StarCraft® II

New Campaign Units? Or Only New Variations?

There has been a lot of coverage on how we will be able to make an 'evolution split' choice in the HotS campaign. It's been the only thing covered in terms of previews for 'new' units in the campaign.

Will we only be seeing new variations of units that we are already familiar with? Variations of the viper, swarm host, and lurker would be cool, but will there be units we've never seen before?

I would love to see some really cool new ideas for Zerg units that the art team may have come up with, and the campaign is the perfect place to do so.

Probably won't be able to confirm it until the expansion is released in march, but does anyone know if there will be?
Reply Quote
There will be. This is confirmed (but not officially).
Reply Quote
Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation! :D
Just more reasons to be excited for this expansion, I can hardly wait!
Reply Quote
Supposedly you will be able to command at least Brutalisks and other critters that you saw in WoL. Whether you can mass them is another question. I'm sure you can get an omegalisk at some point but it will be similar to the Odin.
Reply Quote
12/29/2012 10:42 PMPosted by Uriel
Supposedly you will be able to command at least Brutalisks and other critters that you saw in WoL. Whether you can mass them is another question. I'm sure you can get an omegalisk at some point but it will be similar to the Odin.

Oh alright, that would be cool i didn't think of those :). Being able to use all those cool units we've only been able to fight against until now is something I'll be looking forward to for sure!

I did some research and found that there might be a unit called a "Behemoth", which thus far has only appeared in the lore from the novels about StarCraft.

"The largest space faring creature in the charted galaxy"

Really interested in seeing this one.
Reply Quote
It is confirmed that the Brood War units are returning, such as the Guardian, Devourer, Defiler, Lurker, and the old Queen which goes by a new name. Other then that, I'm sure there are going to be Infested Terran to be controlled, and maybe a Leviathan or two.

Add them, Vipers, and Swarm Hosts to all the units currently in, and you're going to have one dang packed Larva screen. If they can manage to cram some extra units in there, then you may see some new units.
Reply Quote
hmm i womder if gestalt zero will be in swarm hmm???
Reply Quote
It is confirmed that the Brood War units are returning, such as the Guardian, Devourer, Defiler, Lurker, and the old Queen which goes by a new name. Other then that, I'm sure there are going to be Infested Terran to be controlled, and maybe a Leviathan or two.

Add them, Vipers, and Swarm Hosts to all the units currently in, and you're going to have one dang packed Larva screen. If they can manage to cram some extra units in there, then you may see some new units.

I definitely see what you're saying, but one fantastic thing about Zerg is that they can morph many of their existing units into different units that fill new roles. So i don't think the command card will be 'over stuffed'.

With that said, i believe we will see a good handful of new (never before seen) units to play with both on the command card itself and through new morphs, which is what I'm most interested in seeing. Learning about the different kinds of Zerg that can exist [when making new strains isn't normally practical due to multiplayer (ie: if there's no reason to, don't spend time and money on doing it)] has always interested me personally. Highlighting that experience by assimilating these new strains of Zerg into the swarm myself, (through finding a variety of new species on new planets) in addition to the new variations that we already know will exist, is why this campaign is one that i am -to put it lightly- very excited for as a Zerg fan and player.

12/31/2012 11:49 PMPosted by SuperGamer
hmm i womder if gestalt zero will be in swarm hmm???

That would certainly be interesting! I wouldn't expect though, since it is a Zerg centric expansion, perhaps in LotV no? :)
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 06:14 AMPosted by Acrafire
I definitely see what you're saying, but one fantastic thing about Zerg is that they can morph many of their existing units into different units that fill new roles. So i don't think the command card will be 'over stuffed'.

Well, considering that the command card is a 3x5, and there are 9 initial units plus the Viper and SH, that leaves 4 extra slots for new units. I'm also slightly worried about LotV.
It isn't actually that big a deal, but I don't want Blizzard to end up cutting units for more space.

And as for brand new units:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28iRo1YLPLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa-IZ_Y98L0
Granted, they aren't "units" per say, but they are cool new stuff.
Reply Quote
Well, considering that the command card is a 3x5, and there are 9 initial units plus the Viper and SH, that leaves 4 extra slots for new units. I'm also slightly worried about LotV.
It isn't actually that big a deal, but I don't want Blizzard to end up cutting units for more space.

And as for brand new units:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28iRo1YLPLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa-IZ_Y98L0
Granted, they aren't "units" per say, but they are cool new stuff.

Ah I see! Fair enough, I'm not going to worry about it much. I'm sure blizzard figured out a way past any minor issues.

Regarding the new units, yep I've got the beta so I've played around with the nydus' they're really cool :) hoping they make it into multiplayer still. If not I'm sure they'll be in the campaign since the art already exists, so why not right?

The creature in the first video looks like it's from Zerus, can't wait to see how it falls into the plot!
Reply Quote
If they end up needing more space on the command card, they can always add an arrow to the bottom right corner that simply opens up a new pages. Yeah, it's slightly slower, but it's campaign, so that's not a huge deal.
Reply Quote

Source?
Reply Quote
I hope this would help ya all!

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?15011-List-of-new-HotS-campaign-units-tilesets-Kerrigan-abilities-amp-upgrades

and these :D

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=394643
Edited by Antares on 1/27/2013 4:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wow, that Team Liquid post is packed with info! Thanks for the link!
Reply Quote
that's epic :-) i loved those old units.
Reply Quote
Here's something to think about. Let's assume that, like Wings of Liberty, every mission except the first one and the last three introduces one new unit.

