StarCraft® II

[UPDATE] Details on Mac OS X 10.6 Support

(Sticky)

Community Manager
[Update 1/7/2014]
Back in December 2012, with the impending release of patch 2.0, we announced that Mac OS X 10.6 will no longer be supported, and recommended upgrading to at least OS X 10.7.5. We hope you have had a chance to upgrade, as our support for OS X 10.6 will officially drop in the upcoming patch. Apple has made an upgrade much easier by releasing OS X 10.9 Mavericks for free.

Mac OS X 10.7 and Mac OS X 10.8 will continue to be fully supported, as explained in our Mac OS Support policy.

For more Mac-related information and help, please visit our support site.

---

In an upcoming patch, players using Mac OS X 10.6 will be presented with a message stating that we will no longer support Mac OS X 10.6 in the weeks prior to the launch of Heart of the Swarm with patch 2.0. During this time, you will be able to continue playing; however, once patch 2.0 is officially released, Mac OS X 10.6 will no longer be supported. We recommend Mac users upgrade their systems to Mac OS X 10.7.5 (or newer) as soon as possible.

We are giving players advance notice of this change to ensure Mac users have enough time to update their operating systems in preparation for the release of StarCraft II Patch 2.0 and Heart of the Swarm. We will provide an additional update when we no longer provide technical support for Mac OS X 10.6. Mac OS X 10.7 and Mac OS X 10.8 will continue to be fully supported per the recently posted Mac OS Support policy here. For more Mac-related information and help, visit the support site.
Edited by Velnrak on 7/29/2014 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Wait... So OS X 10.6 is no longer supported?

But it's still supported for WoL right?
Edited by MarkusDaWise on 12/20/2012 7:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
12/20/2012 07:00 PMPosted by MarkusDaWise

When WoL upgrades to 2.0 prior to Swarm, it will no longer be supported.
Reply Quote
Can you clarify this as to "will not support 10.6" mean that if I have purchased the game and install it on 10.6, the game won't run at all or that Blizzard isn't going to be offering support for any problems that might be encountered when running it on 10.6?

EDIT: If this is the case of 100% dropped support (it won't run period) for 10.6, then it is rather unfair to say that a game that shipped with this support is now going to drop it completely and leave anyone that bought it with a forced upgrade.

It is one thing to drop older OS support for a new game, such as HotS, however dropping it for WoL as well seems like a kick in the teeth to those that just pre-ordered HotS with the knowledge that it would run on 10.6.
Edited by dirkgently on 12/21/2012 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
So if I have preordered a copy of the beta for Mac and I only can own a 10.6, how can Blizzard's historically accomadating staff help me? Or are my Starcraft days numbered?
Reply Quote
This is annoying you know.

But it's not entirely Blizzard's fault.
Apple keeps moving too quickly.

You can't install Warcraft 3 or player Starcraft 1 on 10.7, and you can't play HOTS on 10.6........

Better to have the Latest Mac OS, and have Crossover for the older games.
Reply Quote
This is annoying you know.

But it's not entirely Blizzard's fault.
Apple keeps moving too quickly.

You can't install Warcraft 3 or player Starcraft 1 on 10.7, and you can't play HOTS on 10.6........

Better to have the Latest Mac OS, and have Crossover for the older games.

It isn't just HotS, it is also WoL that will lose 10.6 support. It is completely unacceptable to ship a title and then completely drop support without giving us a clear and descriptive reason as to why this is happening.
Reply Quote
I suggest that you all stop complaining and be lucky you have an easy way to upgrade your OS. I had to call Apple and buy 10.6 when they discontinued 10.5 after the SC 1.5 patch.

By the way, I called it. Even more people would be angry when they discontinue 10.6 support for SC.
Reply Quote

It isn't just HotS, it is also WoL that will lose 10.6 support. It is completely unacceptable to ship a title and then completely drop support without giving us a clear and descriptive reason as to why this is happening.

Except it is completely acceptable.

My reasoning: Blizzard should not be forced to support an Apple OS that even Apple itself no longer supports.

Also, it's in the ToS that Blizzard can change the minimum system requirements at any time. You're given a fair warning... that's better than what most companies would do.
Reply Quote

Except it is completely acceptable.

My reasoning: Blizzard should not be forced to support an Apple OS that even Apple itself no longer supports.

Also, it's in the ToS that Blizzard can change the minimum system requirements at any time. You're given a fair warning... that's better than what most companies would do.

No, most companies would leave support in place. There is literally no reason to drop support like this without giving a proper reason. Dropping support for HotS is understandable, but not for WoL.
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Cloaken

When WoL upgrades to 2.0 prior to Swarm, it will no longer be supported.

D:

So... So... Even if we don't buy swarm we still can't play WoL? That's just stupid. :(

How come nobody likes Mac's?
Reply Quote
12/23/2012 08:23 PMPosted by dirkgently
There is literally no reason to drop support like this without giving a proper reason. Dropping support for HotS is understandable, but not for WoL.

