StarCraft® II

(HOTS)-How to beat late game zerg using viper

Hello guys, Today I am writing a quick strategy/tip for the protoss players having trouble beating late game zerg in HOTS who are going some sort of unit composition using the viper to pull your AOE/High dps units into their ground army. Most player will be going Hydra/roach/viper or swarmhost/hyrda/viper. (In my experience). When you scout your zerg buddy going for this unit composition prepare to attack at 17/18mins.

The strategy presetup: I will drop a stargate (if i havent opened stargate) around 12 mins, and the fleet beacon soon after. At 14 mins I will drop my second robo bay (for more colossus ). When fleet beacon is done, chrono boost out two/three tempest. and Keep making your colossus/stalker/archon or whatever army. When you have 4/5 colossus take your fourth and actively be scouting your zerg buddies army position. After you reach your desired amount of colossus, make two warp prisms. Use them for hurass or unit reinforcements.

So how will your zerg buddy react to seeing tempest and collosus? He will either make lots of corrupters or more vipers. (which is perfect!)

Now the Strategy- hallucination is the key. For this to work, you only need to do two things....

1) Before you steam roll your zerg buddy, you need to kill his oversears...I find that most zerg buddy's will only make 1-3. Your tempest and stalkers will do great for this job.

2)RIGHT AFTER you snipe his detection. You need to spawn out atleast equal number fake colossus to real number of colossus. If you spawn equal than your zerg buddy has 50 % chance of killing your real ones. And since he make so much anti-air, your ground army and real aoe will have enough time to ROFL stomp your zerg buddy. I normally spawn 6-7 Fake colossus. Your zerg buddy at this point has used all his viper energy on grabbing fake colossus that even having 1 or 2 left will melt his ground army. During the engagement, i will warp in archon and stalkers. And make a few extra colossus if my sentries are still alive :)
Reply Quote
How do you beat late game Viper as Terran? You basically HAVE to go mech- Thor Siege Hellbat Medevac versus any sort of lategame Zerg Ground army, and he can just use that spell that makes all your units unable to attack. I'm tempted to just mass vikings every lategame because that seems to be the unstoppable unit composition of the week: Any zerg ground army + viper...
Reply Quote
Or you could just not make Colossus and use Templar instead. Works fine for me.
Reply Quote
This seems like it would only work if zerg doesn't have detection. rofl.

and very gimmicky.

Effective? yes. just like a dt rush.
Reply Quote
Or you could just not make Colossus and use Templar instead. Works fine for me.
This.

HT is MUCH more powerful a tech in HOTS than Colossus. If you DO open Colossi, don't make more than 2 and transition into HT tech as soon as possible. Don't rely on Colossus for core army. HT Feedback + Storm support is a lot more useful in HOTS PvZ.
Reply Quote
HT is MUCH more powerful a tech in HOTS than Colossus. If you DO open Colossi, don't make more than 2 and transition into HT tech as soon as possible. Don't rely on Colossus for core army. HT Feedback + Storm support is a lot more useful in HOTS PvZ.

That's certianly a good option, but if you're good at sniping Vipers with Tempests and build the new VRs, aren't Collossi still a pretty good unit? I've been doing well in practice with Collossi/VR.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 02:02 PMPosted by BlackAdder
That's certianly a good option, but if you're good at sniping Vipers with Tempests and build the new VRs, aren't Collossi still a pretty good unit? I've been doing well in practice with Collossi/VR.
They are, but low colossus numbers are a little too vulnerable. They're giant targets that once pulled in by Vipers, sniping the vipers in exchange for losing 2-3 colossi is a HUGE gain for Zerg and is very unfavorable for Protoss.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]