Why would you ever use Stalkers?

They have approximately the cost-to-DPS ratio of a Probe. They have less than half the DPS of a Zealot for about twice the cost, and with only slightly more health/shields.

The only way I could see Stalkers being useful is if you need some early game anti-air (even then, there are better options) or if you are going for a quick all-in (again, there are better options). I don't make a single Stalker in any of my games if I can help it, and I made it to Masters on about 65 average APM. Am I missing the point of Stalkers or are they just underpowered?
Reply Quote
I agree, I hate stalkers.

The only time I'm making them is when I have no choice. Often the case vs Zerg and early game vs P.

Having blink is nice and has a high skill cap, but the amount of work you put in compared to the reward in a straight up fight vs stimmed MM or large roach numbers is just retarded to me. Cute for gimmicky cheese though, and good for a timed all-in(yawn).

And then you look at their cost and all I can do is LOL.
Reply Quote
I agree. I try to avoid making stalkers in all 3 matchups by focusing on chargelots for tier 1 and using the leftover gas in upgrades and upper tier units.

I get stalkers only if my opponent is heavily going for air and archons / my own air units aren't cutting it anymore.

I'm aware of blink and how amazing it is in the right hands, but just like Samson I don't have the apm for it.
Reply Quote
i love stalkers but they are so useless i never make them if I can help it.
Reply Quote
I like stalkers...
Reply Quote
because blink stalkers are the most versatile unit in the game
Reply Quote
Because they are good if you know how to micro?
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 10:55 PMPosted by ComradEX

Can you elaborate?
Reply Quote
the idea behind stalkers is that they have high move speed, can shoot air, and are very mobile with blink. They can be very annoying hah

against an immobile army, they can blink into a mineral line, deal some damage, then get out quickly, assuming warp prism harass w/ chargelots isn't being used..
Reply Quote
I generally like builds that skip Stalkers altogether, but sadly they are necessary in PvT and in PvP (short of a Chargelot/Archon build).

It is, however, worth mentioning that with proper Blink micro, it is entirely possible to pick a fight with your opponent without losing a single Stalker.
Reply Quote
stalkers have uses in each of the matchups,

in PvP blink stalkers are mainly used in timings and all ins as they can be very powerful in the early game. Lategame not so much

In PvT with some builds you would be using stalkers as anti air for some collosus builds, drop defence. Of course they are not absolutely needed but they are present in different styles.

In PvZ have very specific uses in a few builds and their timings however after broodlords are out you needed to have some blink stalkers in your army. Not to mention it is usually easier to have a stalker based army against roach hydra then a zealot based army.
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 11:26 PMPosted by Samson

Can you elaborate?

Versatile: capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.:
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 12:45 AMPosted by TechNo

Can you elaborate?

Versatile: capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.:

This is my last reply to you. Go bother someone else, I'm not interested in your trolling.
Reply Quote
(Im addressing WoL play here....HoTS is making some of my thinking obsolete)Blink stalkers are a very good unit. So good in fact that they have not been addressed by blizzard since beta.

You can use a blink build and so drastically slow down terran early game so that you can bring yourself into balance midgame and buy you time to get your tech to hold off any aggression.

Vs zerg....blink stalkers are the go to unit to stop their harassment because you usually do not have enough gas to build massive archons and HTS to stop muta aggression in time.

Vs zerg blink stalkers are the lynchpin of the 7 gate all in providing you have the blink micro to make it work. (Your 65 apm shows that blink micro is not going to be a fundamental part of your game....this is not a knock....but its going to be very hard to make blink micro worthwhile with that kind of apm......in retrospect.....I peak at 250 apm in matches and blink works amazingly well for me in many phases of the game.)

In short stalkers play an important role in the protoss early to mid game and are usually phased out later game in lieu of more situational and powerful tier 2-3 units.

It is not possible to kill banshees with zealots or Archons. Yes Archons can kill banshees but your not going to have any to stop early game banshee play. So the protoss army is saddled with stalkers which are very poor without blink.

Rare is the decent protoss who does not research blink against zerg and terran. Against protoss....thats situational.
Edited by ScRuNgY on 1/2/2013 5:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 05:19 AMPosted by ScRuNgY
s zerg blink stalkers are the lynchpin of the 7 gate all in providing you have the blink micro to make it work. (Your 65 apm shows that blink micro is not going to be a fundamental part of your game....this is not a knock....but its going to be very hard to make blink micro worthwhile with that kind of apm......in retrospect.....I peak at 250 apm in matches and blink works amazingly well for me in many phases of the game.)

Just a point: as a 65 average (Blizzard) APMer, I find blink useful enough in all-ins and such, and can usually make a good show of it against roach play or in a blink/obs build on Antiga, because:
a) Blink micro doesn't take as much APM as you might think and
b) People that are efficient clickers but poor multi-taskers can have enough hand speed for battle APM and still have low APM overall.

After all, when I play Terran or Zerg my Blizzard APM can hit 90 (yes, still low), it's just I find fewer APM dumps for Protoss.
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 09:09 PMPosted by Samson
They have approximately the cost-to-DPS ratio of a Probe. They have less than half the DPS of a Zealot for about twice the cost, and with only slightly more health/shields.

You've only got this part right, plus you don't mention the speed of the unit. Speed is a huge factor and when combined with good control, make this unit far more efficient and deadly than you seem to think.
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 07:52 AMPosted by EllisD

You've only got this part right, plus you don't mention the speed of the unit. Speed is a huge factor and when combined with good control, make this unit far more efficient and deadly than you seem to think.

Speed of the unit?

Slightly slower than a Roach with speed upgrade. Slower than Marines/Marauders when they Stim.
Slower than Zerglings.

The speed of the Stalker is nothing special past the very beginning of the game.
Reply Quote
I hope your trolling.
Reply Quote
Stalkers really aren't that special outside of very specific situations.

Blink all-ins are strong for a reason.. the Protoss units never die if they are controlled properly. They out-range and out-run Zealots, Marines, and Zerglings without speed. They are basically the only units for anti-air unless you are already using a Phoenix or Void Ray build.
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 07:55 AMPosted by Hylozoist

Speed of the unit?

Slightly slower than a Roach with speed upgrade. Slower than Marines/Marauders when they Stim.
Slower than Zerglings.

The speed of the Stalker is nothing special past the very beginning of the game.

Exactly! I don't know why people harp so much about their "speed",when they're slower than any of the units they commonly face for the majority of the match.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]