StarCraft® II

[UPDATE] Details on Mac OS X 10.6 Support

(Sticky)

Support Forum Agent
Giving players a heads-up after they've already pre-purchased Heart of the Swarm isn't exactly the most kindest approach.

The system requirements when HotS first was available for pre-purchase included 10.7+ are the only supported OS.

The Mac OS X Support Policy pretty much outlines reasons why an OS may not be supported in the future.
Edited by Machkhan on 1/2/2013 8:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 07:08 AMPosted by Machkhan
Giving players a heads-up after they've already pre-purchased Heart of the Swarm isn't exactly the most kindest approach.

The [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirements"]system requirements[/url] when HotS first was available for pre-purchase included 10.7+ are the only supported OS.

The [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/mac-os-x-support"]Mac OS X Support Policy[/url] pretty much outlines reasons why an OS may not be supported in the future.

On the day that the pre-orders were made available, the system requirements pages were directed at the Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty system requirements (at least at the time of my viewing of them and my pre-order). At that time, 10.6.8 was listed as the lowest supported OS. It may very well have been the case of someone not updating the linkage at the time. My opinion on this is that it should have been made more clear. At the time of pre-order and prior to this post it seems pretty clear that the beta did indeed work on 10.6.8. The fact that you are dropping support for this OS in your NEW title isn't as much of a concern as the fact you are dropping it from your OLD title on the whim of a new engine or graphical options. While it might take extra time to add in toggles to disable these new features to WoL, there shouldn't be a reason why you drop your shipping platforms while it can still run on them just fine.
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 12:06 PMPosted by dirkgently

The [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirements"]system requirements[/url] when HotS first was available for pre-purchase included 10.7+ are the only supported OS.

The [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/mac-os-x-support"]Mac OS X Support Policy[/url] pretty much outlines reasons why an OS may not be supported in the future.

On the day that the pre-orders were made available, the system requirements pages were directed at the Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty system requirements (at least at the time of my viewing of them and my pre-order). At that time, 10.6.8 was listed as the lowest supported OS. It may very well have been the case of someone not updating the linkage at the time. My opinion on this is that it should have been made more clear. At the time of pre-order and prior to this post it seems pretty clear that the beta did indeed work on 10.6.8. The fact that you are dropping support for this OS in your NEW title isn't as much of a concern as the fact you are dropping it from your OLD title on the whim of a new engine or graphical options. While it might take extra time to add in toggles to disable these new features to WoL, there shouldn't be a reason why you drop your shipping platforms while it can still run on them just fine.
I would like to explain a few things and I understand what you are saying.

Okay heres a few details which the blizzard CMs haven't gone into in this thread.

1. WoL and HoTS, will be 1 Client, With an option to switch between expansions so both will be on a single client, so therefore both will HAVE to have the same framwork.
I. This helps make it so you dont have a 32 Gb folder of just starcraft with duplicated models, since HoTS will be modifying MANY pre made models, all the way down to the marine adding rag-doll. So this will keep the files a bit smaller. Which in turn will help all mappers so we can put our maps with varying mods on Both WoL and HoTS, this also allows future updates to the engine. But unfortunatly things will have to be dropped, and since 10.6 runs on old openGL, thats one of them.

Luckily its cheap to upgrade from what I hear, like 20-30$ is what people are saying.
Reply Quote
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS BLIZZARD!?!? it makes no sense whatsoever, all you're doing is losing profit. I played sc2 for 2 years then you made it so i had to get snow leopard to play it EVEN THOUGH THE GAME WAS EXACTLY THE SAME. Now if I wanted to get the game I WOULD NEED MOUNTAIN LION????? makes no sense, you're making a horrible mistake!
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 11:03 PMPosted by IShadowWolf
Luckily its cheap to upgrade from what I hear, like 20-30$ is what people are saying.

It's not always a price issue, some people don't update because they don't like the new direction of the OS. Look at the slow adoption rate of Vista/Win 8.

Of course 10.6 support would end eventually, but it's interesting that Blizzard is pulling the plug now rather than in a year or so. The Steam software survey from December 2012* still has 20% of their mac players on 10.6.8. The % running 10.5 was a quarter of that (if even) when Blizzard dropped 10.5 support.

Maybe they're seeing dramatically different numbers? Or the Mac slice is so small they don't care.

