd of both queens and drones and took no losses. they also provide some niche utility in the form of a mobile detection unit and their stasis field
- carriers seem to function in basically the same way, but with reduced range on fungal they gain utility against infestor/corruptor compositions
Reply Quote
Fairly certain late game PvZ is still going to be a bad idea.

The biggest thing I've seen from HoTs so far, is Protoss has more options to harass/slow down a Zerg players Eco early/mid game. Which will make it more difficult for a Zerg to reach a critical mass of Broodlords + infestor/swarmhost/viper.

My guess would be late late game, Zerg will still have a composition advantage if the Protoss player is going gateway+robo tech.

AirToss is where the biggest changes have come.

Oracles provide GREAT harass, and with a more viable option for air units, having a stargate or 2 for oracles gives you a boost in your transition into full airtoss.

I think gateway+robo compositions will still need to focus on a pre-hive timing attack to win. While stargate play will provide a safer option in going to late game vs zerg.
Reply Quote
I think gateway+robo compositions will still need to focus on a pre-hive timing attack to win. While stargate play will provide a safer option in going to late game vs zerg.

I think that's mostly right, except muta play is better vs. gate/robo than it was in WoL, and Zergs have substantially more options against Collossi (with Vipers, swarm host, and better ultras). So I don't think 3-base Collossi timings are nearly as good in HOTS currently.
You probably still need Robo tech to face roach/hydra+X. But for everything else, will it be air every game in PvZ?
Edited by BlackAdder on 12/10/2012 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
the thing is with me is that my opponent just masses hydras, corrupters and swarm hosts and i cant deal with it no matter what i have
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Takulyps
the thing is with me is that my opponent just masses hydras, corrupters and swarm hosts and i cant deal with it no matter what i have
I think you can quite frankly go Void Ray/HT with storm and chargelots while using a warp-prism to harass and pull enemy units away. Another method is to combine 1-2 Oracles with Time Warp + Storm with voids to counteract the corruptors and storm for both locusts and hydras. Now that VRs own corruptors, you should take advantage of that :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]