StarCraft® II

[UPDATE] Details on Mac OS X 10.6 Support

(Sticky)

Thanks for your reply Omega. A few things:

I would upgrade my system if I possibly could, but I cannot. I'm not going to describe my work, but there is no alternative to what I'm using for the foreseeable future. You can throw out all the options you wish, but there is none right now. Period. I know my business.

The fact of the matter is that I bought SC2 when it came out a year or so ago and I met the minimum system requirements on the box then, and that hasn't changed. I also know software engineering. It is now and has always been a two way street. The developers work with Apple to make software. I bought the original Starcraft 15 years ago when it first came out and guess what? It still works. That took a commitment on Blizzard's part. I am not seeing that kind of Blizzard now. We are talking less than 2 years of commitment. This computer works fine and the drivers are fine. If Blizzard is dropping support for a perfectly functional OS, it is not Apple's fault. That is blame shifting.

I still have not heard anyone say yes or no: will 2.0 run on my snow leopard machine?
Reply Quote
Myron, Patch 2.0 will not run on Snow Leopard. The patch will bring the graphics updates HOTS is getting to WOL. Unfortunately, those updates require graphics drivers that Snow Leopard does not have, and Snow Leopard cannot get them due to how Apple's OS's licensing works.
Reply Quote
Bloody apple maniacs.

Raging at Blizzard when it is Apple that treats their customer base as crap.

Like being a walking dollar sign to 'em yet?
Reply Quote
If you buy a mac and expect to play games...

Then you are going to have a bad time.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
01/20/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Myron
I would upgrade my system if I possibly could, but I cannot. I'm not going to describe my work, but there is no alternative to what I'm using for the foreseeable future. You can throw out all the options you wish, but there is none right now. Period. I know my business.

I have a 10.6 volume in my mac when i want to boot into it. Granted it's easier for a mac pro that has 4 hard drives in it. But with another mac you can repartition too. you don't have to replace 10.6, just install 10.7/10.8 in addition to it on a new partition. there are even programs that may be able to live partition without starting from scratch so you can retain your 10.6 and just instlal 10.8 somewhere else. From there, migrate settings to the newer boot partition. It may take a good day to set it all up. Once one though, you are good to go.

I like having 10.6 around because i'm a sucker for some old PPC games.

01/20/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Myron
I bought the original Starcraft 15 years ago when it first came out and guess what? It still works

they also didn't upgrade the graphics engine in it. At the time technology also evolved MUCH slower. When expansion came out for first starcraft, i don't think technology had really moved forward at all. It was simply more content. Now adays, games evolve at much higher pace. It's important that they do as well to keep up with the pace of computers these days. Apple didn't release new OSes every 1 year either AND abandon the old one when they did. Their OS releases were far more irregular. A lot has changed. There is simply no comparison there. It is very difficult for a game developer to suport 3-4 different OS versions all with different drivers, diffrent opengl versions and often times bugs that are unresolvable as they can't ask apple to fix a 3 year old driver that doesn't agree with something they added to game this year. It doesn't work that way. SO, they just have to require an OS that does work.
Edited by Omega on 1/21/2013 7:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
01/21/2013 06:36 PMPosted by HurricaneRd
If you buy a mac and expect to play games...

Part of the thing that lets me stay with mac, is knowing i can boot windows. Sad but true. I know not all games will get mac ports. I know that not all mac ports will run as good as windows version that has newer techologies for 3d gaming build into their OS vs what apple gives us.

I choose an apple for different reasons. That said, as long as the game is usually playable in OS X, i usually avoid switching to windows when I don't need to. Blizz is pretty good about that at least, provied you keep up with apples OS upgrade plans.
Reply Quote
All I can say is good thing partitioning exists. I'd prefer to run SC2 on Mac OS X, but now that it's only on PC and OSx I can still run it albeit not as conveniently.
Edited by Eliwood on 1/21/2013 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just upgrade to Mountain Lion already folks. The multitouch features, iCloud integration, and look and feel of the OS is much improved since Snow Leopard. Oh, and its only $20 to upgrade. You'll live.
Reply Quote
Looks like no hotS or WoL for me anymore. (on macbook)

Thanks. Thanks a lot.
Reply Quote
So, if I want to continue to play on snow leopard without updating WoL, will I have to disconnect my internet and play offline? any way to keep online features ?

Why don't they add an option in the game launcher to ask if I want to update......
Reply Quote
Apparently, this thread isn't monitored often. Omega, can you officially confirm that my SC2 game will no longer function once 2.0 comes out? I'd like some official word before I start beating the bushes in Blizzard customer service for a partial refund.