1. Larva/Drone/Overlord/Zergling/Baneling
2. Roach
3. Hydralisk
4. Queen
5. Overseer?
6. Mutalisk
7. Corruptor
8. Swarm Host
9. Nydus Worm?
10. Infestor
11. Viper
12. Broodlord
13. Ultralisk
14. ?
15. ?
16. ?
17. ?
18. nothing
19. nothing
20. nothing

That would leave four spaces open for returning units. Now, there are six units from SC1 who could come back; Lurker, Scourge, Queen Classic, Defiler, Guardian, and Devourer. So the final unit list might look something like this:

1. Larva/Drone/Overlord/Zergling/Baneling
2. Roach
3. Hydralisk
4. Queen
5. Overseer?
6. Mutalisk
7. Lurker
8. Corruptor
9. Scourge
10. Swarm Host
11. Nydus Worm?
12. Infestor
13. Queen Classic
14. Viper/Defiler?
15. Brood Lord
16. Guardian?/Devourer?
17. Ultralisk
18. nothing
19. nothing
20. nothing

What do you think? Are there two SC1 units that you wouldn't mind seeing left out in the cold? Do you think they might introduce more than one unit in the same mission? Nydus Worms are technically structures, so maybe they won't count as units? The Raven was an optional unit in WoL, so maybe the Overseer will also be optional?

I know we'll find out in a few weeks, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Cinematic
Source?

The text files in the Beta HotS folder. You can check if you have beta access.
Reply Quote
Here's something to think about. Let's assume that, like Wings of Liberty, every mission except the first one and the last three introduces one new unit.

Heart of the Swarm isn't going to be the same as WoL. There may be 3 missions with no new units, but with 20 missions I'd think it's more like 2.

Starcraft 1, BW, WoL, and even Warcraft have a theme. The first mission begins off as a combat mission with a select few units to control. I'm guessing that HotS will follow that theme, and will start you off with Zerglings/Kerrigan. (1)

Then the next mission will introduce Drones and Overlords.(2) Spine Crawlers would fit in here,(3) and after that Banelings will join the fray.(4) Roaches will come next,(5) followed by Hydras.(6) Then, going by the gameplay people got to preview at Blizzcon the next mission will be a solo Larva mission which at the end will introduce Queens.(7)

From here it gets foggy. The Swarm Host would probably come in around this time.(8) Mutalisks might join in the party on the next mission along with Scourge.(9) Nydus Worms would arrive,(10) and as a wild guess the next mission would be a solo mission with Infestors.(11) Now that I'm treading in very deep waters, I'll list them off as I see them: Corruptors,(12) Vipers,(13) Ultralisks,(14) Brood Lords.(15) In the trailer for HotS there was a Terran mini-campaign, which I assume has 1-2 missions, which will fit somewhere in between all these missions. I'll go with 2 missions for now.(16-17)

People have been looking through the beta files and finding stuff like Guardians, Devourers, Queen Classic, and Defilers, all with the title "Primal." I'm guessing you will have to face off with an army of these old fashioned units, and maybe incorporate a couple into the Swarm, most likely the Defiler.(18) This leaves us with 2 less then 20, which adds up quite nicely.

Btw, there are Evo-split minimissions to play. I'm not counting them, but they will probably be kind of fun little things to play.
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Martiny
In the trailer for HotS there was a Terran mini-campaign, which I assume has 1-2 missions, which will fit somewhere in between all these missions.

Are you refering to this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfCdCX2CJFA&feature=player_embedded

I think you might have seen one of the multiplayer videos and mistook it for part of the campaign. I don't see anything that confirms a mini-campaign of any sort.

People have been looking through the beta files and finding stuff like Guardians, Devourers, Queen Classic, and Defilers, all with the title "Primal."

While there are "primal" versions of some old units, as well as some new ones (the files point out primal roaches, primal banelings, and primal corruptors by name), there are also non-primal versions of every old unit in the files. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be part of Kerrigan's army at any point, but I just wanted to clarify that old units aren't universally primal.

Btw, there are Evo-split minimissions to play. I'm not counting them, but they will probably be kind of fun little things to play.

I wonder if drones and overlords will have their own mutations/evolutions. It was confirmed in an interview that crawlers will not. SCVs never had their own mission in WoL, but did get their own upgrades in the armory after completing any eight missions.
Reply Quote
Are you refering to this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfCdCX2CJFA&feature=player_embedded

I think you might have seen one of the multiplayer videos and mistook it for part of the campaign. I don't see anything that confirms a mini-campaign of any sort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG_3R9BoVvg

About 1:07. This is a little old, but the campaign hasn't changed much over the course of time. I read somewhere that it's going to be a mission with you controlling the Hyperion, and you being able to upgrade it's weapons and abilities and stuff, kinda like this custom map, Star Battle I think.

While there are "primal" versions of some old units, as well as some new ones (the files point out primal roaches, primal banelings, and primal corruptors by name), there are also non-primal versions of every old unit in the files. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be part of Kerrigan's army at any point, but I just wanted to clarify that old units aren't universally primal.

Granted. Still, the fact that we might be facing off with old units is likely.

I wonder if drones and overlords will have their own mutations/evolutions. It was confirmed in an interview that crawlers will not. SCVs never had their own mission in WoL, but did get their own upgrades in the armory after completing any eight missions.

Nope. Those come as abilities for Kerrigan, like spawning Overlords instantly and them granting more supply, or Drones morphing 2 at a time at no extra cost. There are plenty of links to interviews, Ign, and testers on the Forums, you can probably find some because I'm to lazy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]