What are you talking about? You have the reason, though perhaps you don't understand it. Apple no longer supports the OS, so blizzard can't reasonably do so.

Do you think SC2 runs on windows 98? XP is still supported by microsoft - so starcraft 2 still works on it. I would expect SC2 to stop working on XP when microsoft drops support too, but that's still over 2 years away.

You could potentially make an argument you should be able to play offline with an older version(that was designed for 1.6), but the newer versions will never work.
Reply Quote
Well that is rather unfortunate...seeing as I don't like supporting apples new releases from week to week to begin with...
Reply Quote
I'm ok with this move to remove support for 10.6 in WoL. But I'd like to know why is this so. Is there some technical reason that forced this move?

Regarding this I did read this:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/heart-of-the-swarm-preview/faq
Will there be any technical upgrades to the graphics engine?
We’ll be making some improvements to the graphics, including upgrades to the look and behavior of zerg creep, as well as some changes that allow our artists to better showcase the new types of planets that Kerrigan will explore in Heart of the Swarm. We still plan to keep the minimum hardware requirements the same for this expansion set as they were in Wings of Liberty – details can be found on the Blizzard Support site.

Also on this page:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirements
It says HotS only wants a minimum of XP on the windows side. That's an ancient OS be comparison.

I am not against this move to 10.7+ for HotS on the Mac side. I just have 2 questions.

1. Can you let us know what the reasoning was behind the move to 10.7+ only for HotS
2. Why is the Mac side required OS fairly recent when the Windows side minimum requires OS (XP) rather ancient. Why this big difference?

12/26/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Slurf
What are you talking about? You have the reason, though perhaps you don't understand it. Apple no longer supports the OS, so blizzard can't reasonably do so.

That makes no sense. Microsoft no longer officially supports XP but Blizzard still do and you can play HotS on XP. So that line of reasoning can't be true, unless it's different for Windows and OS X.
Edited by theeighthark on 12/26/2012 6:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 06:00 PMPosted by theeighthark
Microsoft no longer officially supports XP but Blizzard still do and you can play HotS on XP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Support_lifecycle

On April 8, 2014, all support for Windows XP, including security updates and hotfixes, will be terminated. Users will still be able to download old updates and hotfixes from Windows Update. Microsoft recommends that users upgrade to Windows 7.

I couldn't find a good citation for mac, but the "unofficial" policy seems to be current(10.8) and previous(10.7) continue to get security updates.

You guys aren't gonna get an answer that's different than what I've given, though it's possible blizzard will respond again.
Reply Quote

No, most companies would leave support in place. There is literally no reason to drop support like this without giving a proper reason. Dropping support for HotS is understandable, but not for WoL.

They can't keep supporting an operating system that is considered end-of-life by the developer. 10.6 is NOT getting updates of any kind anymore and it's forever stuck on older versions of OpenGL. It's for the better of the game that they cut it loose considering the unsupported status.

Apple moves fast and doesn't prioritize keeping old operating systems around as would say Microsoft. On the plus side the OS upgrades are super cheap, 20 dollars - that's well worth it, especially for 10.8 which is a much better OS than 10.6.
Reply Quote
2. Why is the Mac side required OS fairly recent when the Windows side minimum requires OS (XP) rather ancient. Why this big difference?

Because Microsoft is still supporting XP. With Apple dropping their more "archaic" releases for their yearly updates, Blizzard can't be expected to sink development time into an OS that the original developers don't even bother to support.

12/23/2012 08:23 PMPosted by dirkgently

Aside from the obvious case of Microsoft supporting Windows XP, please name a few companies that are willing to support 3 year old software that is 2 major builds behind. Major being relative, I suppose. But that's besides the point. And MSFT doesn't even really count because it was a forced hand. I'm sure they wouldn't support it if they didn't have to, but Windows 7 only overtook XP in market share this September.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
If Wol and Hots are integrated into one game, like SC and BW were, then they both will have and will need identical requirements.

I get what you mean by 'leave Wol on an older version' but that wont be possible if the above is true.
Reply Quote
Giving players a heads-up after they've already pre-purchased Heart of the Swarm isn't exactly the most kindest approach. It would seem the dev team has been planning this for quite some time, enough time to anticipate the launch of Heart of the Swarm ... therefore I think it's only right that this should have been announced months ago, maybe even as far back as mid-summer. I bought the game with the assumption it was going to work when I downloaded it, since nothing had been posted indicating otherwise. I'm sure the Terms of Service has a clause that protects Blizzard's decision to not support 10.6 at their discretion. Nonetheless, it's still an egregious inconvenience, not to mention it forces players to pitch in another $30 for a whole system upgrade just to play one game that at the time of its purchase was previously fully supported.

:|
Reply Quote
Just get a desktop???? I mean seriously guys if you are going to game get something you can actually game on. You can buy a desktop and upgrade it when ever your graphics card is out of date and only pay $200 or you can buy a mac and pay 2k every upgrade. And if you knew what was in a mac you would have switched to microsoft by now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]