Just for perspective, the change from 10.6 to 10.8 is insigificant compared to the change from 8.0 (available when the original starcraft was released) up to 10.6. And through those massive changes, Blizzard maintained the original starcraft. When Apple stopped supporting the pre-OS X software, Blizzard rewrote the game to work and since the installer on the original installer disks no longer worked, the wrote a new installer and posted it on their website for those who bought the CD of the game. That is called support. I want to emphasize that it is not Apple's problem that the game won't function on 10.6 after version 2.0, it is Blizzard's choice. My game works fine now on 10.6, it could work find after 2.0, if Blizzard had wanted it to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. Omega, I did seriously consider partitioning my drive, but it just won't work with what I have going.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 10:09 AMPosted by Myron
My game works fine now on 10.6, it could work find after 2.0, if Blizzard had wanted it to.

You're completely insane if you think any company will support multiplayer for defunct operating systems.
Reply Quote
If Snow Leopard is too old then Blizzard should ditch Windows 7 too, since they came out in the same year.
Reply Quote
12/24/2012 12:46 AMPosted by MarkusDaWise

When WoL upgrades to 2.0 prior to Swarm, it will no longer be supported.

D:

So... So... Even if we don't buy swarm we still can't play WoL? That's just stupid. :(

How come nobody likes Mac's?

You are joking right? that is like saying why dont they keep it updated for windows 2000 NT, go get the new OS, it is NOT like windows... they cost VERY little in comparison. Everyone loves apple. Update your software, it will work fine. Mac users dont update like windows users because old mac software is generally stable and the machines keep running perfectly (unlike windows). Windows users have to keep up to date or their computers dont work. I am sure you would know this if you are a mac user.
Reply Quote
It is very much a shame that I can't get an answer to a simple yes/no question. So much for 'support' on a support forum. I guess I'll wait til 2.0 comes out to find the answer myself. I expected more from these forums.
Reply Quote
I THINK that they're saying that 10.6 will completely fail to run, but it's true that no blues or even greens have clearly stated that this is the case. They really should clarify, since with WoW it's traditional for a Mac OS two builds out of date to get "soft-support" where they still run even if they're not recommended.
Reply Quote
The wording is purposefully ambiguous. They know full well that with an OS change that drops support for older software, there will be a significant number of users who cannot upgrade. Its always this way. The only question is: what do they do about it? At some point, they are going to have to come out and tell us what is happening.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 01:58 AMPosted by iPad
Just upgrade to Mountain Lion already folks. The multitouch features, iCloud integration, and look and feel of the OS is much improved since Snow Leopard. Oh, and its only $20 to upgrade. You'll live.

This is such a useless, frustrating, annoying, and ignorant response that I see far too often when these sorts of issues that come up. Obviously I don't have a Mac for it's amazing gaming abilities - I have a Mac because it is the only option for the type of work that I do. I use many free, independently-written software packages (i.e., software packages written either by myself or others in my line of work that are NOT computer programmers by trade and are not actually paid to write these). Since these are essentially written in the spare time of the authors, they are not updated very frequently, and can take a very long time to be updated to work on new versions of the Mac OS.

I'm not staying with 10.6 for any reason other than the fact that upgrading is simply not a choice, because many of the software packages I use will break, and then I will not be able to use my computer for my job. Gaming is simply a side hobby that I get to enjoy with my computer, which I own primarily for work reasons. Don't assume everybody expressing anger/annoyance/frustration/whatever at the dropping of 10.6 support is some idiot whining because they don't want to spend $20 to upgrade their OS. Reality is often more complicated.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Hey all,

I've got some additional updates on 10.6 systems and StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm/Wings of Liberty 2.0.

• Players with Mac OS X 10.6 will still be able to patch and play both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm; however, we are dropping support for that OS and any bugs caused by that OS may not be fixed.
  • We will be unable to assist with technical support issues caused by the use of Mac OS X 10.6. We recommend upgrading to the newest OS to ensure the best compatibility with Wings of Liberty post patch 2.0 and for Heart of the Swarm.
Edited by Machkhan on 2/3/2013 8:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
That is excellent news Machkhan. Thank you for letting us know. Going unsupported isn't the end of the world. I realize that my OS requirement isn't convenient (for me as well as you). But it is necessary. I'll be happy to run unsupported for now. I figure I'll have all the files I need converted over the next 12 months and then I can switch this machine to lion (or whatever is next). I'm glad to know I'll still be playing SC2 in that time.

Cheers,
-Myron
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]