StarCraft® II

Get rid of Reapers!

Blizzard, please remove the Reaper from the game. It brings nothing positive to the game, and no matter what you do with it, it can only swing between being OP, gimmicky, or useless.

REQUEST A COMPLETELY NEW UNIT: RANGER
-Unarmed bio map-awareness scouting unit
-Has very large sight radius, but cannot see up cliffs
-Can jump up/down cliffs
-Available with construction of Ghost Academy (mid-tier)
-Does not have detection
-Has a burrow-like ability that allows the Ranger to dig-in for better concealment at cost of mobility
-Cost ~75/75

---What a unit like this would add to the game---
Because it's not just another early-game harassment option for terran, I believe this unit would offer a ton of strategic depth to the game. Terran is designed to be positional, which is what makes the race fun. Good map-awareness tools complement a positional play mechanic, rewarding players who spend time & effort setting up good map information networks. Becoming available mid-tier, it wouldn't affect the early game or openers. This unit would allow terran, at the cost of minerals, gas, and supply, to set up an information network similar to creep, just at a much higher cost. It would also yield that boost to mech playstyles you've been looking for, because mech's main drawback has always been getting the right units to the right place in time to be effective.
Reply Quote
I bet some people would find a way to rush/mass them and destroy you.
Reply Quote
Id agree with getting rid of the Reaper. Its the only unit with a soul purpose of base harass, but your idea I'm not so sure about.
Reply Quote
So it's a more expensive, non-flying, non-detecting, non-cloaked observer?
Reply Quote
Regardless, the reaper probably should be removed. It's one of those units that simply doesn't work in this game, and until it's gone or nerfed into oblivion it will continue to cause more headaches than they are worth.

Personally, I'm not sure Terran really needs another scouting unit. We have scans, hellions, cloaked units, and lifted buildings that do this job fairly well. That in mind, I wouldn't mind seeing the Raven get a slight speed buff so that it's more on par with the Observer and the Oversear.
Reply Quote
I agree with removing the Reaper. But the unit you want just wouldn't be good. Reapers are also the unit of harass. But so are hellions. So reapers should be gone. But then hellions would have to be outfitted with more stuff then the war
car or something mode. It just wouldn't do it
Edited by SlnderBurito on 1/6/2013 5:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
I totally agree with removing the reaper, it's use does not go past 6 min mark as a scouting / harass unit, and overlap too much with hellion as a worker harass unit.

Reaper in Hots:

TvP shuts down by stalker and mothership core.
TvZ shuts down by queens.
TvT...forces reaper opening or die. Now Terran blindly build Marauder to counter reaper.

As for ranger...it's a pretty good unit I feel, why? because Terran needs a scout ahead when they move their army. As well, Terran Lack the ability to scout for zerg composition in mid-late game.

Is he going Broodlord? Is he going Ultralisk? Scan? sure, oops too bad the creep covers 3/4 of the map and his army is not outside his 3rd or natrual, I guess I will just find out his army composition when I engage!)

Another idea is that Ranger Does extra damage to building, and can only attack building. What does this do? this allows for strategic sniping, for example, snipe robo to slow down colosus production. This does not overlap with hellion harass, and more importantly, it's a unit that you can use all game instead of just the first 6 minutes or so.

In TvZ, Ranger helps --> scout where the zerg army is, and know the proper time to siege up!

In TvT, Ranger helps --> scout where Marine tank is, and know where to position their tank + run past their army for counter attack.

In TvP Ranger helps --> scout where the Protoss death ball is, and may pre split for storm / colosus.

Having said that, Terran need a Cool spellcaster unit though, both Z and P gets them in Hots, where is the love for T uhn?
Edited by FCPX on 1/6/2013 11:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Reapers are the most entertaining unit in the game to me... and you wanna replace it with... something that basically scouts, which the reaper can do already if you know how to multitask slightly decently.... yeah idk about that >_>
Reply Quote
IMO!!! We should kill the reaper AND the widow mine, and bring back the vulture but slightly more expensive/higher tier, and a little faster than in BW.
Reply Quote
TelFiRE

IMO!!! We should kill the reaper AND the widow mine, and bring back the vulture but slightly more expensive/higher tier, and a little faster than in BW.

How many times do they have to say they're not bringing any bw units back before people stop talking about how they should bring them back? It's really silly...
Reply Quote
TelFiRE

How many times do they have to say they're not bringing any bw units back before people stop talking about how they should bring them back? It's really silly...

Bro. I do believe a while back they did say lurkers were coming with the LotV xpac.
Reply Quote
I agree somewhat with this. As a primary Terran player, I've tried using reapers to my advantage. Their jetpacks allow me to bypass obstacles (Rocks, cliffs, etc.), but they lack weapon skills and the life necessary to become an effective strike force. However, if a ranger were implemented, it would have to be very low cost, about a marine, due to its lack of self-defense that only relies on its cliff-jumping to avoid enemy units.
Reply Quote
I would agree to remove the reaper. As others have stated, its purpose is really linear and limited. But, the OP also shows the opposing issue. It is hard to come up with a logical replacement. As much as I would like to see the reaper stay in campaign only, I am also a strong supporter of any unit removed from multiplayer should be compensated for, regardless of how big or small the hole the missing unit leaves.
Reply Quote

Bro. I do believe a while back they did say lurkers were coming with the LotV xpac.

The Lurker is datamined and on the Wiki, but I am not sure there has been an official confirmation. Will welcome back one of my favorite units with open arms, if it is true, but lets not start putting up balloons and streamers just yet.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 01:57 AMPosted by Syrekroth
Yeahuh, sure, if they do bring lurkers back to ladder I might just stop playing multiplayer cause it would just be another broodwar. P.S. Don't call me bro if you don't even know anything about me more than a user name, I don't take it as friendly I find it annoying.
Edited by ZellBeast on 1/29/2013 3:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Boomtown

Blizzard, please remove the Reaper from the game. It brings nothing positive to the game, and no matter what you do with it, it can only swing between being OP, gimmicky, or useless.

REQUEST A COMPLETELY NEW UNIT: RANGER
-Unarmed bio map-awareness scouting unit
-Has very large sight radius, but cannot see up cliffs
-Can jump up/down cliffs
-Available with construction of Ghost Academy (mid-tier)
-Does not have detection
-Has a burrow-like ability that allows the Ranger to dig-in for better concealment at cost of mobility
-Cost ~75/75

---What a unit like this would add to the game---
Because it's not just another early-game harassment option for terran, I believe this unit would offer a ton of strategic depth to the game. Terran is designed to be positional, which is what makes the race fun. Good map-awareness tools complement a positional play mechanic, rewarding players who spend time & effort setting up good map information networks. Becoming available mid-tier, it wouldn't affect the early game or openers. This unit would allow terran, at the cost of minerals, gas, and supply, to set up an information network similar to creep, just at a much higher cost. It would also yield that boost to mech playstyles you've been looking for, because mech's main drawback has always been getting the right units to the right place in time to be effective.

Ok, so they remove the reapers, lets remove banelings and stalkers, good fair, equal, just because you lose to them doesnt mean you need to go on a forum and troll about removing them, if your losing to them, change your build and actually scout your opponent.
Reply Quote

Ok, so they remove the reapers, lets remove banelings and stalkers, good fair, equal, just because you lose to them doesnt mean you need to go on a forum and troll about removing them, if your losing to them, change your build and actually scout your opponent.

+1!
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 11:19 AMPosted by xXMcLovinXx

+1
Reply Quote
But...reapers are cool man! If only they stopped dying all the time...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]