* Ref: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=mac
Edited by Troyen on 1/4/2013 6:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 06:54 PMPosted by Troyen

It's not always a price issue, some people don't update because they don't like the new direction of the OS. Look at the slow adoption rate of Vista/Win 8.

Of course 10.6 support would end eventually, but it's interesting that Blizzard is pulling the plug now rather than in a year or so. The Steam software survey from December 2012* still has 20% of their mac players on 10.6.8. The % running 10.5 was a quarter of that (if even) when Blizzard dropped 10.5 support.

Maybe they're seeing dramatically different numbers? Or the Mac slice is so small they don't care.

* Ref: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=mac

That really isn't an accurate judgement, mac usage of steam has gone down SIGNIFICANTLY since launch of stats on it.
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 01:36 PMPosted by BeautyQueen
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS BLIZZARD!?!? it makes no sense whatsoever, all you're doing is losing profit. I played sc2 for 2 years then you made it so i had to get snow leopard to play it EVEN THOUGH THE GAME WAS EXACTLY THE SAME. Now if I wanted to get the game I WOULD NEED MOUNTAIN LION????? makes no sense, you're making a horrible mistake!

You need Lion... As described in the link the mod gave... Lion is 10.7, Mountain Lion is 10.8... Research before you rage immaturely for no reason whatsoever in the future, please.

edit -
Upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7
Contact Apple (1-800-MY-APPLE) and purchase a 10.7 redemption code to download from the Mac App store. Once purchased, you'll see Lion appear in the Purchased tab of the App Store.

Upgrading 10.6/10.7 to 10.8
Follow the instructions located on the Upgrading to OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) support page

basically explains that Mountain Lion is 10.8 in that segment of the page and Lion is 10.7 etc...
Edited by Elite on 1/9/2013 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Is there a way for me to get a refund for my pre-ordered 40$ copy of heart of the swarm as I am now going to be forever unable to play? I ordered it when Blizzard had stuff saying it would run on Mac computers AND before this message was posted so it seems unfair for me to be out 40 with no way to get it back after I was phased out after buying the product.

And when I looked at system requirements it linked me to the WoL requirements so that it showed windows 10.6 (Which I have) would work. :(
kinda sucks to have to pay $40 for the game expect to it work and get screwed and end up having to pay $20 more for a new OS. Can't wait for them to change it once again so my computer won't run due to some other problem and spend more money =( kinda hurts Blizzard. Kinda hurts.
Edited by evan on 1/10/2013 9:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
It's undoubtedly due to Mac graphics drivers, they're tied to your OS X version, 10.6 graphics will never be updated again (last update was July 25, 2011), plus 10.7's OpenGL stack is more modern and 10.8 is more modern still. As a mac gamer, you should realize you've got to run the latest OS to have the latests graphics drivers. Windows isn't this way and as such XP is supported.

But I really wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it, both Lion and Mt Lion are only $20. If you're computer's max OS is Lion, you can call apple, buy it over the phone and they'll send you a code for the mac app store. Also there is always bootcamp.
Reply Quote
Seriously? I'm sure you can get a refund but raging about a company doing what is best for themselves (and most consumers) is kinda silly. If your operation system is out of date and was dropped (should expect Apple to move on quickly to the next "big" thing...just look at those poor Iphone 5 users) you should really upgrade. And hell it is only 20.00...hell that is cheap.
Reply Quote
Hello ,I would like to clarify something : even if I don't buy HoTS, I won't be able to play my copy of WoL on my mac 10.6 ?????
Is there a way to just "block" the update, so I can at least still play the game, even if I don't get the updates ????
That's kind of stupid to be forced to upgrade an OS just to play WoL, which is running fine on my machine.
Edited by geniva on 1/16/2013 2:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hello ,I would like to clarify something : even if I don't buy HoTS, I won't be able to play my copy of WoL on my mac 10.6 ?????
Is there a way to just "block" the update, so I can at least still play the game, even if I don't get the updates ????
That's kind of stupid to be forced to upgrade an OS just to play WoL, which is running fine on my machine.

You would have to bypass the blizzard patcher and play offline only.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
To clarify, even if you just have WoL, both WoL licenses and HotS licenses will be running at the same patch version. The license will just determine what content you have access to, just like in World of Warcraft.
Edited by Machkhan on 1/17/2013 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
I never understood this about Macs. It's not just Blizzard either. A LOT of programs just drop compatibility for older OS versions while with Windows pretty much everything will still run on Windows XP and that's 11+ years old now.

EDIT: Except for Direct3D 10/11 only games which won't run on XP (but will still run on Vista) A lot of games still have a Direct3D 9 mode. The point is that OSX 10.6 came out in 2009. XP came out in 2001, Vista in 2007 and both of those still run pretty much everything.
Edited by DeeBo on 1/16/2013 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
The point is that OSX 10.6 came out in 2009. XP came out in 2001, Vista in 2007 and both of those still run pretty much everything.

Right, but driver updates are not independent updates like in Windows operating systems.
  • I can update my drivers for my graphic card in Windows XP to the latest version; however the latest drivers for Mac are in the current versions of OS X.

Snow Leopard does not receive updates (except for security updates), so you're running on drivers from 2011. Our games are designed for the latest drivers and updates. This is one of the factors that developers consider.
Edited by Machkhan on 1/17/2013 3:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've had the Beta for about 2.5 months now and have never played it. I just want to play. This is kind of ridiculous. I have always supported Blizzard through thick and thin, but having to work so hard to get a key just to get to watch everyone else enjoy it is a little unfair. Any guess to when Mac users will finally be able to play?
Reply Quote
I'm going to take a guess that part of the support reason has to do with GLcore support in 10.7. Introduced in 10.7 is a new OpenGL library that's rewritten from grounds up and include support for OpenGL 3.2 Core Profile. The older 'legacy' library is kept around for compability reasons with older 10.6.

The new library is much faster but switching to it means droping pre-10.7 OS support. A lot OpenGL applications on mac have been going through the same transition and droping earlier version.
Reply Quote
I am getting warnings that my system (snow leopard) will no longer be supported. As you know, moving to lion or mountain lion disables certain legacy software. This is not simply a convenient upgrade. It is currently impossible for me to lose access to that software because this is also my work machine, so updating is not an option for me. I have read through this thread and I would like something clarified. Once 2.0 comes out, will my WoL stop functioning? Or will it simply go unsupported? The former is completely unacceptable.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Late to discussion. But this issue comes up a lot when OS is dropped. To put bluntly. This is mainly an APPLE issue.

Let me explain some differences between Windows and OS X

Windows
1. Drivers are provided by 3rd parties that make actual cards, even for old windows versions. Emphasis on underlined part. Even when an OS like XP is supported. You have to realize that it still has current video drivers that maintain compatibility with latest games.
2. Microsoft actually supports their oses longer. Plain and simple. They give them updates FAR longer than apple does. 5+ years of actual features or enhancements. even longer for security.

OS X
1. Drivers are controlled by apple. if apple stops supporting OS, you stop getting ANY driver updates. This means that when new games ship or get upgrades to graphics engine, etc that will require a driver update, they cannot simply tell you to "go to ati/nvidia webpage and download newest drivers" like they can on windows. Therefor, they have NO CHOICE but to drop the OS that has the inferior drivers that aren't compatible with their game.
2. Couple number 1 with number 2. Apple supports their OS maybe 1 or 2 years tops, then they are flat out done with it. They upgrade their OS and dump the old one almost day 1. Usually releasing one FINAL update after a new OS ships that ends the previous OS FOR GOOD. No new drivers, no new bug fixes, nothing. You MAY get a new iTunes or safari or quicktime update. You may even get security updates another year or two. Beyond that though, you get no support. If apple doesn't support the OS, then game companies like blizzard can't either. That is what this boils down to.

You're grievances are understandable, but your anger is directed at wrong party. You have to understand that this is very much an Apple issue. That said, one thing that's favorable at least, is that apple prices their OS upgrades reasonable. When a new one ships, you should get it asap because you'll know it means certain doom for old one is near. It's only way you will always have latest drivers and OpenGL available for your games to make use of.

As for solutions for legacy software that doesn't run without rosetta. It's time to research alternatives. lets face it. PPC died in 2006. It's 2013. If you have PPC apps you still depend on, it's time to find some new programs to do your work. As for old games and stuff you enjoy to play from time to time. There are options like playing it in windows/boot camp. Or crossover. Or finding a PPC engine of some sort. Or even, partitioning drive with a 10.6 partition and a 10.8 one. Dual booting on mac is very easy.
Edited by Omega on 1/20/2013 3:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]